that is all
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Sniffles

Alright then.

MBTI
    INTP

Word. Dates are evil, and can easily be looked up when one needs them in real life.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Memorizing dates is kind of pointless in my mind. What's more important is know approximately when events happen. I don't see why you need to know what exact date the Civil War started but you should probably know what decade it took place in.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by suchirony View Post
    Memorizing dates is kind of pointless in my mind. What's more important is know approximately when events happen. I don't see why you need to know what exact date the Civil War started but you should probably know what decade it took place in.
    see i'm fine with that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I agree that learning dates and proper spelling of names and stuff is not the most important aspect of history...... learning when mussolini was sworn in is balls compared to how/why he came into power and what he did etc...

but I mean, you need to learn SOME dates, if for no other reason than having a heuristic of when things happened, or else you might think the industrial revolution happened right after rome fell, or that we went into vietnam as soon as we left korea. you need your Si linkages, folks!

MBTI
    yupp

if i'm allowed to ball park it, I'm fine to know exact year i have trouble or if i need to know the sequence of events like spain and portugual set up first slave trade in 1502 that's cool that's an important date. but to know every date of every slave revolt gets tedious
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, you have to have some sense of dates. I know people who have "approximate" ideas of history that are....fucking scandalous. Like, I haven't thought the way they think since I was....ten? twelve? But I digress.

You have to have a handle on what was going on in certain centuries and decades and years politically, culturally, artistically to really understand WHY these historical events occurred.

Of course, if you aren't really *into* history or a history major, I can see why memorizing exact month and day would be annoying.

Then again, I recently had an annoying argument with someone about WWII who thought Hitler was still alive when we bombed Japan. That's kind of an important fucking detail.

Still, it *does* reek of Si and SJ-dom to focus sheerly on dates, I'll agree with that much. It's better to have an overall, big picture perspective ultimately. (Of course I say this being an N.)

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Come to think of it, that's probably something that turned me away from history. If I got a more N history teacher, I could've had fun with it. God knows it would've been closer to my uni major (philosophy) than chemistry.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Come to think of it, that's probably something that turned me away from history. If I got a more N history teacher, I could've had fun with it. God knows it would've been closer to my uni major (philosophy) than chemistry.
    Doubtful. My grandfather was ISTJ and indirectly made me love history.

Actually, he was pretty sly about it. He left interesting books lying around. One of the first things that I remember catching my attention other than the world news was the Bolshevik revolution and that whole myth about Anastasia. After that I read a historical fiction book about the sinking of Titanic, and I was hooked. I was about seven or eight at the time.

I think the most important thing is to make history come alive for people. I think the History channel and historical period films are one of the best things to ever happen, and some people don't even like that.