User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

First, this was a really interesting post. I never even considered a mechanism for extroversion that was like this. Certain ENTP traits are beginning to make much more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    But more importantly, I understand the true meaning of extroversion. It's not in the amount of friends I have, it's in the amount of distractions I need. Every night when I go to bed, I put my laptop next to my pillow and turn on some series of tv show on netflix. I then pass out, waking up only when the episode is over and I have to hit play to start the next one. Then I fall promptly asleep again. This goes on for hours, every single night. I can't sleep without something on. But it can't be something I am interested in, or else I'll stay up and be engaged. So it has to be the same old thing over and over again, so I can actively tune it out. My INTP must have seen season 3 of the Office at least 10 times in the past 2 months. I'm not kidding.
    This sounds like you are trying to short circuit Ne by calling upon inferior Si. It needs to be something you are familiar with to trigger Si, otherwise it just becomes something new for Ne to crunch on.

I need to be distracted from my own brain in order to find peace. I need outside stimulation in order to calm down. I have to focus on one thing (or really, it's the act of trying to ignore the thing) in order to keep my thoughts contained. Sort of like meditation.
    Ne needs initial input. Observations, data, something to act as a starting point to feed the monster. Would you say that without something for Ne to chew on and digest, your mind starts churning onto itself?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Certain ENTP traits are beginning to make much more sense to me.
    uh oh. Like what?

This sounds like you are trying to short circuit Ne by calling upon inferior Si. It needs to be something you are familiar with to trigger Si, otherwise it just becomes something new for Ne to crunch on.
    That is something I had never considered. I guess it would be the reverse of someone who has a routine life jetting away to an ashram for 6 months, rather than going to the same old lake house for vacation?

Ne needs initial input. Observations, data, something to act as a starting point to feed the monster. Would you say that without something for Ne to chew on and digest, your mind starts churning onto itself?
    Yes. If left to my own devices, I tear myself apart.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I cannot sleep if I don't have some kind of stimulation... I either need the TVs flickering image or some kind of music or other sound... Usually music makes it worse because if I don't like the song I'll change it and then I don't sleep because I'm constantly scanning through music. If I don't have something to distract my brain I will lay in bed and toss and turn thinking about anything and everything.

I used to talk in my sleep... I don't know if I still do or not.. If I do my fiance doesn't tell me. I carried on full fledged conversations with my ex... And he'd get mad because apparently I'd make plans to go out in my sleep and the next day didn't know what he was talking about. It took a couple of weeks for me to realize I was asleep when he was talking to me.

Oh, and I wake up to turn the TV off, thankfully, once I finally fall asleep I'm usually good without any kind of distraction.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

uh oh. Like what?
    The self-destructive tendencies that certain ENTPs, especially some of the males, sometimes exhibit.

That is something I had never considered. I guess it would be the reverse of someone who has a routine life jetting away to an ashram for 6 months, rather than going to the same old lake house for vacation?
    The inferior is like a light switch, except it sounds like in your case, it's turning the bulb OFF instead of trying to turn it on.

Yes. If left to my own devices, I tear myself apart.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am only slightly more extroverted than introverted so this may or may not explain a few things ..

During the day i am loud, chatty with anyone including strangers, i exaggerate my arms in conversation and i enjoy it but it is so draining sometimes. I come home and love the quietness and my own company but if someone comes round or i go out, i'm right back up there again.

When i sleep, i like it quiet. I don't want any distractions other than my comfy duvet snuggled around me.

My mind used to be active 24/7, i would sleep walk but i was awake, i was unable to differentiate the two and this happened more during times of stress. I still talk to myself now out loud and i don't care. I am though in the process of quieting my mind and so far it's working. I am not stressing about the future or the past, situations i may consider to be mistakes and regrets. I suppose i am becoming more aware with a detached outlook on my behaviour.

Maybe none of the above as anything to do with extroversion so correct me if i'm wrong.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

My mind tends to be overactive sometimes, too. I just go over everything I've heard and seen recently or even in the past and analyse it and just keep digging at it. This can make it hard for me to sleep sometimes.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Smile

This is going to be one big ramble, so bear with me. Living with someone really makes you face who you really are. Everything you do is reflected back on to you. So I know MBTI theory in theory, but this is what I have discovered in practice:

ENTPs and INTPs are exactly the same as far as hermit behaviors are concerned. It's true that I go out more often than he (the INTP) does, but to be fair, my job makes it so that I have to be personable. And I also have life long connections with people in this area, and he doesn't. In this way, the E and I mean almost nothing.

So how are we different? Yes he's still somehow a P, but he leads with a judging function (Ti). Every statement is loaded and feels definitive. It annoys me that someone could take a hard line with so many things, so often. It comes out as: if he thinks it, it must be true.

Whereas I must annoy him because I feel strongly about something and then do the complete opposite. For me, it's simply because I felt strongly about that yesterday, not that I'm a hypocrite.

But more importantly, I understand the true meaning of extroversion. It's not in the amount of friends I have, it's in the amount of distractions I need. Every night when I go to bed, I put my laptop next to my pillow and turn on some series of tv show on netflix. I then pass out, waking up only when the episode is over and I have to hit play to start the next one. Then I fall promptly asleep again. This goes on for hours, every single night. I can't sleep without something on. But it can't be something I am interested in, or else I'll stay up and be engaged. So it has to be the same old thing over and over again, so I can actively tune it out. My INTP must have seen season 3 of the Office at least 10 times in the past 2 months. I'm not kidding.

If I try to fall asleep with nothing to distract me, my brain goes nuts in ways that I am still coming to terms with. And I only believe it because the little fucker has me on video. I talk to myself. I talk to him. My eyes are open and I appear lucid but the things that come out of my mouth are extraordinary. Just weird shit, all the time.

When I run, I have to listen to music. And I listen to music that I can tune out. Meaning, I have to put my energies into actively ignoring what I am hearing in order for my brain to reach a relaxed state. Left to its own devices, I'm thinking of a million things per minute and each mile feels like an eternity.

I need to be distracted from my own brain in order to find peace. I need outside stimulation in order to calm down. I have to focus on one thing (or really, it's the act of trying to ignore the thing) in order to keep my thoughts contained. Sort of like meditation.

I can't tell you how opposite he is. When the netflix is on, he can't sleep until the episode is over (poor thing). I could be in the other room eating chips and that would grate on his nerves so badly that he'll be up for hours tossing and turning. He must not be distracted from his own thoughts or else he won't be able to relax.

How does your extroversion represent itself?
    We are so opposite. You need a familiar distraction to fall asleep, while I fall asleep the moment my head touches the pillow. You need music to run, while I meditate on every step.

You will jump out of an aeroplane but you won't talk to me on the telephone.

Of course I admire your brio and would like to be more like you. But how I would like you to be a little like me.

MBTI
    ----

hi jenocyde, i’m strawberries. i this thread.

sex, meditation and exercise help me control my buzz. they’re like levers that i can pull to manage my energy a bit. i was worse when i was younger – i had the most erratic sleeping patterns when I was at law school. now i have a grown-up job and i work quite long hours i think my body takes over more and makes me rest.

i like being told silly stories before i go to sleep. i also like reading fashion magazines in bed. i can relate to needing lite stimuli before i go to sleep.

i love that introverted flavour too. it calms me and their composure turns me inside out (sexy). being with another extrovert can be lots of fun, but it tends to bring out my hedonism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wow. The way you go to sleep sounds like hell on earth to me. I have to have quiet and dark.

Extroversion to me means that I am EXTREMELY EXPRESSIVE and want external confirmation and process by talking with others (or communicating through writing) even if I'm not terribly social and in most other ways appear to be introverted.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course I admire your brio and would like to be more like you. But how I would like you to be a little like me.
    Awww I've missed you, Victor!
    Truth be told, I would like to be a little more like you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    hi jenocyde, i’m strawberries. i this thread.

sex, meditation and exercise help me control my buzz. they’re like levers that i can pull to manage my energy a bit. i was worse when i was younger – i had the most erratic sleeping patterns when I was at law school. now i have a grown-up job and i work quite long hours i think my body takes over more and makes me rest.
    Hi strawberries. It's really nice to have other people relate to my experience. It's been eye opening.

I've really been thinking a lot about this lately but I realize that I fall asleep around other extroverts much easier. It's the same principle as me working until my head hits the keyboard... When I'm with my sisters (all Es) we just talk and laugh until we literally exhaust ourselves and pass out. And my INTP is so sweet but I don't ever feel worn out around him. It's kind of like giving an energetic puppy to a older woman who had a hip replacement. I mean, I can get tired around him because he gives off such a slow, sleepy vibe but it's more like sitting in a room where the heat is gradually turned up higher and higher - it sort of forces you to sleep whether you want to or not.