User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Fs, are you slaves to your emotions?

More and more I think T/F is a misunderstood divide. The way I have to simplify it is to equate it to S/N. S is concrete decision making, while N is holistic decision making just as T is concrete decision making, while F is holistic decision making.

We all have emotions. Fs have emotions and Ts have emotions. Ts are, imo, inaccurately said not be slaves to their emotions when compared to Fs.

By the same token, there is the misconception that Fs act upon their emotions. As an F, I don't agree. I act upon my feelings, my holistic picture of the situation, which being holistic, does of course take my emotions into consideration. I can however set aside my emotions towards something to accurately evaluate the situation.

Trying to be fair is a good example of this. I don't like this person and I like this other person. No matter the emotions the first person generates within me, I try to the best of my ability to treat him as fairly as the second person.

Some people say Fs often act without thinking. I say some Fs often act without Feeling. They experience the emotion and act upon it....without paying a closer look. Without using their decision making process and overly relying on their Perception function.

Anyway, regardless of my thoughts on the matter (baring in mind I'm not accusing Fs or Ts of anything...simply theorizing here) what are your thoughts on the matter, Fs?

Do you tend to be a slave to your emotions?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I've often been accused of having no emotions. It's not true, I just don't show emotion often. I am similar to you... No matter how much I might dislike one person compared to another, I always try to do what is fair.

The way I see things... I don't like to feel left out or ignored...so I don't want others to feel that way. I tend to base my decisions off of what other people's reactions might be. Whichever one has the least amount of conflict is usually the route I'll go with.

So no, I don't think I'm a slave to my emotions... Unless you want to consider my desire to make everyone around me happy an emotion.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

No. They just help me discern what actually matters to me, which (as you said) is taken into account in the decision-making process.

Being a "slave" to emotions is an extreme statement. I can't imagine anyone would admit to such a complete lack of control and autonomy.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I've often been accused of having no emotions. It's not true, I just don't show emotion often. I am similar to you... No matter how much I might dislike one person compared to another, I always try to do what is fair.

The way I see things... I don't like to feel left out or ignored...so I don't want others to feel that way. I tend to base my decisions off of what other people's reactions might be. Whichever one has the least amount of conflict is usually the route I'll go with.

So no, I don't think I'm a slave to my emotions... Unless you want to consider my desire to make everyone around me happy an emotion.
    It can be too at times.

What about personal decision that don't affect other people's lives too much...merely your own?

When I mean decisions, I mean any kind of decision. Not just what to do towards other people...but what to do towards our own selves.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    No. They just help me to see what actually matters to me, which (as you said) is taken into account in the decision-making process.

Being a "slave" to emotions is an extreme statement. I can't imagine anyone would admit to such a complete lack of control and autonomy.
    I know no one will. Because they are being a slave to the emotion the expression "slave to emotions" produces in them. That's the whole point of the thread. To question ourselves to the max.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm not. I'm a cold and heartless bitch.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

This doesn't appear to take into consideration tert or inferior Tx.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    This doesn't appear to take into consideration tert or inferior Tx.
    What do you mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    What do you mean exactly?
    Depending on position of cognitive processes, my guess would be that if Tx is a tert process, it's likely a more refined and comfortable process to offset or trump the more dominant feeling process. Inferior processes are called inferior for a good reason. They suck unless actively worked on to improve and properly assimilate.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Depending on position of cognitive processes, my guess would be that if Tx is a tert process, it's likely a more refined and comfortable process to offset or trump the more dominant feeling process. Inferior processes are called inferior for a good reason. They suck unless actively worked on to improve and properly assimilate.
    The whole point of the thread was that good use of T isn't gonna make you any less of a slave to your emotions. It doesn't matter what function you use, as long as you DO use it wisely.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hm, I wouldn't say that T/F can be broken down into concrete/holistic like S/N. It's pretty hard to act without thinking, literally anyway. Thoughts lead to emotions, they don't just jump out of holes in the earth like dwarves.