User Tag List

First 34567 Last

ThatGirl

Yes, but not as hard.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I wouldn't work the job I have now. I'd start my quarter car wash/self - storage empire. Rack up a few PhD's in whatever useless yet interesting to me field I want and educate myself on how to keep an informed eye on that money. Invest, set up the kids, buy the vacant lot next door and put additions on our house.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Even with 75% of your money disappearing, you'd still have more money than you'd probably know what to do with.
    Not if you're interested in philanthropy. Not if you're interested in dedicating that wealth to actually changing the world in some positive way. Think of the professorships you could endow; think of the scholarships you could fund.

Magic, wouldn't that level of wealth represent a serious social obligation to you? Squander it, and you're just another useless lazy rich guy, coasting along on the sweat of others' backs and contributing nothing to society... right?

Or, in this scenario, are the only evil rich people the ones who aren't you?

MBTI
    ESFP

I'd study finance for a few years, but after that? hell no.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

If I had 100 million, I'd change my degree to business and financing, and then create volunteer organizations or own my own shop or invent things and invest in stocks.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Not really no..I would likely create a few companies and obviously want to remain involved but I'd hire people to run them and I'd still do photography but probably just for fun. I'd spend my time indulging my interests and traveling with family and friends.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

What moron would keep working for money with $100 million?

I'd volunteer or go to school or travel... but working some dumb job? No wai.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Not if you're interested in philanthropy. Not if you're interested in dedicating that wealth to actually changing the world in some positive way. Think of the professorships you could endow; think of the scholarships you could fund.

Magic, wouldn't that level of wealth represent a serious social obligation to you? Squander it, and you're just another useless lazy rich guy, coasting along on the sweat of others' backs and contributing nothing to society... right?

Or, in this scenario, are the only evil rich people the ones who aren't you?
    I said I'd spend it on a few admittedly luxurious things for myself (which plausibly wouldn't even reach 1 million. Not 5 million, I'm sure), put some away for safety, and like I said, be generous with the rest.

Perhaps I should just keep investing more and more of it into money making ventures while I delude myself that it's so I'll have more money to give later instead of, you know, just because I want more money, akin to the dictator that continues to secure more power "for the revolution".

Instead, I might as well just give what I have. That would be philanthropy. A sad thing about this society is that there's such a huge gulf. While 100 million is several times the amount one person could appreciate, it is an incredibly tiny fraction of the money made by the individuals who influence this society the most. I wouldn't bother trying to get there. I'd be doing more than most people ever do just to give most of the $100 million away (and in terms of giving a proportion of my wealth, I'd be more generous than anyone on the Forbes 400), and it's probably a safer bet for doing good than all the potential pitfalls in waiting to accumulate more.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I said I'd spend it on a few admittedly luxurious things for myself (which plausibly wouldn't even reach 1 million. Not 5 million, I'm sure), put some away for safety, and like I said, be generous with the rest.

Perhaps I should just keep investing more and more of it into money making ventures while I delude myself that it's so I'll have more money to give later instead of, you know, just because I want more money, akin to the dictator that continues to secure more power "for the revolution".

Instead, I might as well just give what I have. That would be philanthropy. A sad thing about this society is that there's such a huge gulf. While 100 million is several times the amount one person could appreciate, it is an incredibly tiny fraction of the money made by the individuals who influence this society the most. I wouldn't bother trying to get there. I'd be doing more than most people ever do just to give most of the $100 million away (and in terms of giving a proportion of my wealth, I'd be more generous than anyone on the Forbes 400), and it's probably a safer bet for doing good than all the potential pitfalls in waiting to accumulate more.
    I wasn't talking about accumulating more necessarily... I was talking about keeping and administering what you've got. It's not about greed, but about making that chunk of capital a going concern... putting it to work for the right reasons. Do that right and you can live off a small percentage of the interest you make, and spend the rest of that interest on philanthropy every single year for the rest of your life.

I personally think that would be one fascinating damn job.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ironically I think I'd be motivated to work much harder than I do right now. Every day I get a new idea for a business venture. If I had money I'd be able to turn some of these ideas into reality. (Or at least I'd do it much faster than I'm doing it right now.)

Also if I had $100 million I'd find some struggling writer or film student and give them a full time job as a dungeon master.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com