User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default A question about alcohol and singing

Not only did I have to work on a saturday, I also had the dubious pleasure of being joined on my train ride by about a dozent drunk adolescents (at 10am in the morning I should add). They kept on singing and shouting for about an hour and at one time an American, who was sitting next to me, remarked to his friend: "Did you ever notice how Germans sing when they are drunk?".
    I later told a friend who had grown up in Spain about this and he said that, yes, he had noticed that as well and found it rather peculiar and intimidating (they tend to sound like a hord of Vikings at the point of looting a village).

So my questions:
    1. Do drunk people tend to sing a lot in your part of the world (please specify region)?
    2. Do drunk people in your country/region tend to behave in a specific way that you think is characteristic for that part of the world/culture?

Seriously, I´m curious
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

1. Generally no. On the east coast sometimes (Canada). The reason people don't elsewhere (I believe) is that we have no common body of songs that everyone knows and that lend themselves well to inebriated warbling.) Well, they don't that much, other than kareoke (sp) now and then.

2. Not really that I can think of.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Thanks Fidelia! That´s an interesting aspect. It seems pretty clear that the singing has a bonding function (something like tribal dances). So common songs propably help and this is what I often see with football fans. The party goers I was referring to were just singing any old thing, pop songs, whatnot and when they ran out of songs they were chanting short phrases and slogans.

I guess what I am really after is to what extent the disinhibitory effects (or the way they present themselves, to be a bit more precise) are universal and to which extent they are cultural (and I don´t mean little drinking rituals, even though those might be interesting to compare as well).
    Is it a group thing? Sensation seeking?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

In Australia sometimes people will sing along to songs but rarely will they just start singing with no music around though this seems to be situational