User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I recommend just doing it.. I put it off too long. In this day and age, it's not a good idea really (unless something else really hits you in the face). Besides, it's not just about the courses, but just broadening your experience in general (possibly/maybe).
    What, a degree? It's not a question of getting one or not, it's a question of in which area I should get it.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I got the book Highlander recommended "What color is your parachute?" and I had to recommend it myself, since I started reading it and it's just pure awesome and it's really helping.

Anyone who is unemployed, wants to change carreer, doesn't know what he wants to do, etc...should read this book.

Funnily enough I stumbled on one of the exercises the book asks you to do, which is finding out what your skills are lol. It's an ongoing process though....I wonder what skills a philosopher like Socrates would put on his resume in this day and age. I feel so theoretical and lacking....

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I chose my career by accident.
    I failed out of a B.S. in biology (because I was partying, and not in class, DUHH!) after my third year.
    Then my Dad said "You know how to use a computer. Get a job with an IT company."
    So I did.
    I've worked every job in the IT industry at this point.
    I finished my B.S. in management information systems.
    Then I got into project management and got my PMP.
    After a few years of that I enrolled in school again to get my masters in public administration.

Many years of my career were tough, some were damn right awesome in profitability, and others great.
    Overall, since I have transitioned into government, I am very happy with my career.
    I have MADE happiness in my career path, by PURSUING WORK that I have a PERSONAL DESIRE to engage in.
    That is the key to ANY career, no matter what you do.
    It's not about what you want to do.
    That will change, Bro.
    That's "right now."
    Get your ass on the playing field!
    You can't catch a ball and score a touchdown unless you are on the field.
    You just might find what you "really" want to do along the way.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISFJ

Well I know that I'm surprisingly good working with people. (handling people, mediating and just feeding off their energy and capabilities). I've had two jobs experiences before, it's just not something I want to do for the rest of my life (shitty jobs, one a restaurant and another a call center). To get on the field I must go to practice first though...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    Well I know that I'm surprisingly good working with people. (handling people, mediating and just feeding off their energy and capabilities).
    Become a trained and certified mediator and help people save tons of money by avoiding divorce attorneys.
    I'm serious.
    You'd be great at it.

I've had two jobs experiences before, it's just not something I want to do for the rest of my life (shitty jobs, one a restaurant and another a call center).
    JOB = Just Over Broke

CAREER = What you seek... Long range gainful employment with options for professional development and a comfortable salary and benefits package... Welcome to the world of grown ups!

To get on the field I must go to practice first though...
    You are SOOOOOO sidestepping!

To practice you must decide what you wish to do!

You must start somewhere.
    Hardly anyone starts off in the right spot, but everyone must start, sooner or later, including you, and sooner is the way to go...
    I know you love my pep talks.
    You'll be fine if you just apply yourself to something.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm choosing my major based on what I can only see myself enjoying doing. Eventually I'll branch out into different areas, but the prerequisite of your life path should ideally be something that stimulates you and when working it makes an hour seem like 5 minutes. My personal prerequisite is something that enables me to be constantly creating.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I chose my career by accident.
    I failed out of a B.S. in biology (because I was partying, and not in class, DUHH!) after my third year.
    Then my Dad said "You know how to use a computer. Get a job with an IT company."
    So I did.
    I've worked every job in the IT industry at this point.
    I finished my B.S. in management information systems.
    Then I got into project management and got my PMP.
    After a few years of that I enrolled in school again to get my masters in public administration.

Many years of my career were tough, some were damn right awesome in profitability, and others great.
    Overall, since I have transitioned into government, I am very happy with my career.
    I have MADE happiness in my career path, by PURSUING WORK that I have a PERSONAL DESIRE to engage in.
    That is the key to ANY career, no matter what you do.
    It's not about what you want to do.
    That will change, Bro.
    That's "right now."
    Get your ass on the playing field!
    You can't catch a ball and score a touchdown unless you are on the field.
    You just might find what you "really" want to do along the way.
    this is pretty motivating. Today I took steps toward a better future, mainly by doing something I should have done awhile ago.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    You must start somewhere.
    Hardly anyone starts off in the right spot, but everyone must start, sooner or later, including you, and sooner is the way to go...
    I know you love my pep talks.
    You'll be fine if you just apply yourself to something.
    Oh I know...well, kind of. I plan on studying again in as broad an area as I can (I might go to filmschool actually. having tried computer engineering I now want something more hands on and to improve my writing skills, knowledge of light and sound and art in general).

My only problems is with the discrepancy between the skills I do supposedly possess (which I'm not great at, but I guess I was exposed to a lot of math, physics and programming in my major) and the ones I'd like to have (more creative, art-focused endeavors like music, movies and videogames).

You can't just decide to be a professional musician at 24 with no musical background, for example.

Snuggletron : Doing something one loves is indeed very important. I've been reading on Flow and that's actually what me realize there was no such activity for me due to me not picking up more "output" hobbies in my younger years.