User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Sept. 11, 2001

I was in my sophomore year of college and had left my 8 am intro to philosophy class. When I arrived at my dorm someone was already watching it on a PC monitor rigged up with a TV antenna. I watched the second plane hit live.

I remembered being tortured by my awareness that as the day went on I actually wanted more attacks to happen. My life was boring and fake while this was REAL and exciting if horrific at the same time. I never realized how detached from reality I was until 9/11.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

ReflecTcelfeR

I have no emotional connection to this event (I was in fifth grade). I wasn't really old enough to understand, or care. I don't even remember feeling sad, or bad that it had happened. It happened and that's all I can really say. You move on and rebuild. No one wants it to happen, but a continuous mourning doesn't fit well with my mentality about anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Sept. 11th was not a numbers game. Just under 3,000 dead is not a whole lot of people, no matter which way you slice it. It's not a body count, it's a bit count. The sheer amount of traumatizing footage, the speed at which it could be disseminated, how long it would take before it would stop repeating... It went on and on and on and on.

The most significant part of the Vietnam War was the footage. How would 9/11 be any different?
    I'm unsure how many repeating images I've seen on that day. From both towers, the plane crashing into them, people who had love ones in the tower showing pictures of their loves ones and hoping that they are safe. The South Tower falling first before the North Tower. People on the top of the WTC, but there was no way of being able to save them by helicopters. The smoke and debris of it all. The endless hours of firefighters going through the rubble and finding the first survivor of them all... It just kept going and going.

For one thing, what happens in ones lifetime is generally stronger than one that didn't. It's a personal story that can be recollected by your own memory of the events that have happened.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    I'm curious about the time that you woke up (since you were in California that time.) When I woke up, nothing about the Pentagon was talked about just yet. I think the time that I woke up was when the second tower was already burning... 6:00-6:30AM I think I may have woke up right when the second plane crashed into the other WTC. All I can remember is that no footage of the second tower being hit by the second plane was shown just yet. But when the time came... the media just kept showing the second tower.

EDIT:Typos.
    Ack, my bad, I meant the first tower not the Pentagon
    I woke up to the sound of my radio going off around 10 minutes to 6. I think at that time, the first plane had just crashed. We turned on the TV and we watched a couple minutes of ABC news and as we were listening to the reports the second plane crashed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I specifically remember this day like no other. I was in the 5th grade and was already in class doing my school work. One of the boys came into class late and was going on about how some building blew up. I remember seeing the look on my teachers face as she scrambled for the remote to turn the tv on. There it was, the live footage of EVERYTHING! I remember being very scared and wondering if someone was out there to kill everyone in our country. I didn't really understand at all, but the images were just so frightening to me as a 5th grader that it really affected me.

As soon as my siblings and I got home, my mother sat us all down and let us know that our country was under attack by terrorists. I didn't understand, didn't know what these buildings were or the importance, I was just afraid. It took me quite a long time to fully grasp it at all.

Today, after nine years, it finally hit me after watching on the history channel (i believe) about the whole 9/11 incident, that this was an even bigger deal that I remembered. A lot of the fears came back to me while I was watching all the footage, like I was watching it as if it were happening again. I'm a bit embarrassed to say, but I just began bawling and crying for those people and to those who had to watch in horror. My heart felt like it had been stepped on and I couldn't do anything about it.
    I feel a bit over dramatic, I mean it's been nine years... but it still doesn't change what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    Ack, my bad, I meant the first tower not the Pentagon
    I woke up to the sound of my radio going off around 10 minutes to 6. I think at that time, the first plane had just crashed. We turned on the TV and we watched a couple minutes of ABC news and as we were listening to the reports the second plane crashed.
    Yeah, from my memory(which is sort of bad during that early morning,) I woke up to watching the news about the first tower, but not so long after, the news began talking about the second tower.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    Yeah, from my memory(which is sort of bad during that early morning,) I woke up to watching the news about the first tower, but not so long after, the news began talking about the second tower.
    Yeah; i also think that not all the news stations were at an angle where they could not see the second plane. Wikipedia says there were some that first reported it as an explosion before realizing what it was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Personally, I don't really feel any attachment to any nation I've lived in. Strong national identity is not my thing, so this event only affected me to the extent that it affected others. Though I think INTP was a bit insensitive with his remark, I'm inclined to agree that in the grand scheme of terrible world events, 9/11 is one of many that happen every day across the world. It's just that nobody in America hears about it or wants to hear about it.

The significance of this event for me is in how it affected the way America sees itself and how America has now become aware of its own vulnerability. This first strike against that bubble of security is devastating, that goes without saying. But I hope that in the long term, Americans now have a serious reason to want to understand themselves and their place in the world.
    This is pretty reflective of how I feel. I think any loss of human life is sad, and no person is more valuable than another simply because of nationality. Tragedies like this sadden me in general, no matter the country.

However, I don't feel any personal connection to 9/11. I'm only less detached than I would be from an event like this in another nation because I witnessed more commotion about it. It doesn't stir an emotional reaction in me though.

It was a big deal in the US, so I do remember where I was (is this the new "where were you when JFK was shot?" for people who weren't alive when JFK was shot?). I was in school, senior year, and people were almost "excited", but not in a happy way. In more of a "what's going to happen?" way. We were not let out of school early, and teachers were instructed to carry on with their regular lesson plans. I think that was stupid - why not open discussion? But school admins like to crack down on anything out of the ordinary as some sort of threat to order.

Being in CA, there was a level of detachment because no one knew people who worked at the WTC - the main issue was the new sense of vulnerability as a nation. People on the east coast seem a lot more affected by 9/11 in a personal way, and I understand why some would still be emotional about it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I was in school, senior year, and people were almost "excited", but not in a happy way. In more of a "what's going to happen?" way. We were not let out of school early, and teachers were instructed to carry on with their regular lesson plans. I think that was stupid - why not open discussion? But school admins like to crack down on anything out of the ordinary as some sort of threat to order.
    Our school handled it the same way, actually. It was to be expected considering how incompetent and corrupt our school administration was. Some of my teachers ignored the principal, refused to teach, and had a discussion of what happened anyway.

I wonder how many other schools did the same thing?

MBTI
    ENFJ

My great grandmother died on 9/11/2001. She was in Florida. Her body needed to be driven back to Michigan in an ice box in the back of a car because all the planes were grounded so she could be buried next to her husband.

It was very surreal, experiencing my first national and personal tragedy at the same time. I was 7 at the time. I was numb for months.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge