123 Last

Thread: Sept. 11, 2001

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Default Sept. 11, 2001

for my brothers

I am sure this has been done before but, do you remember what you were doing, where you were at? who you were with?
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

slow american, its 12th day already!

edit.
    and who cares, more people have died all over the world because of much more horrible things..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I was in 5th grade, they sent us home early, and I shit my pants later that night because army planes were flying 5 ft above the house and shaking it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Srsly.. Not funny INTP.

Anyways. It's the 9th anniversary, our company had a moment of silence that I enjoyed.

I was in high school, freshman year, in art class drawing a particularly boring project, so it didn't take much for me to get distracted. The comms came on overhead, and announced jibberish that I couldn't understand. By our last period, there were TVs in all of the classes wheeled in and we were watching it in Government class on the news, which is the first time I got official word on what was going on.

It was really surreal for me back then, so I went home and did business as usual--usually what I do when something crazy happens until I can wrap my head around it. I had a prayer that evening for the people caught up in it, and now 9 years later I've been overseas once to do my part.

Over 27,000 people died.. that's a lot of people.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    EPIC

I was a senior in high school (grade 12) and saw it on the TV at school. My response was "meh" but I was curious about what happened. My subsequent response each year it comes up is very similar to INTP's. Sucks that it had to happen here, though.

It sure sparked a military reaction, though. People don't like that we started a war with Iraq over false reasons, but I believe it was better to divert the attention of the Taliban to the already-war-torn middle east that was right next to them and have them attack trained, volunteering soldiers, than have them attack vulnerable US citizens here in our home country.
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

Music listening habits

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was in 5th grade. No one told me about it until my dad picked me up from school.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

How about not measuring grief by numbers? Grief is an emotion, not a substance. We can acknowledge that all those deaths are sad, right? (Or whatever it is you think about death.)

Grief by numbers is a competition no one wants to win, because they still lose.

Similarly, I was in 9th grade, my first year of high school (14 years old), and we were channel-surfing the TV in our Music class because there was nothing to do. Really lax class. We saw something that looked like a scene from a political-action-drama movie, but found out rather quickly from the school officials through word of mouth that it was real news, live footage. I didn't really understand much about politics and society at that age, or even have much awareness of it yet.

The interesting discussion that I remember having, though, with an older classmate sitting next to me (he was 17) was the Patriotism Discussion: He said, "It makes you think. Aren't you proud to be an American?" My mind went through the little dissection of what "proud" means, and how I'd need to accomplish something and invest effort into something in order to be proud of it. Being born here didn't take much effort on my part. But I knew what he was getting at, and responded truthfully, "I've never really felt proud about it, but I sure am grateful and thankful to be an American," using those words instead.

In the years since then, I've learned tons more about U.S. political history and have a much deeper appreciation for this country. I'm still hesitant to call it "pride," though...
    Last edited by Cimarron; 09-11-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: my experience
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I was in the army, I had just come back to the barracks and I thought everyone was watching some disaster movie.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

I was sitting in my AP chem class, senior year of high school. I remember seeing the incredulous look of this guy I hated when I turned around from my seat to listen to the announcement when it came over the intercom.

Personally, I don't really feel any attachment to any nation I've lived in. Strong national identity is not my thing, so this event only affected me to the extent that it affected others. Though I think INTP was a bit insensitive with his remark, I'm inclined to agree that in the grand scheme of terrible world events, 9/11 is one of many that happen every day across the world. It's just that nobody in America hears about it or wants to hear about it.

The significance of this event for me is in how it affected the way America sees itself and how America has now become aware of its own vulnerability. This first strike against that bubble of security is devastating, that goes without saying. But I hope that in the long term, Americans now have a serious reason to want to understand themselves and their place in the world.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Personally, I don't really feel any attachment to any nation I've lived in. Strong national identity is not my thing, so this event only affected me to the extent that it affected others. Though I think INTP was a bit insensitive with his remark, I'm inclined to agree that in the grand scheme of terrible world events, 9/11 is one of many that happen every day across the world. It's just that nobody in America hears about it or wants to hear about it.

The significance of this event for me is in how it affected the way America sees itself and how America has now become aware of its own vulnerability. This first strike against that bubble of security is devastating, that goes without saying. But I hope that in the long term, Americans now have a serious reason to want to understand themselves and their place in the world.
    Agree with this post. That's how I feel.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)