Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    The issue here is that the intent I had with the thread assumed from the beginning that physical attraction is objective, purely aesthetically attraction.

If a person being nice on the inside makes you more attracted to her/him (which is something I can relate to, let's not get confused)....that I'm not counting as physical attraction. That is mental attraction. It doesn't make you more physically attracted to that person. Sure it makes the idea of intimacy more pleasing....but it's still a separate thing.

Physical attraction = body. Dead body even.
    Mental attraction = mind, personality
    Sexual attraction = can require only body or mind attraction or both, depending on the person
    I don't think physical attraction is objective. I could think one guy is sexy as hell, and other chicks might think he's a total nerd. Or one woman could go on and on about how gorgeous some other dude is, and I'll think he's nothing special.

You're saying sexual attraction is different than physical attraction, but what if some people think that small, thin, pale people are beautiful, and others think tall, muscular, bronzed people are beautiful?? How is that objective?

I think the one thing that might be objective is health: like, that person looks healthy, they aren't ugly. That sort of thing. But I wouldn't go as far as to call that physical attraction.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

So how the person is would still shine through the burn scars? Then you need to write that differently. It doesn't shine through HOW one looks but irrespective of how one looks.

But then you go ahead and say they go together and can't be totally separated So a burning accident would prevent that from happening again then...or the person would just have a new personality because he/she was a burn victim? I'm confused.
    I went to college with a guy whose face was badly burned and scarred. He had nice hair and was well-groomed and dressed nicely, carried himself well. He ended up marrying a very pretty girl, a girl of upper middle class like himself who also kept herself well and was very confident. He somehow radiated handsome without actually looking handsome. I didn't like him much myself because I'm kind of classist, but I'm sure he's done very well for himself.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think physical attraction is objective. I could think one guy is sexy as hell, and other chicks might think he's a total nerd. Or one woman could go on and on about how gorgeous some other dude is, and I'll think he's nothing special.

You're saying sexual attraction is different than physical attraction, but what if some people think that small, thin, pale people are beautiful, and others think tall, muscular, bronzed people are beautiful?? How is that objective?

I think the one thing that might be objective is health: like, that person looks healthy, they aren't ugly. That sort of thing. But I wouldn't go as far as to call that physical attraction.
    I mean objective from the beholder's point of view. Like, I can tell a girl is beautiful...but still not be drawn to her. She isn't sexy. Her face looks good, is proportional, has this and that feature that I like...but devoid of personality I have no way to know if I find her sexy.

You see a photo of someone you never met, and you can tell if you it's easy on the eyes or not. You can also see a phot of someone you never met and by your more objective criteria it is unappealing.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you're ignoring the fact that how someone moves, little communication quirks and other such small behaviors also add a great deal to a person's physical attractiveness AND reflect the person who lives in the body as well... like a coworker of mine who's all smiles and laughs about things and is always thought to be more attractive than he would be otherwise... or when you see a guy walk by who feels incredibly confortable in his skin, to the point where he moves like a tiger- that lends about a million hotness points

you're definitions are too narrow, sytpg... and no, I'm not going to argue with you relentlessly all evening, I'm cooking dinner
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you're ignoring the fact that how someone moves, little communication quirks and other such small behaviors also add a great deal to a person's physical attractiveness AND reflect the person who lives in the body as well... like a coworker of mine who's all smiles and laughs about things and is always thought to be more attractive than he would be otherwise... or when you see a guy walk by who feels incredibly confortable in his skin, to the point where he moves like a tiger- that lends about a million hotness points
    You didn't even bother to read my posts. If you had, you'd find I'm differentiating that je ne sais quois from pure PHYSICAL attraction. What you described is PERSONALITY.But no worries.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Physical movement and personality have a LARGE impact on how people perceive the attractiveness of others in social settings, therefore it's not entirely objective of a judgement
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I mean objective from the beholder's point of view. Like, I can tell a girl is beautiful...but still not be drawn to her. She isn't sexy. Her face looks good, is proportional, has this and that feature that I like...but devoid of personality I have no way to know if I find her sexy.

You see a photo of someone you never met, and you can tell if you it's easy on the eyes or not. You can also see a phot of someone you never met and by your more objective criteria it is unappealing.
    Okay, sure, I can agree that we can look at photographs or be ignorant of someone's personality (though that is difficult to do because of facial expressions, body language, eye contact, vocalizations...) and agree that the person has youth, health, and symmetry. Sure we can. That's what I meant by health. We can even say someone has better bone structure than another person, but not be attracted to them sexually. Okay.

But "beautiful" what is actually "beautiful" to one person or another is subjective.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Physical movement and personality have a LARGE impact on how people perceive the attractiveness of others in social settings, therefore it's not entirely objective of a judgement
    No shit. Like I said, if you read my posts, you'd understand I never said otherwise.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Okay, sure, I can agree that we can look at photographs or be ignorant of someone's personality (though that is difficult to do because of facial expressions, body language, eye contact, vocalizations...) and agree that the person has youth, health, and symmetry. Sure we can. That's what I meant by health. We can even say someone has better bone structure than another person, but not be attracted to them sexually. Okay.

But "beautiful" what is actually "beautiful" to one person or another is subjective.
    Sure, but somewhat (not totally!) objective from a personal stand point. Like a person tends to be more attracted statically to certain types of features. If you like high cheek bones and blue eyes....you do like high cheek bones and blue eyes. People have preferences is what I mean.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sure, but somewhat (not totally!) objective from a personal stand point. Like a person tends to be more attracted statically to certain types of features. If you like high cheek bones and blue eyes....you do like high cheek bones and blue eyes. People have preferences is what I mean.
    Yeah, and those preferences are still subjective. Objective indicates that we, collectively, can measure a standard: like youth, health, symmetry.

We can even say, for example, that some women on this site get flirted with more often than others. This may be due to an objective agreement that these women have balanced facial features and decent figures. But I also think, even on-line, that the people who get the most attention get it because of personality, too. It's a combination of the two things, not just one or the other.