User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Most of my friends are a few years younger than me. It doesn't make much difference to me, I usually don't even remember the fact, except when someone brings up the subject. There are things that make me feel young or old, though. When someone buys a house in the suburbs, when someone complains about me not wanting to party, when someone has a baby... It is very strange idea for me that kids of my age have children.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Perception is an inseparable ingredient of experience.

In other words the subject is inseparable from personality, should your claim be true.
    Yep, something like that.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INTJ

So, we've got a chicken and egg situation?
    wails from the crypt.

Dali

I'm 24 and my closest friends are 26, 31, 32, 27 (2) and 39. Generally (but not always), people my age or younger bore me immensely.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Hanging out with people a lot younger than you isn't as bad as you'd think.

I worked on a kibbutz in Israel a couple of years ago where you're kinda trapped with whoever is there, which was mostly younger volunteers. I hung out with people that were 18, 19 and really enjoyed their company and got a lot out of it (I was 24, 25 at the time). Some were a little immature at times but it wasn't a major obstacle. We just acknowledged and accepted that we were in different places but didn't make a big deal out of it. Age isn't so much of a problem if you don't make it one; and a fantastic personality is great regardless of age.

Anyway, you might find yourself having fun being a little sillier and freer.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    I'm 24 and my closest friends are 26, 31, 32, 27 (2) and 39. Generally (but not always), people my age or younger bore me immensely.
    wow i really cant imagine hanging with most 32+ y.o.s i know, most of them have kids and stuff....

well it all depends on a person i guess, but a group of 60 19y.o.'s (hopefully 10 of them will be 20+) .. haha, slightly too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Hanging out with people a lot younger than you isn't as bad as you'd think.

I worked on a kibbutz in Israel a couple of years ago where you're kinda trapped with whoever is there, which was mostly younger volunteers. I hung out with people that were 18, 19 and really enjoyed their company and got a lot out of it (I was 24, 25 at the time). Some were a little immature at times but it wasn't a major obstacle. We just acknowledged and accepted that we were in different places but didn't make a big deal out of it. Age isn't so much of a problem if you don't make it one; and a fantastic personality is great regardless of age.

Anyway, you might find yourself having fun being a little sillier and freer.
    haha thanks good to know

actually the happiest time in my life was HS, i had so much fun then, after that i got to med school where people are grown ups silly-less from kindergarten. maybe i need 19 year olds around myself hahaha.

Phantonym

Haven't read other responses yet, but here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    am i overreacting ?
    Most probably, yes. Give people some credit. Age is just a number. You will meet immature people or people you just can't stand no matter what their age is.

And those 18-19 year-olds might surprise you. You will most likely gravitate towards people based on similar interests and age really has nothing to do with that as long as there is maturity or the willingness to at least develop towards it. And those who don't have it yet won't be a problem if you don't let them be a problem for you.

When I re-restarted school, I was mostly 5 years older than others. In my experience, there are no different levels you have to lower yourself to due to age, it's all about people and appreciating their differences.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Interesting. In the last ten years or so, most of my closest female friends have been about 4-5 years older than me. (They usually thought originally that I was a bit older than I am, maybe the same age or only slightly younger, a common experience for me.)

One of my very best friends is 15 years older than me. And I've been friends with her since I was about 13. But of course, at that age it's a bit more like having an aunt or something. (Even though I was somewhat "old" for my age even then and we always had good conversations!) The relationship changes and becomes more even after years elapse, certainly once I got into my 20s, though I definitely still respect her more years of experience and insight. (She's an ISFJ but I think she's a fairly N-ish ISFJ, so it's great for that.)

Years ago I had a couple of good female friends who were both about seven years younger. This was mainly between the age (for me) of 15-22. We're still friends but at more distance now, as we live in different countries. Also, they both got married not long ago...weird. One of them I'm rather worried about the marriage, the other one I'm really not but she just got married - it seems really good though. That was sort of like having little sisters. I knew one of them from when she was seven.

I have a teenage friend - 15 years younger than me - now for the first time in ages. I need to get the balance right on that one, though. She's sweet and obviously looks up to me but she's too clingy and gets in moods if I don't pay her enough attention. She hasn't quite figured out that you shouldn't smother your friends. I know that she's afraid of people leaving/abandoning her due to some experiences with family estrangement from her older brother, some of her best friends moving away, etc.

It's weird, I haven't had loads of close friends my age. (I'm now 31.) Some from school, a few of which I've actually known about 20 years. Some from my church, etc but not loads. One of my best friends - and a mutual friend of the ISFJ who is 15 years older, actually, they are really even closer friends - is a year younger than me and probably wiser than me in a lot of ways...

As for guys - I wouldn't say I've had loads of close guy friends. The ones who are more acquaintances or casual pals, there's been a variety of ages. And actually, with the close friends too. I can think of close guy friends I've had who were the same age, ten years older, or almost fifteen years older. (The latter is the guy I like currently and trying to figure out what to do about it...hm.) I remember the one who was ten years older (we're still friends but only casually because we live in different countries and our lives have changed) was shocked when he found out how much younger I was - he thought I was much closer to his age. I was also friends with a guy four years younger - which was unusual, actually - and ended up dating him. It took me by surprise, snuck up on me because I never saw myself with someone younger. But my heart got broken out of that one. I was 24 and he was 20, so I think we were both too young really. I think that's almost the only time I've really been friends with a guy who was younger or significantly younger.

On the whole - certainly in recent years, I've had more close friends who were a few years older, than anything else.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It can be annoying at that particular life divergence, since they're coming right out of high school, but you will no doubt find a few who you can relate to. Plus, depending on what you look like and your manner, they might not even read you as four years older and you might just be included very readily... if you want to be.

But really, there's all level of kids. Even with my three teens, one acts 10+ years older than his age, the other acts a few years younger, and my daughter looks older but acts slightly older than her age. You should be able to find some people you can identify with.

Yes, definitely the older one gets, too, the less four years means. It's just particularly sharp there because of the huge difference between college and high school in terms of life independence.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft