User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post

I don't know if I can trust her smile. She seems up to no good.
    lol! I know, same here. She frightens me. xD
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

I don't know if I can trust her smile. She seems up to no good.
    that woman is sooo annoying creature. LOL. one of those stereotypically annoying ESxJs who earn bad rep for other, nice, ESJs.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    There's not really much point in comparing, situations will differ so much (school situation is the biggest one). All you can do is make sure you do your best to make yourself happy with your situation. As long as you're saving something every month (spending less than you make) you're doing better than a lot of people our age. It sounds like you're doing well (though college will eat up 12k in no time, as you know).
    Yeah I know it's pretty silly to base my choices on comparisons, but I guess I don't really know where to begin so I'm just looking at what everyone else is doing.

Also, I'll admit I'm annoyed with my parents telling me to get a "regular, full time job" because I'm fairly sure I make more money (and sometimes, more hours) working my irregular, anything goes schedule than most people in similar situations. But, the point becomes null after I move out anyway. But it's my personal vendetta regardless.

Funny thing about college, I don't know what I'm doing with that but I should really take some personal finance classes. Along with general business finance. I want to own my own business so I suppose my personal situation is that I need more startup money than the average person. It certainly can't hurt...

I'm in an odd situation personally, because I have had a very large amount of money in the bank for some time (student loans pay out a fixed, huge amount) but I owe roughly the same amount in student loans (to be paid when I graduate - will be roughly 4 years if I stay for my phd). I'm not willing to gamble it in the stock market over such a short term and CDs/etc have such low rates right now, I'm not bothering yet. I could potentially use it as a downpayment for a house sometime, if I was willing to buy a house before I finish school (unlikely since I may have to move for a job).
    Well not in this market, but I want to flip a house, eventually. That sounds like something I would do, or at least act as an investor in.

But otherwise, I'm clueless about stuff like loans.

Again, reason to get into a class of some sort.

It's actually been a negative thing in some ways though because I've always had enough money to buy whatever I wanted - although it's essentially an interest-free loan. I tend to be fairly frugal in general but haven't gotten into the habit of following a budget or making sure I spend less than X every month, I just kept everything in my savings and transferred every month to pay my credit card bill. So I've started treating my chequing as my "living wage" and trying to at least stay within my wages every month (minus 20% auto-transferred to my savings). I'm not sure how successful I'll be yet, I might have to work harder at it. I use my credit card for everything, and pay it off every month, but sometimes it's hard to keep track of how much I've spent in the month. But so far (for 1 month) I still have a lot left in my account.
    Well I'm pretty frugal so that works in my favor.

I could really benefit from some spreadsheets to track my expenses. I have no realistic idea of how much I spend. I just know I make more than I spend and that's about it.

There are a ton of pre-built finance/expense spreadsheets online but I just need to pick one and roll with it. Sounds like you could use something similar.

If you're interesting in personal finance there's a blog I've been reading for the past year or so called thesimpledollar.com which has some really interesting ideas (though some kinda crackpot ones too).
    Cool blog. I spent some time browsing around. The guy is right - I should go to the library and study up. And it's free. Booyah.

ps I'm 24 and have been living on my own for maybe 4 years? still in school forever and ever but at least now (1 year into grad school) I get paid enough to live on, mostly because my rent is so ridiculously cheap.
    See, I don't see how that's doable!? Before now, were you in debt or something? Or just living off loans?

PS good work on reaching sustainability in any case
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm 20 and I have $100 in a little envelope in my nightstand. Thats my savings account hehehe
    I'm jobless at the moment and have never kept a job for longer than like 3 months anyway so whenever I'm working again I'll start saving again.

But yeah you're doing super awesome if I was you I'd be like the rich person of all my friends haha Just keep doing what you're doing and I don't think you need to get a full time job, if what you're doing now works for you and makes you happy then its all good. And I think you're ready to move into your own place I mean a lot of ppl I know (including me & my boyfriend) live paycheck to paycheck and they make it work so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    i am 23. i have 5000 EUR, i guess that's about 7000 $... that's the money I got in HS - scholarship for mathematics. i got 8000 spent 3000 on traveling. Other than that, I spend right away all I earn.. and i cant work much next to medicine anyway.

i plan to spend rest of my money to live from that so i can finish school. with 5000 eur i can live here (if i dont have to pay for apartment ) for 15 months lol.
    Yeah this is a good example of making the best of your personal situation. Sounds like it's working for you if you can manage without an apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    As someone who is 36 years old and has been on both ends of the financial spectrum, the best advice I can give you is to stay the fuck out of debt. You'll be fine if you do that, savings strategy or no. Pay cash for everything but housing and transportation (and put as much cash as you can muster into those).
    Yeah I bought my car cash.

I think it will be some time before I do something like lease a car. I don't want to deal with that now. My beat up Honda serves me admirably.

I try not to spend money I don't have but I see the appeal of the credit card. I think I want to get a credit card, but really, I'd only use it to build my credit and just pay off everything immediately. As mentioned in another post I want to have my own business, so I think I might need loans to get that started, and having a good credit score will help.

Or something like that. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Probably years of cynicism at work, but I will say this: I've worked in the finance industry, and in the US at least there are a shit-ton of people who do not have anything approaching $12,000 worth of savings. That's folks of all ages. I think...no, I know, you're doing very well for your stage in life. Most of your neighbors would go into full blown panic mode if they missed a few paychecks.
    Well, I have that money now. I also have minimal expenses (ie. rent). It took me about...18 months to get to that point. That said I'm approaching the point where I'm making what I think is enough to support myself but I don't even know how to add up what I think my expenses would be and what they would cost. I'm also not taking classes, but I need to get back on that soon, which would mean less work time and less income.

One advantage you have is that the credit culture of the mid-late 90s thru early 00s has been curtailed. People aren't burying themselves in debt the way they did in those days.
    I'm avoiding that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I'm 20, and I only have $700 in my savings and a few thousand in a CD.

I'm horrible with money. Absolutely terrible. I've been working since I was 14, so I should have a lot more. I mean, I make rent and bills, but whatever I have left over...

Not only that, I even lose track of when I run out of spending money, so that means I get slammed with overdrafts or I max out my credit card. (Which has only a $500 limit, but still. It's the issue of not keeping track of my finances.)

This is the #1 thing that makes me question my J-ness. But I see you're a P and you're doing way better than I am.
    Meh you also have your own place.

But I'm very hesitant to reach a withdraw limit. I tend to keep cash laying around for that purpose. I need a floor safe, actually.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

figsfiggyfigs

Zero.

I'm not working.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I would say 3 months of expenses is a noble goal, if it's within your reach. After I had 3 months of expenses set up for emergency funds, I started spending my extra money on paying my debt down. I finished that when I was 27 or so, and I didn't have 6 months savings until I was 29 or so.

There's a program called "You Need a Budget" that is designed to help you always have at least 1 month's salary available. I tried it out and thought it was pretty decent. Might be worth a gander: Personal Budget Software - Finance Software for Windows, Mac & Linux

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah I bought my car cash.

I think it will be some time before I do something like lease a car. I don't want to deal with that now. My beat up Honda serves me admirably.
    Yes! It took me years to figure this out, but a vehicle is just that - transportation. Fuck it if it's not exactly what you've always wanted. I've been driving the same pickup truck for 7 years. And you know what? The fucker still gets me where I want to go.

I try not to spend money I don't have but I see the appeal of the credit card. I think I want to get a credit card, but really, I'd only use it to build my credit and just pay off everything immediately. As mentioned in another post I want to have my own business, so I think I might need loans to get that started, and having a good credit score will help.
    I do recommend that you get one credit card, and use it...then pay it the fuck off, every month. Your credit report will show activity, but not a balance carried. The perfect compromise. You'll build credit rating but not sustain debt. I wish I'd known as much 15 years ago!
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm 24, finishing my masters & working freelance, been working for 5 years (essentially part-time, I wouldn't have time for a full). I have around 5000 € of savings right now, 1500 € cash and 3500 € invested, short-term. I don't have any debt. Generally, I try to save around 30 % of my income, although I blow up quite a lot of money during the summer (vacations, trips, etc).

I always buy everything cash. Getting any credit is also quite impossible for anyone working freelance, over here at least. But that's good. Most of my friends that have started working right after high school seem to have lower saving levels, but that's because they spend recklessly, from my point of view (new car every year and half, new road bike, terribly expensive cocktails, dining out every day).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't even want to think how much I spent this year.....between trips and festivals and just leading an unexamined financial life....