User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think you're assuming a lot about what people want regarding security.

As a college teacher, all I want is for my students to not be able to find me on FB--with the highest security setting, they cannot.
    That sounds like a challenge.
    BTW, timely XKCD on this subject xkcd: Password Reuse
    LOL. awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    Do you think it is really facebook that is doing this, or is it just that people are doing it and using facebook as their tool? How much credit/blame do you put on facebook itself and how much on people just being shallow and trivial, regardless of what it is connecting them to each other?
    I don't really care about blame. I care about vulnerability. Wherever there is vulnerability, someone malevolent will exploit it. Internet / Human Nature 101.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I don't really care about blame. I care about vulnerability. Wherever there is vulnerability, someone malevolent will exploit it. Internet / Human Nature 101.
    I was talking more about the change it is causing on our culture... is that what you are talking about by exploitation of vulnerabilities? I think we are talking about 2 different things.

EDIT: Oh, I reread your post and picked up the part about exploitation of the vulnerable by the corrupt. I don't really see it that way but now I get what you are saying. I first was lumping it in with your first comment about it being insecure.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I was talking more about the change it is causing on our culture... is that what you are talking about by exploitation of vulnerabilities? I think we are talking about 2 different things.
    Ah ok. I was attacking it on a couple of levels, I can see why that might be confusing.

I was talking about security "exploits".

Cultural change...yeah, dunno. Maybe it's just revealing the (depressing;y shallow) nature of the beast? What do you think? Can technology change people, or is it just an enabler?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Ah ok. I was attacking it on a couple of levels, I can see why that might be confusing.

I was talking about security "exploits".

Cultural change...yeah, dunno. Maybe it's just revealing the (depressing shallow) nature of the beast? What do you think? Can technology change people, or is it just an enabler?
    I think it is at the core, just an enabler, but when you have an efficient enough enabler it can allow people as a whole to bring about a change quickly. Everything has changed socially quite a bit in 5 years time now.

People are really the ones doing it but they can't do it without the efficient tools like facebook, etc. I don't think we as a society have really settled in on how we are going to interact with each other on a long term basis yet with respect to the freely available flow of information. Some of this is just still the honeymoon period of social networking, I think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

When I heard that 'Bed Intruder' song, I had 2 thoughts...

1 - This is an awesome, hilarious example of the kind of things we can do with mass communication and digital media now that we couldn't have done until very recently.
    2 - This is a sad, pitiful commentary on the state of the music industry right now considering that this is basically how songs are created now and this one is actually one of the top selling songs on iTunes. It says a lot about the rest of the industry.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

How was that related to facebook? I can't remember, but I definitely posted it here on purpose.