User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default If you had 100 million in the bank, would you still work?

I've pondered the same question but for 1 million and I think a lot of people (at least in america) would still work but what about 100 million? What would you do if you had it?

I think I would spend some on leisurely things, give some away to family/friends/charity, and then get bored and start working again. Except my work would be in something I loved that was fun, not work I HAD to do just to survive.

Oberon

100 million dollars is a job.

If you want to avoid having that money get stolen out from under you over time, you are going to have to get educated about business and finance, and actively manage those funds. Then it becomes your job to be a Chairman of the Board of various enterprises whether you like it or not.

Because, sure enough, if you do an invest-and-forget into a few safe-looking funds, that money will disappear on you bit-by-bit.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

If I had a million, I would take a sabbatical, for sure. If I had more than that, I would quit. I've been working for nearly 30 years, though, so I've had plenty of time to be sick of it. I would love some unstructured time and unlimited means.

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

I think I'd definitely still work since I love what im doing. I'd probably leave alot of my money to my children and granchildren in my will after I've invested it.
    Although thats thinking a bit far ahead...
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I think I would. You never know what can happen in the future (extreme inflation etc.). Plus, money can always get stolen.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I´d buy my way into some fine university, become a lifelong student of whatever interests me at the moment and travel a lot (ahem, after giving a part to some useful charity, of course.)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

absolutely not! i hate working. i'd travel a ton and buy an awesome house.

Phantonym

No working, no thanks. It's not a job if you're doing something you love and without having to worry about making ends meet helps a lot. You can just concentrate on the things that really interest you.

I would do whatever I wanted to do without being idiotic about it.

However, I also agree with Oberson that having that much money is a job on its own. The amount of worrying and managing all of that depends on how much you are willing to lose.

figsfiggyfigs

Yes I definitely would. or I'd go to school

I can NEVER just sit around and lounge.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

depends what is considered as work. i think i would buy some camera and record shop for fun and let other people manage them and get all the profits. i would naturally make decisions how those companies work and what kind of products they would sell. or would this be a job? i would also buy huge areas of land from some poor country where people could grow food for them, sell part of the products(and get paid a little, but big part of the profits would go to their community(like buying drugs and food for people who cant work) and keeping the plantations rolling) and maybe get paid with some small dot of land(like bonus after year or two of working there) where they can grow food for themselves so that i could hire new people to my plantation. dunno if that would count as a job either. i might also manage(or pay people to manage atleast most the stuff) some organization that would focus on preserving endangered cultures and nature and spread information about them(something like national geographic), trying to make money doing that and the profits would go to preserving those things.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read