User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Does it make us all deceptive?

We don't have a backspace in real life no edit or delete options.. No control.. once we say something it's said.
    We have a lot of control on here as to how we project ourselves that we lack IRL.

Just stuff that keeps me awake at night..

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

lol Glad I'm not alone. A lot of times I feel like I have something to say, but I don't have the words to articulate it perfectly. Then I just end up scrubbing the whole thing
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Yeah sometimes I start writing something and then think 'Hey... this is a really stupid thing to say...'.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Does it make us all deceptive?

We don't have a backspace in real life no edit or delete options.. No control.. once we say something it's said.
    We have a lot of control on here as to how we project ourselves that we lack IRL.
    Spoken like a an Xe dom? Xi dom's do this very frequently in conversations. That is, we can think a great deal about what we're going to say before we say it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

The reasons I do this are because the post I'm about to make is:
    • Superfluous
    • Not funny
    • Stupid
    • An easily googled question
    • Too vulgar
    • Unnecessarily Hostile

Or I've walked away from the computer and too much time has past for the post to be relevant or I've lost interest in the thread.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Spoken like a an Xe dom? Xi dom's do this very frequently in conversations. That is, we can think a great deal about what we're going to say before we say it.
    I don't know if that was my point.. I think not only about what I am going to say next but also of the possible responses and my possible responses to those responses. I am 3 steps ahead most times before I ever open my mouth.

I think my question or point was one more of ethics or perhaps that we are less ourselves on here than we might think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I don't know if that was my point.. I think not only about what I am going to say next but also of the possible responses and my possible responses to those responses. I am 3 steps ahead most times before I ever open my mouth.

I think my question or point was one more of ethics or perhaps that we are less ourselves on here than we might think.
    OK - now I know what you mean. Wouldn't it take a lot of energy to put up a false persona though? It sounds stressful.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by suchirony View Post

*I change my mind midstream and by the time I've formulated my response, I've stopped caring.
    ^That made me laugh, it definitely sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    OK - now I know what you mean. Wouldn't it take a lot of energy to put up a false persona though? It sounds stressful.
    It sure is. IRL I'm an ESTP. 7w8.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by suchirony View Post
    I know I'm guilty of it from time to time.

Do you do this? If so why?

Type related?

For me, the most common reasons why I do this:

*By the time I've formulated a good response, someone has beat me to it and has said basically the same thing I would have said only better. I don't want another "me too" post.

*Worried that I haven't phrased what I wanted to say well enough and it might cause others to misinterpret what I've said.

*Decide that what I'm about to post is somehow too offensive.

*Decide that what I was about to say isn't going to add much and people aren't going to be interested anyway.

*I change my mind midstream and by the time I've formulated my response, I've stopped caring.

*I realized that formulating a well thought out response is just going to take too long and I don't want to spend the time.
    Everything you listed applies to me, but that one really stands out the most. Sometimes I'll post it anyway, but then other times I think about it and it's not worth it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    The reasons I do this are because the post I'm about to make is:
    • Superfluous
    • Not funny
    • Stupid
    • Too vulgar
    • Unnecessarily Hostile

Or I've walked away from the computer and too much time has past for the post to be relevant or I've lost interest in the thread.
    I don't censor myself so I am dependent on the replies to discover whether I am -
    • Superfluous
    • Not funny
    • Stupid
    • Too vulgar
    • Unnecessarily Hostile

This is an activity that carries some risk. However the advantage is that I can write what I think as I think it, and the disadvantage is I must bear the criticism of others.

So I can either bear my own criticism or bear the criticism of others. And as I am harder on myself than anyone else, I decide quite sensibly to bear and even invite your criticism.

This has the double advantage of not censoring myself and being free to write as I feel and think, and secondly, I become part of a conversation.

And as I no longer need a peer group to conform to, it leaves the conversation quite free.