User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Is it easier to be happy if you're an S?

Random consideration (:P) that just now popped up in my mind. So? What do you think?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

In some regards I think it is. That's not to say that Ss are simpler people, but they are more practical. Most I know feel that if you can't change something, it's not worth twisting yourself up about. It's more about what is than what ought to be. That's what it looks to me anyway from my immediate family members and ex bf's experiences. They are almost all Ts though, so maybe they just also express those feelings differently/not at all.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    In some regards I think it is. That's not to say that Ss are simpler people, but they are more practical. Most I know feel that if you can't change something, it's not worth twisting yourself up about. It's more about what is than what ought to be. That's what it looks to me anyway from my immediate family members and ex bf's experiences. They are almost all Ts though, so maybe they just also express those feelings differently/not at all.
    I think it can work both ways. I do agree that S types are probably more likely to accept things that can't be changed and roll with the punches. Well the SPs anyway. I think the SJs do accept things as they are generally but I'm not sure they always adapt so well when life gives them lemons. I would think SPs are more naturally optimistic- "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

On the other hand, an excessive amount of S can lead to being stuck in a rut and not seeing other possibilities or alternatives. Which can lead to depression if you think there is no way out of your predicament. I think SJ is more prone to that than SP. But are SJs any less happy overall than SPs? I doubt it. For one thing, society tends to favor SJs more than SPs and SPs have to 'swim upstream' more. This added stress on the SPs could lead to unhappiness.

Overall, though, I don't think there is a most happy or least happy type. All types experience both happiness and sadness but I do think what makes someone particularly happy or sad varies to some degree depending on type.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ

I think anyone who can live in the moment and enjoy where they're at right now is happier. I don't know that all S's do that, but I don't think many N's do.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I would like to believe it isn't, but considering that the world is designed for the majority, it probably is.

Of course you can find a niche for yourself, it isn't like you are an alien and that's that, but still, it seems that for many S it would happen more automatically, since they can fit into many more places. The way you have this happen for an N is maybe if you are interested in studying and become a professor. But in that case you will have to be more than an N, you need to be intelligent as well.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Need to get some Sensors in here to give their take but I believe one of the keys to sustainable happiness is the ability to appreciate the moment, in the moment, something that comes easier to SPs and those high in Se.

Although I would add as an E7 optimism and looking on the bright side of life could be linked to happiness also.

Maybe the E7 SP has the potential to be the happiest of the happy: Let's ask Halla

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I don't know. I am a very expressive person. I show all of my feelings, whether they are sadness, happiness, or quiet contentment. When I'm out walking and I see dead animals on the side of the road, I feel very sad. I feel very sad about the ugliness in the world... the oil spills, the wars, the violence. I am not at all focused on the future. It seems like an abstract concept to me. My world is the world that exists right now. If it is out of balance, I feel sad because I don't see an end to the negativity.
    On the other hand, I am easily distracted by music, butterflies, and bright colors. Those things make me happy again, even though I am still aware that my world just isn't right...
    edit: I have yet to determine my e-type but it's either seven or nine.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

I don't know... I think when I get depressed, I get more brooding and introspective (more N?). When I am happier I just find myself living each day as it comes (more S?). Still trying to be kind and thoughtful, though.

Edit: I also relate to a lot of what Walking Tourist wrote, about encountering sadness, my world feeling out of balance, being easily distracted, but still sort of feeling like something isn't right...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah I think there are strengths and weaknesses to each, and S/N is just one factor in one's happiness with current events. N might be prone to see both the best and the worst of the situation (which is good or bad), and might think up solutions but also might never implement them. S has its own issues.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Need to get some Sensors in here to give their take but I believe one of the keys to sustainable happiness is the ability to appreciate the moment, in the moment, something that comes easier to SPs and those high in Se.
    I think this is more important than anything else. How convenient Se is my eight function uh?