MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

.03 cents
    Oh, its
    You

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Yeah this is a good example of making the best of your personal situation. Sounds like it's working for you if you can manage without an apartment.
    I study in my home town so I already have an apartment, bad side is that it includes my mom in it , but that's how things go here, 90% people live with their parents until... 28 LOL.
    we are trying to sell apartment and change for 2 smaller ones, that'd be awesome if we manage.

anyway.. yeah i am happy to have that money bc i'll have prolonged education .. and i dont want to be burden to my mom.

i've always had a buffer.
    when i started working full time i aimed to get a year's buffer.
    at 29 i have a decent 4 year buffer in addition to savings.
    i have investments primarily in precious metals.
    i never get in debt either. ever.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ISTx

mmhmm you're a millionaire aren't you?

just diligent.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

and old.
    Oh, its
    You

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I had usually about 100-200 eur in bank account when I was 20, at any one time,
    200-300 when I were 22,
    2000-3000 when I were 24,
    10000-15000 when I were 26,
    and
    0-2000 from 28 to 31,
    and
    0-4000 from 31 to now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Funny thing about college, I don't know what I'm doing with that but I should really take some personal finance classes. Along with general business finance. I want to own my own business so I suppose my personal situation is that I need more startup money than the average person. It certainly can't hurt...
    Don't go to college until you know why you're there! It's way too expensive for that. A lot of that kind of information can be found online and in libraries, though you'll have to work a little harder to find it - on the plus side, it'll probably be more current than a class. Not sure about the business finance since I've never looked, but PF stuff is everywhere! It's hard to know where to start, though.

I could really benefit from some spreadsheets to track my expenses. I have no realistic idea of how much I spend. I just know I make more than I spend and that's about it.
    To track expenses, I use a simple excel spreadsheet that I threw together, nothing fancy but it does everything you would want and is easy to use. I can send it to you if you want to have an idea where to start. ?

I can do this pretty easily from my credit card statements (don't know how I could do it with cash other than writing it down constantly) which I add to the sheet every few months or so.

See, I don't see how that's doable!? Before now, were you in debt or something? Or just living off loans?
    So at first mostly living off loans. We get a ridiculous amount here, enough for tuition+living expenses for a not really frugal student. I would always save about half of it. Plus I lived at home until 2nd year university - though I still had to buy everything but rent, rent is the biggest expense!

Then, I was in a coop degree so I did some terms working for half-decent money at the time (10-15 when min wage was 7-8). So I'd be working fulltime in the summer, then often stay parttime during school.

I also had a connection to get a sweet summer job right after I graduated which payed something ridiculous like 22$/hr fulltime.

I'm pretty notoriously cheap so while I don't consciously try to stick to a budget, I don't spend much either, and I was always conscious of a huge amount of debt to pay off later (no interest while I'm in school). So I tried to save for that. (Going out is the single worst thing for spending money...especially if booze is involved, but food's bad enough. I try to limit it to special occasions and also only buy 1 drink or occasionally 2. The markup is crazy!)

I had a few 1000 or 2000$ scholarships thrown in here and there, too. And I got 2000$ and free tuition for grad school from a scholarship, PLUS I get paid enough to live on and maybe save a bit if I'm careful (have mostly been breaking even the last year, but my rent just went down by 100$ so that'll help!!).

Also I don't have a car, and will resist buying one as long as humanly possible. I know that's not an option for some people but the transit system here is decent and much cheaper than a car. My bf does have a car though, and I often pay for gas. I kinda wish we didn't have it, though I'd miss all the trips we take in the summer.

I try not to spend money I don't have but I see the appeal of the credit card. I think I want to get a credit card, but really, I'd only use it to build my credit and just pay off everything immediately. As mentioned in another post I want to have my own business, so I think I might need loans to get that started, and having a good credit score will help.
    Good to be thinking about. Just have to make sure to NEVER pay even a day late, then you get stuck with interest. It's awful, I earn a crapload of rewards on my card (currenly 120$ saved up) but lose almost as much in interest by forgetting to pay on time every 3-6 months or so. Every time is like 10-20$ Gotta get better about that.

Some people are very anti-credit card (or even debit) but I love my card. Just have to be smart with it.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

IF you can keep discipline about how you use a credit card, you should have one or two. Pay more than you owe every month and what's key is, pay it on time or a day early every month. That's all you have to do. It takes time to build credit. You may really need credit one day -- to buy a house, even to buy a car, for medical bills, if major appliances break down -- even if none of that applies to you right now, just consider building credit the same thing as building money in the bank. It's important to have a good credit rating.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Hrmm. I'm 20, will be 21 in November. I get paid around $980 (give or take $80 bucks). I currently have $8,864 in my savings account. I keep $1,000 for any kind of repairs or anything that I need to send home. Like if my mom's car breaks down, or the shingles on the house blow off, etc. I have a budget plan that if I were to get kicked out tomorrow, I have enough money to last me eight months. I do not have any credit cards, and despise them. Too much temptation for me.

Why do I help support my mother? She barely makes enough to cover her bills and she supported me for eighteen years, four of which we lived on $500 a month when she and my father divorced. I remember working at sixteen and lending her money if her car broke and she coudn't get it fixed. I also got into trouble for taking it to the shop to have it fixed and paying for it.

The rest of my paycheck I use for whatever the hell I want. I have $100 spending money and the rest I use for bills or gets shoved into my bank account. Just as a FYI, I've been in the military since 2008.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.