123 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default What extroversion means to me...

This is going to be one big ramble, so bear with me. Living with someone really makes you face who you really are. Everything you do is reflected back on to you. So I know MBTI theory in theory, but this is what I have discovered in practice:

ENTPs and INTPs are exactly the same as far as hermit behaviors are concerned. It's true that I go out more often than he (the INTP) does, but to be fair, my job makes it so that I have to be personable. And I also have life long connections with people in this area, and he doesn't. In this way, the E and I mean almost nothing.

So how are we different? Yes he's still somehow a P, but he leads with a judging function (Ti). Every statement is loaded and feels definitive. It annoys me that someone could take a hard line with so many things, so often. It comes out as: if he thinks it, it must be true.

Whereas I must annoy him because I feel strongly about something and then do the complete opposite. For me, it's simply because I felt strongly about that yesterday, not that I'm a hypocrite.

But more importantly, I understand the true meaning of extroversion. It's not in the amount of friends I have, it's in the amount of distractions I need. Every night when I go to bed, I put my laptop next to my pillow and turn on some series of tv show on netflix. I then pass out, waking up only when the episode is over and I have to hit play to start the next one. Then I fall promptly asleep again. This goes on for hours, every single night. I can't sleep without something on. But it can't be something I am interested in, or else I'll stay up and be engaged. So it has to be the same old thing over and over again, so I can actively tune it out. My INTP must have seen season 3 of the Office at least 10 times in the past 2 months. I'm not kidding.

If I try to fall asleep with nothing to distract me, my brain goes nuts in ways that I am still coming to terms with. And I only believe it because the little fucker has me on video. I talk to myself. I talk to him. My eyes are open and I appear lucid but the things that come out of my mouth are extraordinary. Just weird shit, all the time.

When I run, I have to listen to music. And I listen to music that I can tune out. Meaning, I have to put my energies into actively ignoring what I am hearing in order for my brain to reach a relaxed state. Left to its own devices, I'm thinking of a million things per minute and each mile feels like an eternity.

I need to be distracted from my own brain in order to find peace. I need outside stimulation in order to calm down. I have to focus on one thing (or really, it's the act of trying to ignore the thing) in order to keep my thoughts contained. Sort of like meditation.

I can't tell you how opposite he is. When the netflix is on, he can't sleep until the episode is over (poor thing). I could be in the other room eating chips and that would grate on his nerves so badly that he'll be up for hours tossing and turning. He must not be distracted from his own thoughts or else he won't be able to relax.

How does your extroversion represent itself?

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Whereas I must annoy him because I feel strongly about something and then do the complete opposite. For me, it's simply because I felt strongly about that yesterday, not that I'm a hypocrite.
    There's a difference? I don't think someone should stand up for something if they know they're not going to feel the same way about it the next day. If you've got values, stick to them.

But more importantly, I understand the true meaning of extroversion. It's not in the amount of friends I have, it's in the amount of distractions I need. Every night when I go to bed, I put my laptop next to my pillow and turn on some series of tv show on netflix. I then pass out, waking up only when the episode is over and I have to hit play to start the next one. Then I fall promptly asleep again. This goes on for hours, every single night. I can't sleep without something on. But it can't be something I am interested in, or else I'll stay up and be engaged. So it has to be the same old thing over and over again, so I can actively tune it out. My INTP must have seen season 3 of the Office at least 10 times in the past 2 months. I'm not kidding.

If I try to fall asleep with nothing to distract me, my brain goes nuts in ways that I am still coming to terms with. And I only believe it because the little fucker has me on video. I talk to myself. I talk to him. My eyes are open and I appear lucid but the things that come out of my mouth are extraordinary. Just weird shit, all the time.

When I run, I have to listen to music. And I listen to music that I can tune out. Meaning, I have to put my energies into actively ignoring what I am hearing in order for my brain to reach a relaxed state. Left to its own devices, I'm thinking of a million things per minute and each mile feels like an eternity.

I need to be distracted from my own brain in order to find peace. I need outside stimulation in order to calm down. I have to focus on one thing (or really, it's the act of trying to ignore the thing) in order to keep my thoughts contained. Sort of like meditation.

I can't tell you how opposite he is. When the netflix is on, he can't sleep until the episode is over (poor thing). I could be in the other room eating chips and that would grate on his nerves so badly that he'll be up for hours tossing and turning. He must not be distracted from his own thoughts or else he won't be able to relax.

How does your extroversion represent itself?
    I have a feeling this is not QUITE the norm for ENTPs. They like a lot of stimulation but is it really normal to not be able to do normal things like sleeping and running without huge amounts of stimulation? You must be a rather strong E.

But the main difference is the Ne and Ti difference. We prefer to analyse and think. You prefer to generate ideas and apply them to the world. Of course we do both, but we each do our own more, and because ours is introverted, we are happier just thinking to ourselves than interacting with the world a lot of the time.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I need to be distracted from my own brain in order to find peace. I need outside stimulation in order to calm down.
    People tell me, my music upsets them and is no music to them. I agree on the latter part but regarding the former thing it actually has a calming effect on me.

I can relate to everything you've said and it's dangerous that it is as it is. I dont know if I can live up to my mind all my life, I'll need to find a way to find peace or before 50 I am crazy. Maybe crocheting ?!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpIhQuME3qo"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    There's a difference? I don't think someone should stand up for something if they know they're not going to feel the same way about it the next day. If you've got values, stick to them.
    To be clear, I'm not talking about values... I'm more talking about little likes or dislikes. I don't like ice cream, but if it's in the right context at the right time, I might eat a little - even though I will always maintain that, in general, I don't like ice cream.

But if he didn't like it that one time when he was 7, then he will never touch it again. End of story. He doesn't like it and that's that.

I have a feeling this is not QUITE the norm for ENTPs. They like a lot of stimulation but is it really normal to not be able to do normal things like sleeping and running without huge amounts of stimulation? You must be a rather strong E.
    That's what I'm trying to find out... it's confusing. I know that I am probably more extreme than most, but I'm just wondering how extreme others are.

But the main difference is the Ne and Ti difference. We prefer to analyse and think. You prefer to generate ideas and apply them to the world. Of course we do both, but we each do our own more, and because ours is introverted, we are happier just thinking to ourselves than interacting with the world a lot of the time.
    Yeah, the main differences are clear. But these little things also fit into that picture and I wasn't expecting that.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    People tell me, my music upsets them and is no music to them. I agree on the latter part but regarding the former thing it actually has a calming effect on me.

I can relate to everything you've said and it's dangerous that it is as it is. I dont know if I can live up to my mind all my life, I'll need to find a way to find peace or before 50 I am crazy. Maybe crocheting ?!
    I'm glad you said that. I feel a little less crazy.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You got to have fun in life. Laughing every moment possible makes me really forget about worries and all the unimportant things in your brain:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQoXhZxicYQ"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Here's another idea: I have to admit I just actually read your post

I have some traits in common with the description of you and some with the description of your intp. I have to watch TV too to fall asleep, but I dont wake up periodically at night. Instead I need a loooooooong time to actually fall asleep and then when disturbed I am totally groogy. I talk to my gf at night aswell, I sometimes tell whole stories and I snort like a champ. Good thing is that makes her fall asleep so its ok for her.

I couldnt fall asleep when she's doing something elsewhere like eating chips in the room next door and I cant sleep everywhere. My gf on the other hand does have more in common with you she can fall asleep anytime everywhere and she has no problems with sleeping in periods. I can heavily and deeply go into concentration mode when reading things or working on my engineering projects and I can stay there for long times. She cant but she found a bit of peace with doing a puzzle. She just needed one year to do a 5000 pieces puzzle thats quite amazing.

I dont want to scare you but my gf is diagnosed ADHS and it's a very rare diagnosis in Germany. I dont know but maybe you should think about talking to someone who knows this stuff. With age I have gotten more concentrated by fginding things I can work on and which keep my mind busy for hours. This a real relief and after working on things you fall dead asleep to bed. Maybe you could use a kind of mind-boggling hobby too. If you have maybe given mbti much thoughts than this was a hobby of yours, but I suspect its gotten boring now, since now we are at the point we know mbti very well.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Well complaining that you don't want to eat ice-cream 2 days in a row is a bit pedantic.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Here's another idea: I have to admit I just actually read your post

I have some traits in common with the description of you and some with the description of your intp. I have to watch TV too to fall asleep, but I dont wake up periodically at night. Instead I need a loooooooong time to actually fall asleep and then when disturbed I am totally groogy. I talk to my gf at night aswell, I sometimes tell whole stories and I snort like a champ. Good thing is that makes her fall asleep so its ok for her.
    When I wake up periodically, I know that it's because I need to keep the noise going. But in other contexts, like if my bf gets up and wakes me, then I am up for hours finding it difficult to get back to sleep. It's weird.

The talking part is what gets me. I had no idea how much I really went crazy. My sister told me this years ago, but I didn't realize the extent of it.

I couldnt fall asleep when she's doing something elsewhere like eating chips in the room next door and I cant sleep everywhere. My gf on the other hand does have more in common with you she can fall asleep anytime everywhere and she has no problems with sleeping in periods. I can heavily and deeply go into concentration mode when reading things or working on my engineering projects and I can stay there for long times. She cant but she found a bit of peace with doing a puzzle. She just needed one year to do a 5000 pieces puzzle thats quite amazing.
    I can't sleep anywhere either, but sleeping in sections is not a problem for me. It's rare that I'm asleep for longer than a 3-4 hour period.

I also get lost in puzzles, too. Weird. I wonder if that means anything.

I dont want to scare you but my gf is diagnosed ADHS and it's a very rare diagnosis in Germany. I dont know but maybe you should think about talking to someone who knows this stuff. With age I have gotten more concentrated by fginding things I can work on and which keep my mind busy for hours. This a real relief and after working on things you fall dead asleep to bed. Maybe you could use a kind of mind-boggling hobby too. If you have maybe given mbti much thoughts than this was a hobby of yours, but I suspect its gotten boring now, since now we are at the point we know mbti very well.
    That is starting to seem plausible. I never really gave much thought to attention disorders, particularly because I CAN pay attention to things for extended periods of time, but not consistently. Like MBTI, I was super intensely into it for a few months, then it was over. But it's true, I do find myself sleeping better when I have exhausted all of my mental energies.

I guess you're right - I need (another) new hobby...

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Well complaining that you don't want to eat ice-cream 2 days in a row is a bit pedantic.
    lolz. You crack me up.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Ok, my bf repped me and said that I conveniently left some parts of the story out...

Busted.

Apparently, I don't just talk in my sleep, I actually hit and scratch at myself. Allegedly.

And also, when awake, I apparently repeat something over and over and over again to keep it at the forefront of my mind, to remind myself to do it. So I'll be sitting at my desk working on something and I'll keep saying "I have to pee" every few minutes - which annoys the crap out of him or makes him feel like I'm nagging him to do something about it - when really, I just want to make sure that I don't forget to do it.

There. You happy now??

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And also, when awake, I apparently repeat something over and over and over again to keep it at the forefront of my mind, to remind myself to do it. So I'll be sitting at my desk working on something and I'll keep saying "I have to pee" every few minutes - which annoys the crap out of him or makes him feel like I'm nagging him to do something about it - when really, I just want to make sure that I don't forget to do it.
    How could you forget that you had to pee?

I mean, when I have to pee... I have to pee!

Apparently, I don't just talk in my sleep, I actually hit and scratch at myself. Allegedly.
    Yeah. Classic possession scenario. You'll be fine... he's the one who should be worried for his life.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft