User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Honesty

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    If you found a $100 on the floor in a public place what would you do?
    Fricken mind reader! I was seriously going to start this thread. Get off the INFJ brain wave frequency! :steam:

But if I found $100 on the floor and nobody came around to claim it, then I'd probably stuff it in some charity jar somewhere. I'm kinda superstitious about karma and I believe in spreading good fortune.

MBTI
    yupp

walk away do something come back if its still their take it. That's what I do when I see something of interest on the floor of the lobby of my building I go to the 7-11 buy something and if it's still their I figured it's owner doesn't miss it and someone else is going to take so why not I? and the other for me walking away is so I can be filled with regret instead of guilt if someone else snags its.

though it would also depend ultimately on the ratio of guilt to regret I felt that day.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I would pocket it and keep my ears open for anyone looking for a 100 dollar bill. If no ones looking I'd forget about it till I find it in that same pant pocket when I'm doing laundry later.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I would quickly pick it up and put it in my wallet before someone else saw it.

I mean, seriously, that's what you do when you find money. Why do some people want to give the money to someone else for no reason?
    Because I know how shitty I'd feel if it was my money and someone didn't even make a token effort to get it back to me. It could be all the person has left, they could desperately need it.

Actually what I did once years ago, when I found some money in a little plastic bag, was to pick it up and take it to a nearby church. I left it in the care of the priest there, and left a note on the nearest surface (it was a bench) to where I found the money. The priest and I agreed that if nobody claimed it in a couple of weeks, it could go to the church. But in two days, someone did come to claim it. He quizzed them on exactly what denomination coins and notes were in there, the exact amount and stuff, and they proved it really was theirs. They were amazed that it hadn't just been stolen, and really, really grateful. I think it went some way towards restoring their faith in humanity as well... it helped boost mine too, that nobody came to claim it to whom it didn't really belong.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Because I know how shitty I'd feel if it was my money and someone didn't even make a token effort to get it back to me. It could be all the person has left, they could desperately need it.

Actually what I did once years ago, when I found some money in a little plastic bag, was to pick it up and take it to a nearby church. I left it in the care of the priest there, and left a note on the nearest surface (it was a bench) to where I found the money. The priest and I agreed that if nobody claimed it in a couple of weeks, it could go to the church. But in two days, someone did come to claim it. He quizzed them on exactly what denomination coins and notes were in there, the exact amount and stuff, and they proved it really was theirs. They were amazed that it hadn't just been stolen, and really, really grateful. I think it went some way towards restoring their faith in humanity as well... it helped boost mine too, that nobody came to claim it to whom it didn't really belong.
    I like hearing stories where a priest can be trusted and relied upon. The clergy has taken a beating in recent years and it's nice to see something like this. And good on you, as well...what a perfect solution!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I have to admit, that reaction confuses me. Sure, they could (on some off-chance) need it, but they could also (more likely) be a rich person or a thief. I tend to think people who actually need money would be a little more careful not to leave it laying around. It's not as if I'd ever know which was the case. And it's not as if anyone would really think less of me for taking it.

I mean, think about it. Why do banks and cashiers keep their money in secure boxes or vaults? Because they know that people are going to take money if they see it just laying out.

But if it helps, I tend to give money to anyone who asks me for some if I have it.

MBTI
    INTJ

I would do what FMW said, also. If someone came to claim it, I would ask them what the serial number was, to verify it was theirs.

j/k
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I have to admit, that reaction confuses me. Sure, they could (on some off-chance) need it, but they could also (more likely) be a rich person or a thief. I tend to think people who actually need money would be a little more careful not to leave it laying around. It's not as if I'd ever know which was the case. And it's not as if anyone would really think less of me for taking it.

I mean, think about it. Why do banks and cashiers keep their money in secure boxes or vaults? Because they know that people are going to take money if they see it just laying out.

But if it helps, I tend to give money to anyone who asks me for some if I have it.
    I don't think that it's harder to lose money you really need. Anyone can have a bill fall out of their pocket, and $100 bills don't stick to your person any better than $1 bills just because they're valuable. I don't know anyone that hasn't lost something valuable, and it's not because they didn't treat it with care. Sometimes it just happens. Besides, even if that $100 did belong to a rich person, it's still theirs. It doesn't lessen an obligation to try to return it if you would feel the same obligation for a poor person.

MBTI
    ENTP

I wouldn't agree with that I'm afraid. Poor people vastly outnumber rich people, and tend to more often (in my culture at home anyway) carry cash, due to lack of access to banking facilities and credit/debit cards and stuff. Nobody leaves money lying around knowingly, and rich people get rich precisely because they are super careful with their money.

Accidents can happen to anyone, I wouldn't dream of judging or speculating about a person's nature or personal circumstances based purely on the evidence that they accidentally dropped something. It's happened to me once or twice that I've had my keys in the same pocket as my cash, and when I've taken the keys out, some cash has fallen out without my noticing until later, when I go to take it out of my pocket to find it's not there.

Luckily I'm not poor enough to be denied banking facilities so I only carry small amounts of cash on my person anyway, but dropping money can be nothing more than the result of absent mindedness, temporary distraction - it could be any reason at all. And I wouldn't say someone deserves to not be able to pay their rent for a week and possibly be thrown out of their home, because of a bit of absent mindedness. Y'know, there's just no way of knowing. But what I do know is that it's not my money, and that I was going to manage without it if I hadn't found it, so there's simply no justifcation or reason why I should have it. So it'll go either back to its owner, or elsewhere.

Why? I'm just not greedy, I guess. If that's strange, then hey, I'm strange...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    In the situation you describe, being at a bar where I knew the owner, I might do the same. But the only description we were given was "a public place". I pictured the floor at a busy train station for some reason.
    Isn't that funny that I imagined it was a bar! Weird! Actually, one of my guilty memories concerns $20 I found on the floor in a bar. I guess it was one of those Freudian slips!