User Tag List

First 5131415

A few times, I ended up being interesting to both girls, pissing the friend off, and having to cut it short, and drive home with him or choosing them. Something like that. Like musical chairs or something. Somehow my quietness works the more drunk people get. I still think having Curly along would be better for everyone though.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    A few times, I ended up being interesting to both girls, pissing the friend off, and having to cut it short, and drive home with him or choosing them. Something like that. Like musical chairs or something. Somehow my quietness works the more drunk people get. I still think having Curly along would be better for everyone though.
    Yeah, some girls like introverts. I do.

It's better to bring someone pushy and obnoxious along, probably.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Do you think other people regard you as physically attractive, and do you think that affects the range of experiences you have in your life?
    I think I am generally regarded as an attractive person, based on feedback from other people. I may not be "hot" or "beautiful" or everyone's cup of tea, but overall, people usually respond positively to my appearance. I'm a visual person & have no problem admitting that I pay attention to my own appearance & the appearance of others. Being sexy/desirable is rarely in the front of my mind though (that's sooo boring) - I usually prefer my appearance to be "interesting" - be it quirky, unique or just expressive of some concept that I feel suits me. I like makeup & fashion because I see them as tools for this expression. In any case, the attention I pay to my appearance does often result in positive attention from other people, but I don't feel that is my main motive.

My appearance has affected my experiences. In a negative sense, it will make people interpret my shyness as "snobbery". Or people assume you're not very smart if you're attractive, especially if you put effort into it (ie. I like makeup & fashion). I think this is more of a woman issue though (ie. "attractive, feminine women are not smart or nice"). On a positive note, it does draw people to you, and I'm sure that affords opportunities where very homely people are overlooked or even avoided. That said, I am not oh so attractive that I feel it affects my life in any major way. I feel my personality has had a MUCH larger effect on my life experience.

When I was a kid, I was an "ugly duckling" and it's funny how people would assume I was "smart" due to my awkward appearance & glasses. They did not even know me! When I was a teen & came out of the awkward phase, I definitely saw a difference in how I was viewed by people, but I don't see my life quality improving much on the whole. I admit that, in the depths of my head, I will always be an odd 8 year old girl with really crooked teeth & giant Daria glasses. I don't see myself that way, so much as feel that way.

Are people nicer or blasé towards based on your level of physically attractiveness?
    Sometimes they are nicer, other times they may be catty towards me or rude, assuming I must be stuck up. Outside of the idea of "attractiveness", I also appear to look young & naive, and this seems to alter people's treatment towards me as much, if not more. Again, here, I see my personality coloring my general demeanor, so that impressions go beyond my looks. Basically, I usually don't make good first impressions on people.

If you were ugly as a mule, do you think people would respond to you quite in the same way?
    No, I don't think I'd have the same experience. I'm not sure exactly how it would differ & in what areas though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I do sometimes wonder if women are more genuinely attracted to personality than men, though. I do wonder that, because it seems to me that I'm usually most attracted to the guy who I think has the most interesting personality, as long as he's decent looking and not obese he doesn't have to necessarily look a certain way.

Is this more common with females?
    I can't see that as being true, to be honest. Actually, in many ways women seem to care a little bit less about purely "physical" appearance (face, body, etc), being a little bit more focussed on what the guy is wearing, how he's wearing it, his general approach to his appearance. Often that's also filtered through whatever "standard" applies in a given city / state / nation (so given my style I may be scorned by girls that have grown up in place A, while I may get a lot of attention by girls that have grown up in place B, etc.). Obviously I'm generalizing to the extreme, but that's a pattern I have noticed.

Example: I have a friend which is really into taking care of himself as far as clothing, hair style. This attitude is really appreciated where we both live - when we go out togheter, girls are much more interested in him (not that we're competing about it, but that's something you notice). Some time ago we visited another city where it's "hip" to look like you don't give a shit about your clothes, hair, style etc. and I was somewhat bewildered to see how I girls were much more interested in me rather than him - he was considered "weird", actually.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm plain/average, but I clean up fairly nice. I noticed years ago that I was treated differently depending on whether I was cleaned up or not, so I make sure I'm cleaned up when it matters.
    Grooming goes a long way. Also beauty is an equalizer so makes a more noticeable impact in. Ceertain situations. The more marginalized you are the more important looks ecome for immediate recognition. Also looking rich or expensive helps. I notice peeople treat me differently depending on how I am dressed. I also am more successful dating when I weigh less but this could also be a self confidence thing. I am more used to people judging me based on personal style and if I fit into the particular venue or if I'm hip enough.

Beautiful women and men get used to being catered to and getting away with things. In some ways beauty is like wealth. There are HUGE and obvious differences in how people are treated bc of the way they are perceived and attractiveness is one of them.

Btw you can be ugly as sin but if you are wealthy and dress as such you get a similar higher level of regard.

You can also earn this regard by being charming funny or extremely useful. Basically all roads lead to Rome and there are different ways to get attention. For whatever reason better looking people catch more breaks more immediately (as soon as they are seen)
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Grooming goes a long way. Also beauty is an equalizer so makes a more noticeable impact in. Ceertain situations. The more marginalized you are the more important looks ecome for immediate recognition. Also looking rich or expensive helps. I notice peeople treat me differently depending on how I am dressed. I also am more successful dating when I weigh less but this could also be a self confidence thing. I am more used to people judging me based on personal style and if I fit into the particular venue or if I'm hip enough.

Beautiful women and men get used to being catered to and getting away with things. In some ways beauty is like wealth. There are HUGE and obvious differences in how people are treated bc of the way they are perceived and attractiveness is one of them.

Btw you can be ugly as sin but if you are wealthy and dress as such you get a similar higher level of regard.

You can also earn this regard by being charming funny or extremely useful. Basically all roads lead to Rome and there are different ways to get attention. For whatever reason better looking people catch more breaks more immediately (as soon as they are seen)
    It is like wealth and can get you things and take you place.
    So I try to make the most of what I have and now I am really conscious of it. I'm not hot but I'm not bad looking so I'm going to take it as far as it can go.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.