User Tag List

First 123 Last

I've decided to finish school and get an MLS (library science) afterwards. I used to want to be a gangster, actor, FBI agent, game programmer, or jet pilot, but those didn't work out well. Actor would have been cool though, since I could just pretend to be a lot of things. I might have to look into it again.

How did I decide on librarian? It's the ultimate educational + slacker job. If they let me show up in a bathrobe, even better. Life is something other than work anyways (for me). I just want to learn something new every day, play my guitar, maybe fall in love.. I'll probably never drop any bombs or lead humanity into a bright future by being a librarian, but seeing that I ultimately don't care about either one, that's OK (If anything, I just like expanding.. not driving towards something specific).

Good luck

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

I chose my major based on what courses I would be taking. And I chose what courses I'd take based on what books I'd be reading and who would be teaching them.

I ended up creating my own major. But four years out of college, I don't have anything remotely resembling a stable career.

Basically, disregard this post.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I've always been good at math and sciences (especially physics) and every other engineering major that wasn't nuclear sounded boring. So now I'm studying nuclear physics hoping to go into some kind of research position. I'd be lying if I said I've thought it out past that point.
    "Wait, time out. I just wanted to ask real quick, if I can. You believe in rebellion, freedom and love, right? "

You! Yes, you there! What's on your mind when you're just walking along not thinking about anything?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

coin flip.

I was good in german and english literature at school and I always barely managed to get to the next class without having a E in physics or math. At University I choosed then German language and literature studies and linguistics. I tho always was drawn to physics, but I never did a thing in that direction cause my grades were so bad and I thought I'll never understand that. Nevertheless I had the courage and changed to mechanical engineering and now I am nearly finished and completly happy with it.

Well nbot completly I think electrical engineering would have been more my thing, but well at least they are closely related
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I knew that i wanted to make a career out of helping others, so I started looking for ways that I could use my skills (or skills that I was confident i could better develop) to do so.

I started off majoring in music therapy because it was a way I could use my musical talents so that others could benefit. Turns out I was in waaay over my head and discovered that music needed to stay a hobby. I started looking for other options and I discovered social work, so I looked into the majors at my school that offered majors with an emphasis in social work and weighed the pros and cons of each one before settling on Women's Studies. I knew it was the best option for me (as opposed to Child Development) because looking at the course material and talking with the department chairs and stuff led me to believe it was a subject I could really get passionate about that was heavy on the theory and writing and activism. I knew that those are all things I'm good at or want to be good at, so I just went from there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    ISFJ

Man, I envy americans and anyone else who can choose any subject they want in college to experiment. I wish I could have a taste of a million different things. Instead, I got math, physics and programming and that's it. And I dislike all three.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    I'm facing a really big problem lately. I don't like to do anything. Most of my hobbies growing up were videogames, books, movies, music...everyone one of them stimulating my intellect but otherwise being completely unproductive.

Some played the guitar, others played soccer, some would program on their computers etc etc

Never had a hobbie where I created something. Never had a skill I could apply somewhere, apart from written word (and no, I don't like or ever written anything).

After having dropped out of Computer Engineering feeling I really needed to dedicate myself to something creative, I realize that my plans of studying again (either filmschool and/or game design) have not substantial basis. I think I have a lot of creative potential but I never did or accomplished anything. I have no skills from which to judge "what do I enjoy DOING?" and it's a question that bugs me till this day (and I'm 24 already). I've never done anything.

So I really dunno how to go about this. Forgetting for a second that I mentioned movies and games...what would you tell someone in my position who never did any productive activity which he could get an idea from (as far as where he should be headed)?

What have you guys based your decisions in terms of career/major? Have you participated in related activities before you chose it? Did you say "hey I'm kinda good at this I guess"? Or was it some other reason, or WHAT?
    I relate to this all too well, and lately it's been giving me panic attacks since I do have to choose a major sometime soon.

I'm already a sophomore, still taking basic core classes...which I all hate for the most part. The only class that felt like it was worth something was Spanish, because I'm learning something that I could use later in life. Calculus would've been useful, and I would've done very well in it if chemistry didn't consume my soul at the time.

Because of my extreme disdain for the natural sciences at that point, I just started taking credit-fillers and cores to get them over with, then I transferred, switched to animation, and still have to take the damn cores again. It's so basic for me, and I don't have this sort of 'time' to experiment anymore with classes, and I don't really have the time and money to see what it's like to be an animation major. So after a few drinks and contemplative thought, I'm just switching back to pre-med, since it's practical, and the workings of the human body have been the only fascinating thing in my life. Chemistry might be interesting at this new school...I always think how cool it would be to manipulate matter into something ground-breaking. It's just those goddamn mother fucking cores I have to get through, they are the absolute worst, and they always make me doubt what I'm going into, like, this is so fucking boring, I hope I don't do this for the rest of my life.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    Man, I envy americans and anyone else who can choose any subject they want in college to experiment. I wish I could have a taste of a million different things. Instead, I got math, physics and programming and that's it. And I dislike all three.
    And yet, a chief complaint I see in my peers is the emphasis most (or all) institutes of higher learning place on "general education".

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    And yet, a chief complaint I see in my peers is the emphasis most (or all) institutes of higher learning place on "general education".
    You know, maybe it's the fact I don't give a fuck about a degree really. I just want to find out what I'm good at and take it from there.

I recommend just doing it.. I put it off too long. In this day and age, it's not a good idea really (unless something else really hits you in the face). Besides, it's not just about the courses, but just broadening your experience in general (possibly/maybe).