User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intP

Default What's your philosophy?

What are the underlying assumptions that guide you and motivate your choices?

or

What have you concluded is the best way to live?

My own:

I believe enjoyment is the purpose of life and each individual should seek to thrive simply.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My personal philosophy is a rough combination of existentialism, virtue ethics, and solipsism. I view the world as a means to an end to exercise my will, which is to passionately follow my desires on how to better the world and all living things within it; I seek to replace the outdated values of the world with my own values. I believe the best way for an individual to live is to follow thier own perseverance and freedoms and shape thier own lives.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by suttree View Post
    What are the underlying assumptions that guide you and motivate your choices?
    This is so timely. I haven't been able to make any serious choices in a few years because I don't have motivation, because I don't know what the goal is. To be honest, I'm not even clear right now. Decisions carry consequences, but all consequences are ultimately the same, from a biological/physical vantage point. No one really sees life that way, though, because we color the world with meaning and significance and all sorts of values that revolve around our personal gratification. On occasion we care about causes outside ourselves, but I get the feeling that most of the time we do that because we think we're supposed to, or, because we're trying to scramble for some meaning and purpose.

Yeah, I don't really know. I'm on the verge of throwing it all away, mentally, and practicing living with my intuition, to collect and make beautiful moments. That at least feels right, even though it's just as arbitrary as any other goal. So I guess you could say that on a personal level, I'm motivated by intimacy and beauty, even though most of the time I'm just motivated to get laid and laugh and think highly of myself.

What have you concluded is the best way to live?
    I think that's an open question that I'm trying to answer. If I have the guts to really see my ideas through, then the best way to live is with self-respect and patience. Intimacy and beauty are built on that foundation, as far as I can tell.

Thank you, suttree.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

future oriented empiricism with a heavy touch of all permeating relativism
    my ethics are efficiency based, but accounting for human nature, because most people don't seem to realise that being 'efficient' doesn't mean being a heartless nazi slash communist children eater, because these strategies are just not substainable as they shoot personal levels of risk up the roof.
    It's just about making decisions based on the information you have, so obviously you do need to promote transparency, have reliable statistical models and enough definition in general to make the data personal enough so that people would be able to relate to it, and accept it as beneficial at their level.

etc.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    future oriented empiricism with a heavy touch of all permeating relativism
    I thought you'd say that.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I've recently discovered some vocabulary to express what I always felt. My philosophy of life is close to Epicurus formula for happiness :

(1) friends
    (2) freedom
    (3) leading an examined life

Leading an examined life, to me means acting according to my conscience, being empathic towards others while still being unbiased in my judgement and cultivating lots of self-awareness.

Finding a job I love, being surrounded by people I love, and being able to progress as a human being with minimum casualties, is my ultimate goal. But more important than the end, are the means.

MBTI
    intP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm on the verge of throwing it all away, mentally, and practicing living with my intuition, to collect and make beautiful moments

Thank you, suttree.
    Well said.

I'm in a similar frame of mind at the moment. I'm convinced all the "shoulds" and manufactured expectations interfere with happiness, which is ultimately a temporary state of mind. I'd say sustainable stimulation and awesomeness is my current general life goal.

You're welcome.

Doing as little harm as possible while still maintaining a healthy sense of self and self-interest. To help whenever possible, as long as there's no harm or minimal cost to self unless it's for a loved one. Try to lower expectations of others with the byproduct of potentially being kinder to self.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

a line from the film "little miss sunshine"
    "You do what you love, and fuck the rest."

:]
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Um...

Be nice unless you have a good reason not to.
    Make sense and make sure others make sense (don't do anything without an empirical and logical basis).

That's on the most basic level.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."