User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 31

  1. #21
    Senior Member Wild horses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    I agree this place beats facebook hands down.. I hate facebook cos I find it so boring
    ... couldn't drag me away

    Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Well, "social networking site" is mostly code for facebook, myspace and the like. Since myspace is all but dead, I'll focus on facebook. With facebook, the focus is on keeping in contact with people you know, and sharing details about your day-to-day life. Sure, there are time wasters and what-not, but the main point is that you're networking or keeping in contact with individuals that you mostly already know, and talking about things that happen in your life that you don't mind discussing with half the world. The facebook profile is your (very) public face.

    Here, we get to know each other anonymously, and discuss things that are going on in our lives that we want to explore (and sometimes are too personal to discuss in front of everyone you know), theories, and ideas. You don't get much of that on facebook. It's not set up for discussing serious ideas.

    I see a huge difference in the purposes of those sorts of sites. Now, sure, you can make a case that many folks here are just here to socialize and to make friends or find a romantic interest. There's definitely a lot of that. But I don't think that makes this forum a "social networking site." The primary purpose may partly be social, in that you need other people to discuss ideas, but I'd say the majority of posters here are not here to network, and prefer to remain hidden behind a username, letting their thoughts speak for them.
    So it's a question of format semantics?

    No matter how I look at things it all distills down to: We are socializing, We are networking, we are sharing details of our personal lives.

    The only difference is that this social network site is built around a specific theme, where something like Facebook is more general.

    Of course this is JMO

  3. #23
    Senior Member LeafAndSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    My biggest strength is my ability to write from my centre. [. . .] writing from my centre is so enlivening and so surprising that it outweighs the loss of understanding.

    I think writing from my centre is so enlivening because it takes moral courage in the face of the lack of understanding.

    And moral courage is so deeply refreshing it is worth all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

    I would like to meet others who can write from their centre so I joined a poetry site called, "Elite Skills", but interestingly there was less feedback or conversation than there is here.

    Also it has become interesting for me to discover why most don't write from their centre. What do they do instead? How do they rationalise it to themselves? And what emotions drive them?

    So I am interested in those who can speak from their centre and those who speak from off centre. And we are blessed with both here.
    I had wondered why you don't seem to make much effort to be understandable, and this explains it.

    Speaking of which, are you willing to elaborate on what "writing from one's centre" means to you? I'm a writer by avocation, moving toward being a writer by vocation, and the distinction you make about "those who can speak from their centre and those who speak from off centre" interests me.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Idec Sdawkminn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    EPIC
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I prefer this over Facebook, but all my friends and family are on Facebook. I don't go on it much, but I prefer it over the phone, which would be the alternative.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    ...the distinction you make about "those who can speak from their centre and those who speak from off centre" interests me.
    Same here.
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

    Music listening habits

  5. #25
    Senior Member ubee0173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Socionics
    iei
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    So it's a question of format semantics?

    No matter how I look at things it all distills down to: We are socializing, We are networking, we are sharing details of our personal lives.

    The only difference is that this social network site is built around a specific theme, where something like Facebook is more general.

    Of course this is JMO
    with facebook there is chat and farmville and a bunch of other stupid shit. people asking you to 'like' what they like, please be friends with so&so... and i know most of them irl so i kinda feel obligated. you cant just say to your best friend's mom 'fuck your farmville! NO I WILL NOT FRIEND YOUR DOG ON "DOG BOOK, asshole!"' not that i would do something like that here, i just wouldnt feel obligated to be nice if someone pissed me off, and if someone asked me to do something i dont want to, i can just not respond, and still not come off as a giant douche. and if i do, then oh well- it wont affect my daily life at all except for a 2-minute 'why do they not like me' pity-party. or maybe im just crazy and prefer the company of new and exciting strangers to people i have known half my life- its open to interpretation.
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #26
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Smile A Sigh from the Centre of the Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    I had wondered why you don't seem to make much effort to be understandable, and this explains it.

    Speaking of which, are you willing to elaborate on what "writing from one's centre" means to you? I'm a writer by avocation, moving toward being a writer by vocation, and the distinction you make about "those who can speak from their centre and those who speak from off centre" interests me.
    If I didn't write from my centre, I wouldn't last here. If I came here looking for empathy and understanding, I would be disappointed.

    This site does though offer tolerance and order, in other words it offers a modicum of freedom. And freedom is all I need to write from my centre.

    And writing from my centre is deeply satisfying. So writing from my centre is self motivating - I don't need the empathy, understanding or praise of others, although it is nice to get it. Writing from my centre is reward in itself.

    And of course I am always hoping to reach the centre of others. And I know when I have reached their centre, for their reply is involuntary. When they step outside the taken for granted, when they step outside of control for a moment, and breathe.

    When we breathe together, when we conspire to together, centre to centre, breath to breath, until the whole world breathes a sigh of relief.

    A sigh from the centre of the Earth.

  7. #27
    Senior Member LeafAndSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If I didn't write from my centre, I wouldn't last here. If I came here looking for empathy and understanding, I would be disappointed.

    This site does though offer tolerance and order, in other words it offers a modicum of freedom. And freedom is all I need to write from my centre.

    And writing from my centre is deeply satisfying. So writing from my centre is self motivating - I don't need the empathy, understanding or praise of others, although it is nice to get it. Writing from my centre is reward in itself.

    And of course I am always hoping to reach the centre of others. And I know when I have reached their centre, for their reply is involuntary. When they step outside the taken for granted, when they step outside of control for a moment, and breathe.

    When we breathe together, when we conspire to together, centre to centre, breath to breath, until the whole world breathes a sigh of relief.

    A sigh from the centre.

    Thank you for elaborating.

  8. #28
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    FARMVILLE REQUEST



    Oh, no! This poor eNFJ has wandered onto my blog. She's cold and hungry and needs a cup of warm milk and a willing ISFJ to cater to her every whim.

    Will you adopt her?

  9. #29
    Senior Member ubee0173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Socionics
    iei
    Posts
    113

    Default

    that.. is.. amazing!
    and yes, but my cows will eat her, for they are surley starving by this point.
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #30
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    I think that, given a moment to catch her breath, Domino would whip those cows into line PDQ.

Similar Threads

  1. The Social Network
    By Mondo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 10-09-2017, 01:21 AM
  2. What does your 'social network' tell you?
    By Asterion in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 06:18 AM
  4. Social Networking Sells
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
  5. Tired of those same old social networks?
    By Ivy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO