User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Define Maturity

Default Define Maturity

Another thread made me wonder how everyone defines maturity or being mature.

What are your thoughts?

MBTI
    ISFJ

To mature is to "reach an advanced stage of mental or emotional development ".

"Advanced" being subjective of course.

I think when people say someone is mature...they usually want to mean confident. Un-overbearingly so.

Define advanced as you perceive it. Not interested in what the dictionary says.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Accountability= Maturity

When does a person realize they are the common denominator in all the issues and struggles in their life?

Maturity is also when you set an example and others follow not because you demand them to, but because they choose to.

This is my take on it anyway.

This thread should be fun and educational.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Define advanced as you perceive it. Not interested in what the dictionary says.
    Well for me there is no such stage. Some mature people would no be able to deal with some situations that some other people faced.

I think mature is learning to be unaffected by external circumstances, to realize the importance of caring for other people, to be able to put themselves out of the situation, not wanting something in return. I see it as Agape.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Being beyond trolling.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Epiphany

I think there are different kinds of maturity. The one I value the most is interpersonal. I believe that people should treat others how they want to be treated. If this principle was at the core of everyone's thoughts and behaviors then there would be much less violence and hostility in the world. I think an inability or unwillingness to view circumstances objectively is an indication of immaturity. To a certain extent, everybody is going to be influenced by their own subjective experiences, but they should at least make an attempt to consider a broader view. I hate double-standards and it annoys me when people use them to justify their behavior or mentality. I consider empathy a strengh, not a weakness. If somebody is incapable of empathizing with others, I think that is an indication of immaturity, whether they can control their lack of empathy or not. Finding the right balance between aggression/passivity, justice/mercy is also a factor in someone's level of maturity, in my opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The ability to look at the world from outside your point of view. The capacity to subjugate your comfort/desires for the benefit of others, when appropriate, but also to know when it is not appropriate and to stand up for yourself at these times. The willingness to take responsbility for your actions and your words, to admit when you're wrong, and to take a stand when you're right. The ability to be self-sufficient, but also to recognize when you need help, and to ask for it and accept it when you do. Self-control. Compassion. Respect for yourself and others.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Oh and also avoiding hypocrisy as much as possible. The most immature people are those who don't practice what they preach.
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    The ability to look at the world from outside your point of view. The capacity to subjugate your comfort/desires for the benefit of others, when appropriate, but also to know when it is not appropriate and to stand up for yourself at these times. The willingness to take responsbility for your actions and your words, to admit when you're wrong, and to take a stand when you're right. The ability to be self-sufficient, but also to recognize when you need help, and to ask for it and accept it when you do. Self-control. Compassion. Respect for yourself and others.
    I think that's a pretty good summary.
    JiNe