User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Taking Notes

Hate

Default Taking Notes

Hello everyone.

So the school semester started again and I'm about three weeks in now. I have come to a conclusion about something though... I completely suck at taking notes.

Some teachers I have use powerpoint and lecture at the same time... Others just lecture. The ones that do both at the same time I can't seem to keep up with. I'll write what's on the powerpoint, but I can't seem to follow the information of what they're saying at the same time.

The ones that just lecture I never know what to write and I always just seem a few steps behind.

Any tips???

MBTI
    ISFJ

There's usually some fastidious ISTJ around who lends me his notes to photocopy them. Don't say there is no such person around, cause there is always one!

Banned

I just write down my general thoughts on the subject while it is being presented.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    There's usually some fastidious ISTJ around who lends me his notes to photocopy them. Don't say there is no such person around, cause there is always one!
    HA! Now that's a good one. I think this will be my first plan of action. Hmm... now what's the quickest way at spotting the fastidious ISTJs though?

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I just write down my general thoughts on the subject while it is being presented.
    Whatup homey! Damn... I've been meaning to holler at you. I checked out that list.

Yeah... I guess this is another strategy I could employ... I'm about to go to my night class right now. So I'm gonna try this as well as try to make friends with a good note taker.

ThatGirl

Get a voice recorder for lectures, and write key concepts from power point. Pay attention to what the professor views as most relevant.

Or, you can do a quick outline of the chapters in the text book, then quickly fill in points expanded upon during power point/lecture.

MBTI
    INTJ

Juice!

What's good man?

FYI- ISTJs will likely take down more than what's sufficient, and word for word, and can get frustrated if they don't take down every single statement.

Just listen for what's key- the PP is driving that and take down a few points that support those key statements.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, you mostly need what's on the PP and then fill in one or two statements if there is time after.

garbage

Do those who use Powerpoint offer their slides for download? Could you ask your professors for them? Because you could print those out, take them to class, and write down what they say next to their relevant bullet points.

If not.. well, depends on the nature of the class. You'll either (a) have to keep up with him if your class is more about rote memorization of facts, or (b) jot down the gist of things and piece them together with the greater context if the focus is on essays or application.

During class, one of my professors constantly asks which number in the hierarchy he'd just covered, or what a specific definition he gave was. I can never answer those questions, because I never take notes to that level of detail.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Do those who use Powerpoint offer their slides for download? Could you ask your professors for them? Because you could print those out, take them to class, and write down what they say next to their relevant bullet points.

^^^ Thats what i do too. I download the power points, and print them out...maybe 2 slides per page/per side. and write any notes/clarifications right on top. It's far easier that way.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Get a voice recorder for lectures, and write key concepts from power point. Pay attention to what the professor views as most relevant.

Or, you can do a quick outline of the chapters in the text book, then quickly fill in points expanded upon during power point/lecture.
    Yes... I like this... thanks TG.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Juice!

What's good man?
    Whatup IZ!

FYI- ISTJs will likely take down more than what's sufficient, and word for word, and can get frustrated if they don't take down every single statement.
    LOL! ... this had me rollin'

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I e-mailed my teachers to ask them and I'm waiting for their reply... hopefully they hook me up.

(b) jot down the gist of things and piece them together with the greater context if the focus is on essays or application.
    Yeah, I like that one.

*Thanks for the tips everyone... I'm really glad I asked.