User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Define Maturity

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

For me I consider someone to be mature when they can admit when they are wrong, handle their money in a responsible manner (I.E. pay bills then play...not play then complain that you don't have enough money to pay all your bills), and maintain a steady job or school. Also, someone shows maturity when they make a mistake and actually learn from it. My cousin... Does not fit into any of these categories unfortunately. He doesn't have a steady job, he'd rather go spend money on booze and then cry to his mom that he can't pay his bills, nothing is ever his fault... And he's on his third or fourth DUI... And he never learns! And he's 40 frikkin years old!? Grow up, man! :steam:

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

As I was saying in the other thread, it is about being whole. This means that the person acts spontaneously all the time but the responses are very appropriate to the situation. It is when your morals are so integrated in your being that you have to think about them very rarely. Obviously this means that the person has a lot of experience using his morals in this way, but it also means that the moral system itself is tested time and again in the real world and corrected when it doesn't work.

But I don't want to say it is about morals, since that's only one aspect of it. It just was easiest to illustrate. We can say the same about emotions. A person who reacts emotionally in situations that are not emotional at all, he is interpreting the situation as something else than what it is. He is connecting unrelated meanings to the situation in his mind. This is not mature. When the person is integrated with his emotions he will react emotionally in situations in which emotion is appropriate. He will be violent when presented with aggression, and so on.

It's all about integration.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    For me I consider someone to be mature when they can admit when they are wrong, handle their money in a responsible manner (I.E. pay bills then play...not play then complain that you don't have enough money to pay all your bills), and maintain a steady job or school. Also, someone shows maturity when they make a mistake and actually learn from it. My cousin... Does not fit into any of these categories unfortunately. He doesn't have a steady job, he'd rather go spend money on booze and then cry to his mom that he can't pay his bills, nothing is ever his fault... And he's on his third or fourth DUI... And he never learns! And he's 40 frikkin years old!? Grow up, man!
    So when I maintain to live steadily on welfare and spend my money regulary on cigars I smoke when playing chess in the park and admit to my chess enemies that they are wrong and I learned from their mistakes, I am da man ?!

I doubt living a textbook life does give you too much maturity.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    So when I maintain to live steadily on welfare and spend my money regulary on cigars I smoke when playing chess in the park and admit to my chess enemies that they are wrong and I learned from their mistakes, I am da man ?!

I doubt living a textbook life does give you too much maturity.
    That sounds like something my cousin would do....

Eh, maybe not maturity as a whole, but it's a start... And I would have to say if someone lived that way, but was a complete jerk to everyone, then no, they would be mature with their choices, but still immature with the way they treat people. Then again... I'm nice to everyone regardless of how they've treated me... So maybe I'm a bit naive there.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

ok agreed

Noone wants to argue with me today, it's frustrating
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Smile The Perfect Description

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    As I was saying in the other thread, it is about being whole. This means that the person acts spontaneously all the time but the responses are very appropriate to the situation. It is when your morals are so integrated in your being that you have to think about them very rarely. Obviously this means that the person has a lot of experience using his morals in this way, but it also means that the moral system itself is tested time and again in the real world and corrected when it doesn't work.

But I don't want to say it is about morals, since that's only one aspect of it. It just was easiest to illustrate. We can say the same about emotions. A person who reacts emotionally in situations that are not emotional at all, he is interpreting the situation as something else than what it is. He is connecting unrelated meanings to the situation in his mind. This is not mature. When the person is integrated with his emotions he will react emotionally in situations in which emotion is appropriate. He will be violent when presented with aggression, and so on.

It's all about integration.
    The perfect description.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I tend to associate it with having high emotional intelligence. Being highly self-aware and dealing with your feelings and emotions in a constructive manner. Demonstrating self-control when appropriate. Having a sense of perspective in things. Being able to take life's setbacks in stride. Being considerate of others and realizing the world does not revolve solely around you. Having a sense of responsibility. Keeping your promises and committments. Being respectful of others' opinions and points of view. Being able to foresee the consequences of your actions.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Suchirony, there is a problem with your sig. By the description in brackets, your type is INNP.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

To me, maturity means balanced (not in an insulting way). There's only been one person in my experience who I would categorise as someone who's that self-actualised. She was an incredible person, not someone I could type to save my life. The world is a lesser place without her. RIP. We all miss you.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'd agree with Metaphor's simple description of balance. I think someone who is able to balance their life with responsibility, tolerance, confidence, seeing other points of view and being able not to push your opinions into others' faces, but also able to see the world in their own point of view and stand up for it when needed, I see those as characteristics which define maturity imo.