User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sept. 11, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I was in 5th grade, they sent us home early, and I shit my pants later that night because army planes were flying 5 ft above the house and shaking it.
    It was broadcasted live in my fifth grade class and I remember my classmates and I thinking it was an action flick or something. We actually rooted for the planes to crash into the buildings.

Senior Member Array Idec Sdawkminn's Avatar

When I first saw the footage on the school TV, the first feeling I felt was curiosity. As I watched, I expected more from the scene. As it was, the plane seemed to move too slow, the crash wasn't as dramatic as I'd expected, and there was a lot more smoke and debris than explosion. I guess I watch too many movies. I lost interest quickly and went about my day, occasionally listening to other peoples' reactions to it, wondering why everyone was getting so upset. I didn't realize it was someone else attacking us. I thought it was just an accident.

Later when I found out it was an attack, I became more interested. Not out of worry, but because things were "getting interesting". When I learned most of the details and how the pilots actually went through pilot training and became certified and legit and everything, just to crash them into some buildings that, from what I could tell, didn't really cripple us at all, my thoughts on the whole matter could be summed up as "lame".

Fortunately for me, I live on the West coast and don't know anyone who was killed. I remember hearing about the first flights after the incident being really cheap and immediately having a desire to be on the first of those flights regardless of the prices. I guess it was to spite those scared to go on them since there is no more chance of a terrorist attack happening immediately after one than at any other point in the future. It also would have been a cool story to tell.

It's sad when innocent people die. However, I view the general American victimized shock and outrage of the event akin to a rich, sheltered boy getting a nasty cut for the first time making a huge stink about it to the coal miners around him. Certainly not to say that Americans are rich or sheltered or have never worked, but the metaphor pertains to our history of being attacked in our homeland.
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

Music listening habits

I was a sophomore in the university waiting to be kicked out of the university, severely depressed, at home, watching the news and the footages over and over and over again all day long, and whatever occurred afterwards the following weeks and months.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I remembered being tortured by my awareness that as the day went on I actually wanted more attacks to happen. My life was boring and fake while this was REAL and exciting if horrific at the same time. I never realized how detached from reality I was until 9/11.
    Yes, I had similar feelings during the few days following the attacks. Everything felt like a dream before the attacks, then a sudden jolt back to reality. But then everything felt like an unbelieveable dream afterwards again, for months. Time didn't exist for me back then. But it reminded me of how insignificant I really was in the grand scheme of things.

I was in 6th grade when the attacks occurred. I woke up early in the morning to see my parents watching CNN; and I thought the video feed was a work of fiction until my parents told me otherwise. I was astonished, unable to clearly think about it in the rush to get to school. Once I was there, I realized that not everyone had received the news, which made me uneasy. People there lived on the west coast, which reduced their chances of having loved ones involved with the attacks. Even so, I decided to not mention it to anyone because I knew I could potentially ruin someone's day at an inopportune time.

Luckily, I didn't have any direct family involved with the incident, though you could say every U.S. citizen was involved. The Trade Centers falling impacted most people financially, as the entire economy was in flux. To compound the losses, our TV stations replayed the same footage ad nauseum, plunging many people in depression and even paranoia.

If you've ever had a loved one die, you know the momentary unrest that naturally follows in the family. Imagine that happening for an entire nation. Then, where tenuous bickerings once placed us apart, we came to sing the same eulogy of patriotism.

ps, if anyone actually thinks that the worth of a human life should be evaluated based on how much they produce or consume, then you're lost, pal.

I remember I was in my office a few minutes and a student walked by and mentioned something about a plane crashing into a building. I quickly checked the news online and saw that it was true, but assumed it must have been an accident. Then I went and taught my morning class. When I came back I found out about the second plane and the Pentagon and realized it wasn't an accident.

I kept checking campus email until I saw the eventual announcement to cancel classes. Then I stayed at the university for several more hours just so I could walk into each of my classes just to tell the students that class had been canceled. I also called my pastor and suggested we do a prayer service that evening.

After my last "class" I left campus and went to my church. Over the next several hours church members slowly accumulated just so we could process the events together. Then (at 7 I think) we had the prayer service and afterward people stayed around for a bit just to process the events more.

That's kind of what I remember. Overall I didn't really feel grief or fear or anything like that. (Mostly surprise if anything.) My thoughts were mainly on responding to how others were feeling to keep people calm or reassured.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

I'm genuinely surprised by some of the blase responses. Don't really know what to say.

I had lived in New York City for a few years, and had left and been back down south less than a year. I had temped the whole time I was in New York, and had been sent to work in the World Trade Center several times. I still had friends working for those agencies, and had worked in the offices of Morgan Stanley and another financial company whose name I can't remember, but were located on the floors the first plane flew into. There was a strong sense of "that could so easily have been me," coupled with, "I hope my friends are all okay," and "I probably worked with lots of those people." It was such a strange, sad, feeling.

At first, when I heard about the first plane hitting the towers, I assumed it was some sort of accident--I couldn't even imagine that someone flew a plane into the tower on purpose, to do harm. As the events unfolded, there was so much confusion. Why was this happening? I watched on television and prayed for the people in the towers and at the Pentagon, hoping and believing that most would be saved. When the towers collapsed, I genuinely couldn't believe what I was seeing. The World Trade Center no longer existed as a part of the New York City skyline, and thousands of people were dead. No hope of getting out. I verified that all of my friends were safe, but I worried about them riding the subway; I worried about them working in other New York buildings. Everything changed for us as Americans at that point. We didn't have any answers, and didn't know whether there would be more attacks. I think maybe if you were a kid when it happened, you don't understand that there was a marked difference pre-and post-9/11. A lot of innocence was lost that day. Sure, there have been no major terrorist attacks since then on American soil, but we didn't know that then.
    Something Witty

Actually there was a previous attack on the WTC in 1993.

3w2 so

My comiseration with the victims of 9/11. I was driving to my ex girlfriend back then when the radio reported about a fire in the WTC. I saw it then an hour later on television but needed another hour to really understand what was happening..
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Lungs & Lips Locked Array Unkindloving's Avatar

I was in 7th or 8th grade. We had tvs in the corners of our classrooms and, as far as I remember, they tuned into the news on some of them. I really didn't care then, shortly after then, and I don't care now.
    I feel the same about every world tragedy where lives are lost. If I don't know them, I don't find it in my heart to get all choked up about it or dedicate a day to it. It's fine if others do, but people let it take over their lives a lot of the time.

I look at this specific event in the way of "Yes, it was a tragedy, but what did we do with it?" I see little to no positives. I also look at it in the way of not knowing anyone who died during the event. I'm not going to put forth my emotions every year toward something I have no direct relation to. It sounds abrasive, but it can be applied to a great many things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    NFs are just as heartless as anyone else.
    Damn straight.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

I was a senior in high school and my sis was a junior... we had the morning off of school because everyone who had passed their Gateway exams Sophomore year were free for the mornings of the Monday and Tuesday. I'd gotten up and was putting on makeup and trying to do something with my hair and was listening to the morning show on the radio and they interrupted the song to announce that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. My first thought was "bullshit... this is just another stupid morning show joke- nobody would be that stupid!" :rolli:

A few minutes later my crazy aunt (advanced stages of Pick's Disease... though nobody knew at the time) called to announce that someone had flown into the World Trade Center.. I assumed that she'd had problems figuring out her stereo again and had listened to the same morning show as I was inadvertently and had beleived the joke... when my sister's friend called and told us to turn on the TV we finally went downstairs to my parents bedroom and sat on their bed watching the news.... it didn't really feel REAL- it didn't make sense- things like that don't happen

We eventually went into school, where I worked in the Guidance Office and heard the teachers dropping in and gossipping... I collected attendence from the different classrooms and the hallways were dead silent except for the sounds of the TVs... it wasn't real. A friend of mine ran to the pay phone every break between classes and tried to call her father, who worked in the section of the Pentagon that had been hit- it turns out that his life was saved by his ex-wife who had dragged him to divorce court that morning

I guess the only thing that sunk in finally and made it seem real was the same thing that gets me with every disaster around the world... pictures of people, people's stories- something that made it more personal and REAL... people are real, people in pain always tend to disturb me, no matter where they are in the world. It really kind of disturbs me that anyone would be so cold as to not care in a way... it's like looking at any other tragedy and shrugging- it's an asshole move
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett