First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think the most important thing is to make history come alive for people. I think the History channel and historical period films are one of the best things to ever happen, and some people don't even like that.
    Nutcases.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Count me in as another who can't stand this aspect of history....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I fell asleep in history class. :zzz:

MBTI
    ENTP

I hated the history lessons with a passion. The teacher dictated us the lesson (list of dates, names and events) and all we did was write it down, learn it by heart and forget it afterwards. She told us we had to look for patterns and understand the thing, but she gave us only points on correct dates etc. I remember avaraging 7/10, which was bad for me, and most of these points I got because she also substracted points for spelling errors and I didn't make these. I've actively suppressed those memories. Even then I knew there had to be a better way to teach history, and I imagined the peoples in my stories loving histories and telling them in a way they are as exciting as fiction. (Of course, their histories were fiction made by me, which made them more interesting anyway, at least to me.)

And then a history freak came into my life. He became my husband and convinced me that real history was much more like my imagined history. We've got a tradition of telling histories while driving. Funny thing is, I remember lots of dates now, more than I ever remembered at school. They help me to place the events in their right order. I think knowing facts and dates are not bad at all. But... they have to make sense.

I remember being delighted with understanding en wonder when husband told me that in 1492 America was discovered and in the same 1492 (but earlier) Granada has been reconquered by the Spanish. The war was over, the Moors driven out, there was money to fund an expedition...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think the most important thing is to make history come alive for people. I think the History channel and historical period films are one of the best things to ever happen, and some people don't even like that.
    Yes and no. With the degeneration in quality in both, those arguments gain more legitimacy with each passing year. Personally I can't stand History Channel anymore.

Here's a good take on it:
    [youtube="FJ8KleL4fS4"]History Channel Parody[/youtube]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm just saying some people don't find history palatable even if you wrap it in bows and serve it with candy.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

They don't know that we have a freaking textbook.
    In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.

9w8 so/sx/sp

--Deviantart--

Sniffles

I think one can make history engaging while not dumbing it down or trivalizing it. Not easy I'll grant you, but it's possible and worthwhile. I often have to do this with my reenacting for example when I give talks to crowds.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Even more bad it gets when you have 5 years of history classes in school dealing with german war history. Sick and tired of it, so much for dealing with traumas for my older generation.

Remembering dates was the second worst part. Really bad it gets when you dated a blonde and a brunette on the same day and forgot about both dates. The next day you got beaten up by the blonde in the first lessons and just when you were crouching home after the last lesson the brunette's wraith came down on you
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Even more bad it gets when you have 5 years of history classes in school dealing with german war history. Sick and tired of it, so much for dealing with traumas for my older generation.
    The old Prussian militarism in reverse?