User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    100+ hrs-wk?
    yup. some industries are like this.
    multiple all nighters aren't unheard of.
    consulting hours are not as bad as finance.

ie. IBers can go up to 140hrs/wk. 16hr/day is average.
    but people don't do it for the long haul.
    2-3 years on average.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I had usually about 100-200 eur in bank account when I was 20, at any one time,
    200-300 when I were 22,
    2000-3000 when I were 24,
    10000-15000 when I were 26,
    and
    0-2000 from 28 to 31,
    and
    0-4000 from 31 to now.
    exponential then you just had to vegas didn't you?

haha I'm just kidding thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Don't go to college until you know why you're there! It's way too expensive for that. A lot of that kind of information can be found online and in libraries, though you'll have to work a little harder to find it - on the plus side, it'll probably be more current than a class. Not sure about the business finance since I've never looked, but PF stuff is everywhere! It's hard to know where to start, though.
    Yeah, but at this point, I'm probably just going to community college (poss. transfer to UMD) to finish up. I've spent nearly a year and a half trying to figure out what I want from college already and the rust is forming.

I'm clever enough, with a business degree and some technical training I'll throw something together (contractor/designer/builder etc).

To track expenses, I use a simple excel spreadsheet that I threw together, nothing fancy but it does everything you would want and is easy to use. I can send it to you if you want to have an idea where to start. ?

I can do this pretty easily from my credit card statements (don't know how I could do it with cash other than writing it down constantly) which I add to the sheet every few months or so.
    PM'd

So at first mostly living off loans. We get a ridiculous amount here, enough for tuition+living expenses for a not really frugal student. I would always save about half of it. Plus I lived at home until 2nd year university - though I still had to buy everything but rent, rent is the biggest expense!

Then, I was in a coop degree so I did some terms working for half-decent money at the time (10-15 when min wage was 7-8). So I'd be working fulltime in the summer, then often stay parttime during school.

I also had a connection to get a sweet summer job right after I graduated which payed something ridiculous like 22$/hr fulltime.

I'm pretty notoriously cheap so while I don't consciously try to stick to a budget, I don't spend much either, and I was always conscious of a huge amount of debt to pay off later (no interest while I'm in school). So I tried to save for that. (Going out is the single worst thing for spending money...especially if booze is involved, but food's bad enough. I try to limit it to special occasions and also only buy 1 drink or occasionally 2. The markup is crazy!)
    Interesting how this all goes together.

Yeah, tell me about the going out alright. I seriously need to cool it on that front.

I had a few 1000 or 2000$ scholarships thrown in here and there, too. And I got 2000$ and free tuition for grad school from a scholarship, PLUS I get paid enough to live on and maybe save a bit if I'm careful (have mostly been breaking even the last year, but my rent just went down by 100$ so that'll help!!).

Also I don't have a car, and will resist buying one as long as humanly possible. I know that's not an option for some people but the transit system here is decent and much cheaper than a car. My bf does have a car though, and I often pay for gas. I kinda wish we didn't have it, though I'd miss all the trips we take in the summer.
    Yeah, it's important to see the distinction here. You're doing something educationally intensive so you have more finance considerations to deal with. You pointed that out earlier.

Well I first started working with a bicycle and the Metro but that wasn't fun.

And with handyman work, I need a car. Despite the macho image proffered by a truck, a small car has served me fine and saved me gas. However, a minivan might be in my future, and NOT because I'm having kids - fits 4 x 8 sheet goods in the back, secure tool storage (tint windows), and decent for moving furniture/small deliveries.

Good to be thinking about. Just have to make sure to NEVER pay even a day late, then you get stuck with interest. It's awful, I earn a crapload of rewards on my card (currenly 120$ saved up) but lose almost as much in interest by forgetting to pay on time every 3-6 months or so. Every time is like 10-20$ Gotta get better about that.

Some people are very anti-credit card (or even debit) but I love my card. Just have to be smart with it.
    Yeah, definitely look into google calendar. See above post.

Really comprehensive post!
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'm turning 20 soon...and I've been living pretty independently, the only thing I haven't spent money on for myself is insurance (too damn expensive, especially if I'm paying out of pocket for college textbooks) As of now, I have a thousand saved (I earned 200 in the past week doing hodgepodge jobs) and I'm selling tons of stuff to make at least another 2000.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post

I work freelance but I have no idea if/how that will affect me getting a card, I'll look out for that.
    On the credit card application, they ask you what your total household income is, in addition to what you are making. Since I believe you live at home at the moment, it might be helpful to list other income in your household in addition to your own earnings to get your first credit card. Once you establish a good payment record with that card, it should be easier to get another one in the future.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    Hrmm. I'm 20, will be 21 in November. I get paid around $980 (give or take $80 bucks). I currently have $8,864 in my savings account. I keep $1,000 for any kind of repairs or anything that I need to send home. Like if my mom's car breaks down, or the shingles on the house blow off, etc. I have a budget plan that if I were to get kicked out tomorrow, I have enough money to last me eight months. I do not have any credit cards, and despise them. Too much temptation for me.

Why do I help support my mother? She barely makes enough to cover her bills and she supported me for eighteen years, four of which we lived on $500 a month when she and my father divorced. I remember working at sixteen and lending her money if her car broke and she coudn't get it fixed. I also got into trouble for taking it to the shop to have it fixed and paying for it.

The rest of my paycheck I use for whatever the hell I want. I have $100 spending money and the rest I use for bills or gets shoved into my bank account. Just as a FYI, I've been in the military since 2008.
    $980 per what?

Fair enough looking out for family. I help my dad with his business when I really don't want to.

When you get out of military you think you're gonna spend it all or what?

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I had nothing when I first started working but saved between six and fourteen percent from every paycheck from the start. If you do the math, the money you save in your 20s is extremely important because of the compounding of interest. What people said about debt is important too. Avoid it like the plague.
    I'm earning zero interest right now. All checking and cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    fulltime at 20. and took time off to do my post grad.
    investing helped me raise my buffer. but i had those
    100+ hours/wk jobs. so that somewhat sucked dried
    my youth.

i do buy bullions. asian style you know?
    don't trust the banks.
    keep it under the floorboards.
    but i primarily trade.
    Investing is the way to go. I need get into this.

I have some library time to schedule in...

Is buying gold bullion an asian thing? I was thinking more Fort Knox than the Great Wall, but it's all good.

Is that your place in your av? Your floorboards are too nice to tear up.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I'm turning 20 soon...and I've been living pretty independently, the only thing I haven't spent money on for myself is insurance (too damn expensive, especially if I'm paying out of pocket for college textbooks) As of now, I have a thousand saved (I earned 200 in the past week doing hodgepodge jobs) and I'm selling tons of stuff to make at least another 2000.
    It's been a project for me to get rid of all my junk. I have way too much stuff (a lot of it was free/"trash"). Craigslist has made me thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    On the credit card application, they ask you what your total household income is, in addition to what you are making. Since I believe you live at home at the moment, it might be helpful to list other income in your household in addition to your own earnings to get your first credit card. Once you establish a good payment record with that card, it should be easier to get another one in the future.
    k k good primer. I'll look into it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    yup. some industries are like this.
    multiple all nighters aren't unheard of.
    consulting hours are not as bad as finance.

ie. IBers can go up to 140hrs/wk. 16hr/day is average.
    but people don't do it for the long haul.
    2-3 years on average.
    Yeah but you need lots of cocaine to do that. I would, at least.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

it's abundant. but not exclusive.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm sure they calculate that 140 hours is the optimized trade off, based on a decreasing incremental benefit per line of cocaine, the cost of yayo, hours worked, and pay rate.

Somebody draw me a graph.

or it's an unofficial-no-questions-asked perk at office
    h.l. mencken