User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Competitive vs Non Competitive drives

Why are SP's and NP's less competitive than SJ's and NJ's?

Are they?
    Aren't they?

This has been bugging me for awhile and dunno where to place this so just throws it out there.

What bothers me, about me most of all is my lack of a competitive drive and I generally let others win when I know I could probably do just as well if I really tried.

I remember in high school I was good at athletics but then when it came to the crunch I just didn't have the heart to compete properly. While others were determined to get better and beat me by exercising and gaining more muscles etc I just didn't care. And then they did of course win.

The same in bowling for instance, I all of a sudden started getting a rather almost very accurate score initially. The J's were surprised and found this as a challenge so they upped the anty and next round they were totally doing much better while I couldn't be bothered and got lower scores even though if I concentrated enough I could have had a better score which would have just further got them riled up.

I want to get to the bottom of this competitiveness vs non competitiveness there seems to be and why it happens.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

If it's true (and I don't know if it is) it's probably because our (Ps) judgement is directed inwards, we're probably measuring our success based on some internal standard and not comparison with external objects (other people).
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I might be generalizing too much.

Its starting to annoy me enough to really understand why I'm personally so uncompetitive. Maybe this needs to be more specific.

Such as is there a difference between STP, SFP, NTP, NFP competition or non competition and why?

Because I know that I want to learn to pretty much learn to have a different set of values and motivations than I do right now, they aren't helping my life success much. So I want to understand what is this, what is this drive to hmm, while I would call procrastination a form of stress, either building or releasing. There is just so much unexplainable in the behaviour modality.

MBTI
    XXFP

I did XC for a little in high school

I should have done wrestling, but that's another story.

Anyway, I was always a slacker. I'd do ok during the year. I made varsity, but I was always 6th or 7th on the team. I was nowhere near the top of the pack.

But then counties, regionals, and states came along. Counties I think I was 6th. Regionals I was probably the same. But states I just gave it hell and blasted by a bunch of guys and was 2nd on the team, not far behind our top runner. That's just how I ran my races.

I think I have a competitive streak but it expresses itself in odd ways.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    If it's true (and I don't know if it is) it's probably because our (Ps) judgement is directed inwards, we're probably measuring our success based on some internal standard and not comparison with external objects (other people).
    Oh and I think TP would have a stronger drive in some areas than FP and vice versa or at least when I look at in the example of my ESTP boss when I worked for him. He did have a what I call a passive competitiveness. Once he organized his shop the way he liked it products were selling better. He was thrilled when he could talk it up and sell stuff and in turn elated that his store was best in the region of stores. He was telling me how great he was in his ability to sell while really casual about it and not that interested in how others stores were doing until his store was organized the way he liked it.

So yeah probably there is a fine line somewhere. And then I can understand better that it is a more internal success rather than external.

I dunno. ENTPs seem pretty competitive.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    I might be generalizing too much.

Its starting to annoy me enough to really understand why I'm personally so uncompetitive. Maybe this needs to be more specific.

Such as is there a difference between STP, SFP, NTP, NFP competition or non competition and why?

Because I know that I want to learn to pretty much learn to have a different set of values and motivations than I do right now, they aren't helping my life success much. So I want to understand what is this, what is this drive to hmm, while I would call procrastination a form of stress, either building or releasing. There is just so much unexplainable in the behaviour modality.
    If you are looking to build discipline, I don't know what to say. It's a hard thing to describe. That's something I've been working on myself.

It's just a matter of find that push and go. Don't settle for bullshit or waiting around for no reason. That's the best I can describe it. I'm not all that accomplished in this realm, but maybe someone else can give you a better definition.

Or are you asking something else?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think it's too general to say, really. Different types competitive in different ways. Te for empirical quantitative conquest, Ti for thought-out mechanical perfection, Fe for social domination, Fi for personal satisfaction...all vague ideas of course. Then add in Perceiving functions to alter motives even more, then base specifics off each individual...that's just too much work for me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    If you are looking to build discipline, I don't know what to say. It's a hard thing to describe. That's something I've been working on myself.

It's just a matter of find that push and go. Don't settle for bullshit or waiting around for no reason. That's the best I can describe it. I'm not all that accomplished in this realm, but maybe someone else can give you a better definition.

Or are you asking something else?
    To be disciplined and ordered in your competitive and non competitive drive. How does that happen. Where does the structure come from. That's a good idea, thanks. Like yes when I know I hardly compete for stuff would having a stronger discipline to act compel me to a stronger resolution to competition?

I am certainly wanting to build a stronger desire to be competitive and or have more action points to accomplish rather than this inertia to let stuff slide without challenging others.

I'm asking as I go along, where the flow goes, usually tends to be a confusing mess.

I always improve around pretty girls for some reason.

I'm kind of kidding.. But there's a general point here. Maybe P needs some external goal, opportunity, or ideal (or audience even) that focuses introverted judgement. While Judgers are able to set goals and visualize internally more. And maybe they can enact what they want in a decisive manner right where they stand (like your bowling friends).. While you're left performing according to your Ji comfort levels because you haven't surrounded yourself with enough hot chicks.

Just a thought