INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Participation Inequality on Forums

Interesting article I stumbled upon: 90-9-1 Theory - Wiki Patterns

Summary:
    In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.

I guess you could say that rule of thumb applies to this forum. I don't know what the exact percent breakdown would be but I think the vast majority of registered members are lurkers. Plus there's probably scores of people who read the forum and don't even bother to create an account.

I think I'd be in the 9% who contributes a little. I'm not one the dominant members here. I'm not exactly a mover and shaker here but I do like to contribute where I see appropriate.

Thoughts on this article?

I'm all for encouraging the lurkers to post more but I don't believe people should ever be coerced into posting. I've heard of forums, where you have to post every so often to stay a member. Bad idea in my opinion. If they don't want to post, that's their perogative. I think the best way to encourage lurkers to post is having an open and non-judgemental atmosphere. I've also heard about forums that impose post limits. For example, a member is limited to 10 posts a day. While the idea is to control volume and possibly to prevent people from posting excessively, I'm generally against post limits. The moderators can discourage people from posting meaningless fluff but if someone has something of substance to add, they should be free to do so, and do so frequentlly if they desire.
    Last edited by Such Irony; 09-17-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Interesting... I wonder if the statistics include users who have abandoned the community altogether. Then, the 1% feels quite accurate...

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Yeah those restrictions are silly. Things like that usually make me quit a forum altogether. The only good way to make people post would be with some sort of positive incentive. Maybe I can give out some lap-dances
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

If you post, you'll all die.
    Oh, its
    You

Do you have links to the article?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well members who lurk on the forum while signing in would generally be shown on the front page of the website. Yet more than 75% of people who you see have visited the forum today are known to participate in it so the statistics would be inaccurate for those who generally log in.

As for those who read around the forums as a guest, I would say that the statistics would tend to be more accurate yet still not in the range you presented.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Well members who lurk on the forum while signing in would generally be shown on the front page of the website. Yet more than 75% of people who you see have visited the forum today are known to participate in it so the statistics would be inaccurate for those who generally log in.

As for those who read around the forums as a guest, I would say that the statistics would tend to be more accurate yet still not in the range you presented.
    I just thought about this, too.
    +1.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I just thought about this, too.
    +1.
    Gold stars to our budding detectives.

Yeah, I think the statistics are inaccurate.

And then you have to consider spiders, which show up as guests but aren't ever contributing anything.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I started out as a lurker, then I turned into the 9% who contribute a little and now I notice I'm starting to post more and more (my average is 5.20 or something, but the last few months I usually post aroun 15 posts a day or something). So maybe I needed a little warm-up. That's the way it goes with nearly all the forums I visit.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

When I joined I did so but after visiting once or twice didnt return for a long time, I got the impression there where a couple of mean trolls tearing up the place at the time and decided to give it a bit of time before posting regularly.