Thread: Honesty

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Honesty

If you found a $100 on the floor in a public place what would you do?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

I'd pick it up, and then hang around for ten minutes or so to see if anyone came looking for it. If no one did, I'd keep it. After that point, I think any attempt to find the rightful owner is bound to be unsuccessful. And I'd rather keep it than turn it in to some "authority" that will probably wind up keeping it anyway.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, FMW.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Uh, I would definitely take it. A wallet's one thing, but how on earth would you trace a 100$ bill?

I don't think it's dishonest or unethical, when the only other option is leaving it on the ground for the next person to take...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, FMW.
    No wonder someone gave you a vote for "most intelligent"!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I'd pick it up, and then hang around for ten minutes or so to see if anyone came looking for it. If no one did, I'd keep it. After that point, I think any attempt to find the rightful owner is bound to be unsuccessful. And I'd rather keep it than turn it in to some "authority" that will probably wind up keeping it anyway.
    I might do something similar, though I might inform the people at the bar where to reach me if anyone comes asking for money they lost.

If I trusted the people who owned/ran the bar, I would give them the $100. I'm pretty sure that I would be the rightful owner after 7 days or something like that - not sure what the laws are.

I used to do things that were dishonest when I was young, and memories of those things still haunt me. It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I might do something similar, though I might inform the people at the bar where to reach me if anyone comes asking for money they lost.

If I trusted the people who owned/ran the bar, I would give them the $100. I'm pretty sure that I would be the rightful owner after 7 days or something like that - not sure what the laws are.

I used to do things that were dishonest when I was young, and memories of those things still haunt me. It's not worth it.
    In the situation you describe, being at a bar where I knew the owner, I might do the same. But the only description we were given was "a public place". I pictured the floor at a busy train station for some reason.

MBTI
    ENTP

Pick it up, hang around, if nobody came, donate it to charity
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    If you found a $100 on the floor in a public place what would you do?
    I would quickly pick it up and put it in my wallet before someone else tried to take it.

I mean, seriously, that's what you do when you find money. Why do some people want to give the money to someone else for no reason?

My thinking is, they obviously didn't want the money that much if they were just going to leave it laying around.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    [and Ivy's thought...]

Exactly what my thought was too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft