User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Isn't Kirk an ENTP?

Lenore Thomson used him alot in her book as an Extravert Intuitive type. There are also two examples I can think of in the new movie that indicates he's pretty intuitive:

1. He was able to deduct that the Vulcan homeworld was being attack from a handful of informations he piece together which indicate that he's pretty intuitive.
    2. He reprogram the simulation Spock designed to give him the edge is something an ENTP would do.

Arya Stark (Song of Ice and Fire) - ISTP
    Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance) - INTJ
    Thanos (Marvel) - ENTJ
    Superman (DC) - ENFJ
    Justin (Grandia) - ENFP
    Professor Xavier (X-Men) - INFJ
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Isn't Kirk an ENTP?

Lenore Thomson used him alot in her book as an Extravert Intuitive type. There are also two examples I can think of in the new movie that indicates he's pretty intuitive:
    The new movie is but one nanosecond of Captain Kirk's overall folk legend. Watch the original series. Episode after episode he is an ass kicking, Romulan brandy drinking, seducer of hot, green alien women. If that isn't the essences of ESTP then every type description ever written is completely wrong.

1. He was able to deduct that the Vulcan homeworld was being attack from a handful of informations he piece together which indicate that he's pretty intuitive.
    It appears you think Sensors are incapable of extrapolating possibilities from known information. You are wrong.

2. He reprogram the simulation Spock designed to give him the edge is something an ENTP would do.
    You are referring to the Kobayashi Maru simulator at the Star Fleet Academy. Sensors can program computers too, you know. I do it at work everyday.

I'll conclude with this, it's something I've said before.
    There are a good number of similiarities between ESTPs and ENTPs.
    Especially when either is more toward the middle of N/S.
    A really good friend and colleague of mine is an ENTP.
    He and I wreak havoc when we work together because we are so far ahead of the curve, and guide the project work in the direction we need it to go while still holding true to the objectives of other stakeholders.
    So, if you want to think Kirk is an ENTP, go for it, and I'll keep him pegged as an ESTP, and life will go on.
    The best thing you could do is get rid of some of your iNtuitive prejudices.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISFJ

Aldous Huxley - ENFP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    The best thing you could do is get rid of some of your iNtuitive prejudices.
    Haha, no prejudices here man. I'm just curious since according to Lenore Thomson, Kirk is "the quintessential Intuitive" (pg. 38, Personality Type: An Owner's Manual).

Here's the exact quote from her book that talks about Kirk's relationship with Scotty:

His [Scotty] direct opposite is Captain Kirk, the quintessential Intuitive, whose focus is squarely on the possible---the not-yet-tried. Like most Intuitives, Kirk is a master of the Great Idea but has little sense of the details or strategy needed to bring it about. He expects to solve problems as they happen, under the pressure of the moment.
    Many of the heated arguments on board the Enterprise occur between Kirk and Scotty, because their approaches to life are fundamentally alien to each other. (pg. 38)

So i'm not trying to type Kirk as intuitive, I'm trying to get more opinions in the matter to see if Thomson made a mistake describing someone in her book. Also many people seem to believe that her book is one of the best book out there in understanding about personality type which is why I brought up the subject. I don't really care what people think a character is type under, it's just I saw Thomson use Kirk as an example of an Intuitive character in her book alot.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Haha, no prejudices here man. I'm just curious since according to Lenore Thomson, Kirk is "the quintessential Intuitive" (pg. 38, Personality Type: An Owner's Manual).
    Understood. I mis-read the intent of your comments. I thought you were hatin'.

DISCLAIMER: I am not arguing with Lenore Thompson's book. She knows alot more about this shit than I do. But still, she's human, and all stereotypes are subject to inaccuracy.

Here's the exact quote from her book that talks about Kirk's relationship with Scotty:

His [Scotty] direct opposite is Captain Kirk, the quintessential Intuitive, whose focus is squarely on the possible---the not-yet-tried.
    This could be "S"...come on now, Sensors are all about making things happen, and to make things happen they have to be possible.

Like most Intuitives, Kirk is a master of the Great Idea but has little sense of the details or strategy needed to bring it about.
    This is a user of strong "N", I agree...

He expects to solve problems as they happen, under the pressure of the moment.
    This is ESTP also. We are very good at analysis on the fly, and thinking/acting in real time. We do plan, but we don't need to, and we are actually really good at winging it.

Many of the heated arguments on board the Enterprise occur between Kirk and Scotty, because their approaches to life are fundamentally alien to each other. (pg. 38)
    Sounds like many good relationships!

So i'm not trying to type Kirk as intuitive, I'm trying to get more opinions in the matter to see if Thomson made a mistake describing someone in her book.
    Got it. You have my opinion. Do as you wish with it.

Also many people seem to believe that her book is one of the best book out there in understanding about personality type which is why I brought up the subject. I don't really care what people think a character is type under, it's just I saw Thomson use Kirk as an example of an Intuitive character in her book alot.
    Got it. I understand. Pardon me for misunderstanding the nature of your post.

FWIW, as far as many people believeing her book is one of the best out there in understanding personality types, that only goes so far with me, because my whole life I have been seriously against stereotypes. That's just me though.

Have a great day.

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Understood. I mis-read the intent of your comments. I thought you were hatin'.

DISCLAIMER: I am not arguing with Lenore Thompson's book. She knows alot more about this shit than I do. But still, she's human, and all stereotypes are subject to inaccuracy.
    The underline was precisely why I was asking for second opinions.

I don't hate bro, I don't love either, I'm neutral (or try to be)!!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

The underline was precisely why I was asking for second opinions.
    Cool!

I don't hate bro, I don't love either, I'm neutral (or try to be)!!
    That's a great way to be.

--------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Cool thread.

Why am I thinking about myself?

MBTI
    intP

I am well on my way to being the most badass INTP.

Craft, there can be only one.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Leaving aside the types of the various Doctor and Master incarnations (which would populate half the list -- the Doctor has been INTJ, ENTJ, INFP, ENFP, ENTP and ISTP -- the master has been ENTJ and INTJ):

INTJ- Johan Liebert
    ENTJ- Heath Ledger's Joker
    INTP- Spike Spiegel
    ENTP- Jules Winnifield
    INFJ- Jesus (if the Bible is not allowed, then The operative from Serenity)
    ENFJ- Moses (or Qui-Gon Jinn)
    INFP- Lawrence of Arabia
    ENFP- Mello
    ISTJ- Darth Vader
    ESTJ- Captain Barbossa
    ISFJ- Watson
    ESFJ- Paladin Alexander Anderson
    ISTP- fucking Alucard
    ESTP- Jack Sparrow
    ISFP- Spike
    ESFP- Captain Jack Harkness

And, yes, Kirk is ENTP.