User Tag List

First 123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure you can really say if it's "easier" either way unless you could really experience being both.

I do think consciously choosing to enjoy simple pleasures and being thankful for the present rather than yearning for the future will improve happiness, and while this isn't easy for every S by any stretch, it may be more natural for SPs in general than the non-SP population. The SJs, I don't know. I think they would have more of a tendency to dwell on the past which could be unhealthy, but also may have a more "streamlined" role in society, so it's a toss-up. But certainly Ns can, and many do, enjoy the joys of the moment without detracting from their interest in the abstract!

Ns seem to be more prone to existential/"emo" depression than Ss, since they seem more likely to worry about the abstractly depressing things, but this isn't necessarily a big part of general depression or unhappiness.

I do think all types can be happy or sad (obviously) and I don't think we can conclusively say that any type is even "generally" happier or sadder - the most I would say is that some types might tend towards emotional extremes (either in terms of person-to-person baselines or day-to-day), whereas others are generally more stable. It would be interesting to see evidence of this though (as much as you can get with mbti, at least).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm going with Maybe. I've never had trouble being happy.. but it does seem like N's struggle with happiness more than S's do. Just a personal observation, it need not be accurate.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I'm usually pretty happy... Until something throws a curve ball at me. Like yesterday, my entire day was just off... And today I've been a verbal punching bag for everyone around here today... So...right now it's really hard for me to bounce back and be happy.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Let me just add, that the thread title is not meant to imply Ss are happier necessarily, but that they possess the tools to, allied with self-awareness, enjoy life a lot more. Enjoy what they have, and not what they don't.

It's harder to get lost in the moment for an N (at least for me) than some might realize.

Aren't we all sensors to some degree? Se is useful and worth embracing. In doing so, it makes it easier to relate to more people.

As far as happier, sensing doesn't equate to happiness. But it's a great function to lighten up an already too serious and intense world.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Maybe intuitives suffer from anxiety more often than sensors. Maybe intuitives are more reactive to traumatic stimuli than sensors.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    it does seem like N's struggle with happiness more than S's do.
    It seems to me like S's would be able to enjoy an experience for what it is, and not analyze it to death wondering, "is this supposed to make me happy? Is it making me happy?"

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Let me just add, that the thread title is not meant to imply Ss are happier necessarily, but that they possess the tools to, allied with self-awareness, enjoy life a lot more. Enjoy what they have, and not what they don't.

It's harder to get lost in the moment for an N (at least for me) than some might realize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Ns seem to be more prone to existential/"emo" depression than Ss, since they seem more likely to worry about the abstractly depressing things, but this isn't necessarily a big part of general depression or unhappiness.

I do think all types can be happy or sad (obviously) and I don't think we can conclusively say that any type is even "generally" happier or sadder - the most I would say is that some types might tend towards emotional extremes (either in terms of person-to-person baselines or day-to-day), whereas others are generally more stable. It would be interesting to see evidence of this though (as much as you can get with mbti, at least).
    Is there a difference between the reasons of S depression and N depression? I've noticed that while I can be depressed with not doing anything for a long time, with an S friend it is so much shorter time. She has to be doing something pretty regularly and she even said that she likes the doing because she will have things to talk about. Like, if nothing didn't happen she would run out of topics. Or is this more because she's an extrovert?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

happiness is easy as an S... it should be easy as an N too...
    it is about tapping into your self, feeling the power of your self no matter WHAT that power is.

i love the immediacy of "living in the present",...
    but embrace the force of your own life.
    who the fuck cares what that means. it is YOUR life. live it!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

If you want a "scientific" take on the issue, Big-5 correlations have shown that the only MBTI-like trait positively correlated with happiness is extraversion, while openness to experience does not have a significant impact.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp