User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default How do you feel about Facebook?

I am conflicted in my feelings about it. To remain in touch with some of the people I care about, it appears that I need to have it. It's also nice sometimes to have a way for some acquaintances to get ahold of me or me them, or to find certain contact people. It's been a good way to stay in touch with friends whose address changes frequently, have contact info stored in one place, and also to keep in touch with ex-students. I like the chat feature it has as well.

On the other hand, I think overall it's ended up changing the way people communicate in a negative way. I rarely ever get emails anymore of any kind. I find that people are more happy to observe each other's life rather than communicate directly, much in the same way that one might follow celebrity gossip. People tend to share an inappropriately intimate amount of information for the breadth of the audience they are sharing it with. I have reservations about the privacy policy on Facebook. I also have some concerns about the implications of kids using it without discretion or supervision.

What's your opinion on it?

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not a fan. I used it for about 2 months before it snowballed out of control with people friending me willy-nilly. Admittedly they all either were friends or had been friends in the past, but I like keeping a lower profile than facebook seemed to allow. I guess there was also the fact that my friends are in some case very different from one another, which made having them all posting in the same place a bit awkward.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't like it... and I've been a member since it started (before all of the games and walls and things of that sort!). I'm actually tempted to delete my account because it's more trouble than it's worth and I haven't checked in for over 2 months or so

I just think that if someone really wants to get ahold of me they'll call me or send me an e-mail- having to wade through my wall and things of that sort is just a chore that I don't really care for
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    SLI

I think it's useful, but it's generally too public and I don't trust Facebook to keep my private information truly private. The public side where I'm 'friends' with everybody I know is good for organising events or keeping in touch with people that I talk to often, but there's also all the people who like to clog up your news feed with how fucking bored they are and begging for people to talk to them, which I don't really care to read about. Plus all the 'pages' that people 'like' and updates from the games everybody plays... I used to do that too, but I've since realised how pointless it is. I've heard that you can filter them out, but I don't want to miss things and it seems like a lot of work for something I don't use often enough.
    Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
    - Duke Leto Atreides

Johari/Nohari
    Because random people I meet on the internet are the best judges of my personality.

MBTI
    ESFP

I have a love/hate relationship with facebook.

I use it a lot to talk to people. I use facebook chat to keep up with people. When I am lonely I go find someone to talk to.

I hate it, because there is drama that could be avoided if facebook didnt exist. Lots of assumptions go around, even quicker than gossip normally does.
    "The best things in life are silly" - Scott Adams

It never bothered me that I don't have facebook account.

I just sent everyone in this thread a friend request... soon to followed by a barrage of Farmville events!

I don't like getting friend requests from people I work with very remotely who are just trying to network. With using my real name and having some "work friends" on Facebook, it's one more public image to manage which potential employers or clients will likely look at. I don't like managing any image.

It does affect quality of communication some, but it also allows me to keep in touch more on a trivial level, which can then be used to help maintain things on a less superficial level. I don't hesitate to call people on the phone as soon as I sense frustration with the communication medium from either them or me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't use it, I've never even been to the site. I'm in the minority and get sick of people assuming I have one then the inevitable....you don't?? Then..how am I suppose to communicate with you?? Fucking email or IM, text or, if you must, call me.

I don't like facebook.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepidation View Post
    I think it's useful, but it's generally too public and I don't trust Facebook to keep my private information truly private. The public side where I'm 'friends' with everybody I know is good for organising events or keeping in touch with people that I talk to often, but there's also all the people who like to clog up your news feed with how fucking bored they are and begging for people to talk to them, which I don't really care to read about. Plus all the 'pages' that people 'like' and updates from the games everybody plays... I used to do that too, but I've since realised how pointless it is. I've heard that you can filter them out, but I don't want to miss things and it seems like a lot of work for something I don't use often enough.
    Filtering out games takes about 5 seconds. Whenever you get an application in your news feed hover your mouse over the update and press the x on the right hand corner. Then it will give you the option of blocking the person or just the game from your news feed.

The pages can be a real problem if you have teenage girls as friends and there's no way of hiding them unless you hide the rest of the person's updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    ESFJ

I got 2 friend requests today and accepted them .. Why i am not sure .. I rarely go on to the site anymore. I never post a status and although i have acquaintances abroad as friends on there they also have my email address so are able to get hold of me if needs be.

Actually on that note .. I think it's time to get rid of it ..
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe