User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just really need to point out that the bully issue is only part of this. The whole LGBT thing sucks for teens -- they're entirely dependent on family, which makes their lives hell if their family is not supportive, they have little financial resources, they're stuck in school.

And we might not be talking specific bullies, we're talking potentially large-scale prejudice and exclusion from school activities, which dominate a teenager's life.

Remember that whole mess last spring with the girl down south where they "canceled" the prom because the law determined that she had to be allowed to come with her date... so the school organizers basically let her go to the "official" party (which was very poorly attended) while the rest of her classmates bailed and (at least from rumor) attended some other private party. Nice move.

All because some girl was bringing a girl to the prom.
    I mean, why should anyone even care?
    Everyone should have easily been able to co-exist in that environment.
    But apparently that was not an option.
    That's how bad things are.

Getting back to the recent suicide, where the college student jumped from a bridge after his own roommate videotaped him involved with another boy... TWICE... and posted it on the Internet... I mean, was there really hope for reconcilation there? They were roommates. It didn't seem like the boy was being beaten up or 'bullied' in the traditional sense. It was just a deep-seated case of insensitivity based on cultural stigma aimed at homosexuals. College kids have for decades asked their roommates to bug out so they could make heavy with a romantic partner... the situation here was much the same, the young man was polite and asked for the room, his roommate agreed... and then was a total ass about things. If it had been a het relationship, the roommate probably would have laughed at it; maybe taken the video for kicks, maybe even posted it; but the social stigma is far more different.

And the roommate did it twice.

We're not talking conventional bullies, where pretty much everyone (regardless of political and religious beliefs) agrees the bullies are in the wrong. We're talking about violations of other people's dignity based on their sexual preference within an entire culture that tacitly or openly stigmatizes LGBT orientations.

You can get away from a bully.
    You can't get away from your entire culture until you leave the country (or find the right subculture to move into).

That is why the sense of futility is so (and realistically) pervasive.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

It's actually surprising how stupid some people can be in reaction to the idea of homosexuality. Several guys at my school have the perspective that it's okay for girls, but not guys. Why? Because it doesn't make you horny? And then one of them said, when asked, that if his best friend turned out to be gay he would punch him in the face and never talk to him again. Just shows how accepting our society is, doesn't it?
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well... I don't think the Bible ever says "Thou shalt not lay as a woman with another woman." It does establish a rule about men not laying with men.

(Then again, men seemingly were the creators of life and spilling their seed in anything other than a woman's womb was seen as sin that, in some situations, was bad enough to be punished by death, as per Onan... Lesbians were not wasting seed.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I don't think these were particularly religious people for the most part. I'm certain they're the sex before marriage types.
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hee. I like that. It sounds like a campaign button.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I had an alternate method in early High school. Ignore them and if it got too bad, report to the authorities. They might think I'm a pussy or something for that sort of thing, but what do I care what they think? They were morons. For me that worked better because I didn't have to pretend to like them.
    Reporting them would not have changed a thing in my case.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Reporting them would not have changed a thing in my case.
    Ah, crap authorities I suppose?
    JiNe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Ah, crap authorities I suppose?
    The whole environment was structured to their advantage: a small village, one school, few 'friends', uneducated teachers and pupils. Others had it much worse than I. At one time, for about two years, we had a teacher from out of town who appeared, while no one knew if he was, pretty poofy. I wonder today how he could bear the constant humiliation. The place was savage. You can trust that I weighed my options.