MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by suchirony View Post
    For me, the most common reasons why I do this:

*By the time I've forumulated a good response, someone has beat me to it and has said basically the same thing I would have said only better. I don't want another "me too" post.

*Worried that I haven't phrased what I wanted to say well enough and it might cause others to misinterpret what I've said.

*Decide that what I'm about to post is somehow too embarrasing or offensive.

*Decide that what I was about to say isn't going to add much and people aren't going to be interested anyway.

*I change my mind midstream and by the time I've formulated my response, I've stopped caring.

*I realized that formulating a well thought out response is just going to take too long and I don't want to spend the time.

Yeah, all those, depending on the post.

Others:

"Saying what I planned to say is going to commit me to a particular position that I simply don't want to have to deal with later, especially if it's controversial -- I don't want to commit to the eventual firestorm because the topic actually isn't that important to me to invest that much energy in."

"I thought my post would be funny, but it's not funny enough to be worth it."

"My point is good but probably will derail the thread to some degree, and I don't feel like posting it by itself somewhere."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

*By the time I've forumulated a good response, someone has beat me to it and has said basically the same thing I would have said only better. I don't want another "me too" post.

*Worried that I haven't phrased what I wanted to say well enough and it might cause others to misinterpret what I've said.

*Decide that what I'm about to post is somehow too embarrasing or offensive.

*Decide that what I was about to say isn't going to add much and people aren't going to be interested anyway.

*I change my mind midstream and by the time I've formulated my response, I've stopped caring.

*I realized that formulating a well thought out response is just going to take too long and I don't want to spend the time.
    This is too funny. I've done all of these fairly often. I also often go back and delete if I think a post has revealed something private or a personal experience. I usually post things of that nature to sort it out in my head and then I start thinking about all the different ways it could be read and that it is likely not relevant to many others, or might be confusing, etc.

Then I have occasionally read posters who have strong opinions about people who edit or delete posts - that they don't take responsibility or they are hiding something, not honest, etc. and that baffles me. I don't get that angle at all.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    Then I have occasionally read posters who have strong opinions about people who edit or delete posts - that they don't take responsibility or they are hiding something, not honest, etc. and that baffles me. I don't get that angle at all.
    I agree

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Yeah, that has happened to me, I'll do a quick summation in my mind of who is likely to respond, how they are likely to respond on the basis of past experience and what I know about them, what their understand is likely to be of the topic or language I'll use relative to my meaning and then I'll generally not bother.

Some threads I'll look at and decide posting replies will only result in me getting labelled a bigot, marxist, whatever and decide not to waste my time.

Those threads and why they get created arent, in my experience, ever for the love of a good challenging perspective or conflictual point of view anyway. Its a case of "Can I get a hell yeah? Otherwise refrain from posting", which is a different style from my own but I dont think anyone posting is operating out of anything other than meeting their own needs first and foremost.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    OK - now I know what you mean. Wouldn't it take a lot of energy to put up a false persona though? It sounds stressful.
    Not a false persona.. Just an over controlled one.
    That's part of my point. I take 15 minutes sometimes to write one paragraph.. Most people wont give you 15 minutes IRL.

You can't get an accurate result if you control too many of the variables.
    you get to pick and choose what to react to on here.

You lose the x factor of being forced to react, that happens IRL.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

All the frigging time. I'm getting better at saying random stuff more often now but still.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, all those, depending on the post.

Others:

"Saying what I planned to say is going to commit me to a particular position that I simply don't want to have to deal with later, especially if it's controversial -- I don't want to commit to the eventual firestorm because the topic actually isn't that important to me to invest that much energy in."

"I thought my post would be funny, but it's not funny enough to be worth it."

"My point is good but probably will derail the thread to some degree, and I don't feel like posting it by itself somewhere."
    *wonders how many posts Jennifer would have accumulated by now if not for these multiple posting inhibitions and retractions...*
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

.... you don't want to know.
    (I'm scared to see what my Edit Post tally is up to... although I don't delete things once they're up, typically.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    .... you don't want to know.
    (I'm scared to see what my Edit Post tally is up to... although I don't delete things once they're up, typically.)
    Now, somehow I just KNEW my (rhetorical) question would draw a prompt response from the person in question!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Ginkgo

I usually don't post because there's no function that allows the viewer to donate money through a paypal transaction on the post.