User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Awww I've missed you, Victor!
    Truth be told, I would like to be a little more like you as well.
    And there you go, about your business in Brooklyn. On the face of it, surprisingly frank and open about yourself, but ultimately unknowable. Of course in my hubris I would like to think I know you better than you know yourself and would love to introduce you to yourself. But you would find this impertinent and perhaps incomprehensible and even a little rude.

I imagine I met you in a Brooklyn nightclub and said, "Jenocyde, meet Jenocyde". Your eyes would sparkle so much I couldn't see what was behind them. You would ask yourself to dance. And there you are dancing on the floor as I watched. Falling, falling through space, until your parachute jerked you awake as I followed you onto the dance floor as I would follow you anywhere, even out the door of an aeroplane.

MBTI
    INTP

This is going to be one big ramble, so bear with me. Living with someone really makes you face who you really are. Everything you do is reflected back on to you. So I know MBTI theory in theory, but this is what I have discovered in practice:

ENTPs and INTPs are exactly the same as far as hermit behaviors are concerned. It's true that I go out more often than he (the INTP) does, but to be fair, my job makes it so that I have to be personable. And I also have life long connections with people in this area, and he doesn't. In this way, the E and I mean almost nothing.

So how are we different? Yes he's still somehow a P, but he leads with a judging function (Ti). Every statement is loaded and feels definitive. It annoys me that someone could take a hard line with so many things, so often. It comes out as: if he thinks it, it must be true.

Whereas I must annoy him because I feel strongly about something and then do the complete opposite. For me, it's simply because I felt strongly about that yesterday, not that I'm a hypocrite.

But more importantly, I understand the true meaning of extroversion. It's not in the amount of friends I have, it's in the amount of distractions I need. Every night when I go to bed, I put my laptop next to my pillow and turn on some series of tv show on netflix. I then pass out, waking up only when the episode is over and I have to hit play to start the next one. Then I fall promptly asleep again. This goes on for hours, every single night. I can't sleep without something on. But it can't be something I am interested in, or else I'll stay up and be engaged. So it has to be the same old thing over and over again, so I can actively tune it out. My INTP must have seen season 3 of the Office at least 10 times in the past 2 months. I'm not kidding.

If I try to fall asleep with nothing to distract me, my brain goes nuts in ways that I am still coming to terms with. And I only believe it because the little fucker has me on video. I talk to myself. I talk to him. My eyes are open and I appear lucid but the things that come out of my mouth are extraordinary. Just weird shit, all the time.

When I run, I have to listen to music. And I listen to music that I can tune out. Meaning, I have to put my energies into actively ignoring what I am hearing in order for my brain to reach a relaxed state. Left to its own devices, I'm thinking of a million things per minute and each mile feels like an eternity.

I need to be distracted from my own brain in order to find peace. I need outside stimulation in order to calm down. I have to focus on one thing (or really, it's the act of trying to ignore the thing) in order to keep my thoughts contained. Sort of like meditation.

I can't tell you how opposite he is. When the netflix is on, he can't sleep until the episode is over (poor thing). I could be in the other room eating chips and that would grate on his nerves so badly that he'll be up for hours tossing and turning. He must not be distracted from his own thoughts or else he won't be able to relax.

How does your extroversion represent itself?
    Not extroverted, but I am half him and half you. I generally fall asleep listening to music, and when running I have to have some distraction from the monotony.

If I try to go to sleep without some external stimulation, I just get caught in my own thinking, and it makes it almost impossible to get to sleep.

I have also noticed that I work best when I have some form of outside stimulation, like loud music, or just a noisy environment, but when I am doing that work I kind of block it out. Its odd. If the stimulation is not there, I have a really hard time thinking.
    "Those are my principles and if you don't like them......well, I have others"

-Groucho Marx

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- Frederich Nietzsche

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Extroversion to me means that I am EXTREMELY EXPRESSIVE and want external confirmation and process by talking with others (or communicating through writing) even if I'm not terribly social and in most other ways appear to be introverted.
    I don't think those are signs of extroversion.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I don't think those are signs of extroversion.
    Do you think I'm an INFJ?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

But more importantly, I understand the true meaning of extroversion. It's not in the amount of friends I have, it's in the amount of distractions I need. Every night when I go to bed, I put my laptop next to my pillow and turn on some series of tv show on netflix. I then pass out, waking up only when the episode is over and I have to hit play to start the next one. Then I fall promptly asleep again. This goes on for hours, every single night. I can't sleep without something on. But it can't be something I am interested in, or else I'll stay up and be engaged. So it has to be the same old thing over and over again, so I can actively tune it out. My INTP must have seen season 3 of the Office at least 10 times in the past 2 months. I'm not kidding.
    My husband does this. Three nights in a row he put on an office episode (yes, the office, no joke). The third night I finally yelled at him. He said "I fall asleep to it!" I had seen it every night he put it on so the third night I was not going to watch that f-ing episode again. He did it with Top Gun too, it just took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on. He now goes to the bedroom and "watches" netflix on the iphone as he falls asleep instead of watching it on the huge TV near my computer.

My husband is an introvert and I am an extrovert.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Do you think I'm an INFJ?
    Well I would assume the next most likely thing for a reserved and stoic ENFP would probably be INFP, but I don't know entirely what you are. I'm not even sure wanting people to like you and give external confirmation is a strong sign of a particular type, though it's probably stronger with Fe. I know myself that I enjoy external confirmation from others that I am a good person, that something I do is good, etc. It's a pretty generic human quality that I reckon is present in all except maybe the strongest ITs.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Well I would assume the next most likely thing for a reserved and stoic ENFP would probably be INFP, but I don't know entirely what you are. I'm not even sure wanting people to like you and give external confirmation is a strong sign of a particular type, though it's probably stronger with Fe. I know myself that I enjoy external confirmation from others that I am a good person, that something I do is good, etc. It's a pretty generic human quality that I reckon is present in all except maybe the strongest ITs.
    I really, really like for people to confirm things with me - I love external feedback and when other people can see things my way. I know everyone wants to be understood (even the most independent INTx) but I crave external validation as though I am either A) an Extrovert - hence ENFP, or B) have Fe - hence INFJ.

Now - I say ENFP and INFJ also because of interaction style. I have a certain forcefulness to my personality that also isn't overbearing (I'm actually quite nice and quiet and spend a great deal of time on my own IRL, and only become stern or forceful in particular situations, when I am "handling" things) nor am I in any need of managing others (so I am not ENFJ)...which indicates either tertiary Te or IxxJ "chart-the-course." IRL I can be quite firm about things, and know how to make things happen that I envision (waaaay back when I first came to this site, this was my primary argument for being INFJ, for having Ni vision and the J temperament to execute whatever I cooked up...some other people say this is Ne resourcefulness combined with Te...it really can be explained both ways )

I've also been told I seem surprisingly INFJ in person by a couple of people from this site. Orobas thought she saw Fe, though she conceeded it might be learned Fe from my Southern upbringing, I guess. The first person I ever met from this site (jixmixfix) was convinced I was ENFP and then after less than an hour he was like, "Um, you seem kind of J." He seemed a bit taken aback by it. People in general - with the exception of Gish - have all registered some sort of surprise when actually meeting me vs. the way I act on the forums.

I concede that I don't seem to jive with the MBTI definition of Fe on this forum. However, I'm not terribly sure I'm ENFP, either.

INFP is out, because I am not "behind the scenes."

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    My husband does this. Three nights in a row he put on an office episode (yes, the office, no joke). The third night I finally yelled at him. He said "I fall asleep to it!" I had seen it every night he put it on so the third night I was not going to watch that f-ing episode again. He did it with Top Gun too, it just took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on. He now goes to the bedroom and "watches" netflix on the iphone as he falls asleep instead of watching it on the huge TV near my computer.

My husband is an introvert and I am an extrovert.
    UDog brought up an interesting theory about the familiarity/comfort of Si and I'm wondering how, or if, that fits in to your situation.

Oh yeah, btw - Top Gun, ftw!!!

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Never actually seen Top Gun. I just keep crashing on the NES aircraft carrier...

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Seen it now.