User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Honesty

MBTI
    INFP

I'd hang around a while to see if anyone is looking for their missing cash. If nobody shows up, I would tell the receptionist or manager that I found money, but I wouldn't tell how much. If someone calls about missing money, and it's the same amount, of course, I'd give it back.

If I found the bill outside, I'd just keep or donate it to my church, unless, of course, word comes back to me that someone is missing money in that area (and I'd ask how much).
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would do what FMW said, also. If someone came to claim it, I would ask them what the serial number was, to verify it was theirs.
    If they have the serial numbers memorized... that would scare me. (Yes, I saw the j/k )

I should amend my first answer to:

"C. You use it to buy gifts for your friends and your loved ones."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Because I know how shitty I'd feel if it was my money and someone didn't even make a token effort to get it back to me. It could be all the person has left, they could desperately need it.

Actually what I did once years ago, when I found some money in a little plastic bag, was to pick it up and take it to a nearby church. I left it in the care of the priest there, and left a note on the nearest surface (it was a bench) to where I found the money. The priest and I agreed that if nobody claimed it in a couple of weeks, it could go to the church. But in two days, someone did come to claim it. He quizzed them on exactly what denomination coins and notes were in there, the exact amount and stuff, and they proved it really was theirs. They were amazed that it hadn't just been stolen, and really, really grateful. I think it went some way towards restoring their faith in humanity as well... it helped boost mine too, that nobody came to claim it to whom it didn't really belong.
    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I like hearing stories where a priest can be trusted and relied upon. The clergy has taken a beating in recent years and it's nice to see something like this. And good on you, as well...what a perfect solution!
    I agree. That is a nice story and it's nice to hear something like that for a change.

I have taught my kids that we should do whatever we can to try to find the owner of whatever we find. I am NOT a believer in "finders keepers". Like substitute, I prefer, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah... I remember a few months back my daughter dropped her toy and left it behind in a shop. I know this isn't money but it's the same principle... it was a rare imported Pokemon toy from Japan that she got for her birthday (she's NUTS about Pokemon) and she was inseparable from this toy from the minute she opened it. She always took it everywhere with her and was super careful to remember not to leave it places.

But just once, when we were in a shop full of wondrous things (lol) and the distraction was just too great, she left poor Charizard behind. When she realized it about twenty minutes after we'd left the shop, she was in tears. I tried to calm her down and said no, it's okay, we'll go back to the shop and someone is bound to have handed it in. I figured c'mon, it's only a stuffed toy, why would anyone take something like that, when it obviously belonged to a child that might be heartbroken? Who'd do that to a kid?

But y'know, nobody had handed it in, and the place where she left it... well we checked the whole shop, and it was nowhere to be seen. Someone had picked it up and thought "finders keepers!" And it just totally destroyed my little one, she was inconsolable and wouldn't sleep for days because she didn't have it. I had to import another one from Japan and pretend the shop had called to say they found it after all, because it was seriously upsetting her.

I wished I could impale the SOB that took that on a meathook and pull their entrails out. I can see their mind now: "Ooh cool, a Charizard! I'll have that, finders keepers!" and all the justifications they probably told themselves while my poor little baby was crying her eyes out. You selfish, nasty mofo!!

But you know, it wasn't even so much just how much it upset her to lose the toy that gets to me most - it's the damage it did to her and her sister's faith in humanity.

That's why I still give to bums even if people say they're addicts or con artists or whatever. I figure, they're sitting there and nobody gives them anything, everyone just walks by - even if they are con artists, I bet they're thinking y'know, people are such a**holes, nobody gives a damn about anyone else. Then someone stops to talk to them and buys them a coffee and it gets harder for them to think that all people are selfish a**holes... and then, it gets harder for them to justify conning people...

Sorry... derailment over! Just had to get that out!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Once you put yourself in the shoes of the person who lost it,
    it's easier to be motivated to try to find them.
    That's a horrible experience for your daughter, and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do about the person who took Charizard.
    I'm sure I'd feel the same way - about the impaling part.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Well the reason I asked was because this very thing happened to me this evening. I was at Chipotle's getting dinner and while I was looking for my credit card in my giant sack purse I happened to look down and saw wads of $20 bills on the floor. I immediately picked it up ($100) and mentioned this to the Manager. The person before me was still there eating so we approached her and asked her if she was missing any money. She checked her wallet and said yes so I gave her the money. I really don't think it hit her what had happened until after I walked away. She seemed relieved and I do believe that she did drop it and I was happy to return it to her. Had she not have still been there I'm not sure what I would have done. I like INTJMom's idea of having the manager contact me in the event the owner of the money came back in or called.

I don't agree with pocketing it straight away before someone else sees it. Finders keepers is a crappy saying and had I chosen to do that today I would be agonizing over it right now and I like sleeping at night.

I recall another time when I was grocery shopping at Harris Teeter and my son found $40 in the change tray at the self checkout lane. I tried to call out to the woman who I believe left it there but she was in such a hurry and I was unable to run after her. I had all three kids with me and I didn't want to hold the line up or cause a scene by running after her. It's also worth mentioning that ironically she and I entered the store at the same time and I couldn't help but noticing what a bitter nasty look she had on her face. Is was a little bit comical. :P Well anyway I kept the $40 in my wallet for a few weeks since I felt it wasn't really mine. I decided against turning it into the store manager as I believe that he'd have only stuffed it in his pocket.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    yupp

i thought you meant a place where people passed through relatively quick like a train station at a resteraunt I'd probably do that, I know at chipotle their is chance they got their food to go, but still a chance that they ate it their. but the problem with cash is anyone can guess that right number, so unless their's a guaranteed way of knowing it's theirs they could just be taking advantage of you.

really it would depend on how I felt about the world at the moment.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    1w2

This actually happened to me a couple of years ago. I went to the ATM machine and saw $80 worth of $20s still in the slot. I looked around and then picked up the money to see if it was real. I bought my friends and I drinks with it. I've lost money just the same so it all balances out.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i thought you meant a place where people passed through relatively quick like a train station at a resteraunt I'd probably do that, I know at chipotle their is chance they got their food to go, but still a chance that they ate it their. but the problem with cash is anyone can guess that right number, so unless their's a guaranteed way of knowing it's theirs they could just be taking advantage of you.
    Ditto to pretty much all of this.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post

really it would depend on how I felt about the world at the moment.
    Oh sure I know what you're saying but I was satisfied in believing that it was her money. Maybe it was her behavior as I walked away. She seemed confused and then relieved just as I would be in the same situation. I've thrown cash in my purse without organizing it in my wallet and imo that's a surefire way to lose it.
    Time is a delicate mistress.