User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default How did you choose your major/career?

I'm facing a really big problem lately. I don't like to do anything. Most of my hobbies growing up were videogames, books, movies, music...everyone one of them stimulating my intellect but otherwise being completely unproductive.

Some played the guitar, others played soccer, some would program on their computers etc etc

Never had a hobbie where I created something. Never had a skill I could apply somewhere, apart from written word (and no, I don't like or ever written anything).

After having dropped out of Computer Engineering feeling I really needed to dedicate myself to something creative, I realize that my plans of studying again (either filmschool and/or game design) have not substantial basis. I think I have a lot of creative potential but I never did or accomplished anything. I have no skills from which to judge "what do I enjoy DOING?" and it's a question that bugs me till this day (and I'm 24 already). I've never done anything.

So I really dunno how to go about this. Forgetting for a second that I mentioned movies and games...what would you tell someone in my position who never did any productive activity which he could get an idea from (as far as where he should be headed)?

What have you guys based your decisions in terms of career/major? Have you participated in related activities before you chose it? Did you say "hey I'm kinda good at this I guess"? Or was it some other reason, or WHAT?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I am an experimental physicist. Sometimes it seems this career chose me rather than the reverse. I knew no one in any technical occupation growing up, and it was thus not on the radar at all. After trying several other things that proved to be unsatisfying, I realized that the work I had enjoyed most was in my physical science classes, especially those involving lab work. As soon as I went back to school for physics, I knew I had made the right decision.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LSI

When I was a kid, i'd say as far back as junior high, I wanted to either be a meteorologist or a pharmacist, and nothing else i'd ever encountered remotely interested me. In 8th grade I had to do a meteorology project for my Earth Science class and it took that project for me to realize how bored I'd probably be in that field. Also, I once thought about computer programming, but right now i'm taking an Intro to Computers class, and the basic programming i's learning in this class is boring as well, so yeah, i'm a Pre-Pharmacy student.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Try reading this and do what it tells you, "What-Color-Your-Parachute"

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I sometimes wonder if Ps might have more problems with this than Js. My ENFJ bff has been a graphic artist since I can remember...she didn't even graduate high school, and as soon as she got her GED she went to design school. She's done that ever since, and has even owned her own business. I remember being very envious of how she knew exactly what she wanted to do when we were younger.

Now that I'm older I've just kind of accepted that I'm not going to do just one thing. I've had jobs that I've enjoyed - being a dancer, for example - that also weren't something that a person makes a long-term career out of. I also kind of like waiting tables, but I don't want to do it for the rest of my life.

Right now I edit part-time (related to my English major) and am an adult entertainer on the web part-time. It suits me for RIGHT NOW, but neither thing makes me extremely happy.

I thought I wanted to be a teacher when I started college. I was totally wrong about that. I don't know if someone could even pay me enough to be a teacher. So finishing my B.A. in Lit is probably totally out, even though I have a life-long love of Lit, I don't want to be an English teacher, nor do I want to make a life in academia as a professor. Academia annoys me.

So now I'm thinking when I finish my degree it will be in History so that I can go into preservation or restoration.

When I was nineteen a psychic told me that relationships, not career, would give me ultimate meaning in my life. So far she's been right, and I'm a few years older than you.

Of course that could always change.

For some reason I'm not nearly as upset about it as I once was.

i chose it based on how i wanted to live my life.
    i knew even before i started working that employee life
    was never for me. and when i started working the experiences
    just reinforced it.

the only thing i knew was that i liked walking to my own beat.
    and to do something i truly wanted, i just had to create it myself.
    i was never interested to get into what existed already.
    it was more appealing to create something. to feed that need
    for a sense of ownership.

however, i paid my dues, and did get into jobs that would develop
    the skills i lacked, be it soft or hard skills. when i was younger,
    as much as i didn't like it, i needed the structure, so i could see
    the whole picture, and take it from there so i can materialise all
    the opportunities i saw. learned about working with other people.
    finding others that could balance, challenge and innovate.

the point is. i tried anything. something. because
    all i can is learn about what i don't want. i never
    sat and dwelled about what is it that i want?
    i just went out and tried things.
    like it? check. don't like it? cross off.

now i run a business that complements and supports the
    way i like living. it's basic enough. i like spending money.
    a lot. so gotta make it to burn it. but it should be fun
    in the process.

i'm a complete hedonist first and foremost.
    so it never feels like work. it's like play. all day.
    very cool.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ISFJ

What is that you do Mmhmm, if you don't mind me asking?

And when you say you tried different thing...I'm sure you can appreciate how so many professions require a lot of credentials to even be tried out.

The two jobs I've had, were about with dealing with people. I found I'm surprisingly good with it. But they didn't involve a lot of non-interpersonal skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    What is that you do Mmhmm, if you don't mind me asking?

And when you say you tried different thing...I'm sure you can appreciate how so many professions require a lot of credentials to even be tried out.

The two jobs I've had, were about with dealing with people. I found I'm surprisingly good with it. But they didn't involve a lot of non-interpersonal skill.
    i run an ideas agency. specializing in management consulting for communications industries.

at the same time, moiety, credentials is just one way to get your foot
    in the door. just because you have the right credential doesn't mean
    you'll get the job.

undergrad, i was a lit major and i wanted to get into strategic planning.
    so i just emulated what planners do. i walked across the street to a company
    and told them i want to be a planner. and persisted until they were willing
    to give me the job. i called them everyday, generated my own homework.
    i utilised my own strengths, interpersonal skills to get it.
    just gotta go after what you want despite of credentials.

knowledge isn't defined by or limited by institutions. knowledge can be
    found everywhere. with that knowledge you can create, however unconventional, your own brand of credentials.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTJ

I changed my major multiple times in college before finally settling on political science/international relations. My roommate had just changed to poli-sci and showed me how easy it was. Somehow, I ended up loving it. Then, I graduated college and realized how useless my degree was for my financial success. After spending some time with a foreign ambassador and the UN, my respect for bureaucracy and politicians in general pretty much plummeted from an already low point, and since I refuse to do shit that is pointless, my degree became even less helpful.

So...I made a career decision and now I can actually put the knowledge I got with my degree to use and accomplish practical things.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I reviewed my interests, separated out the ones with the most potential for pragmatic applications, then chose majors to rubber stamp the end goal.