User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Bedbugs

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Bedbugs

I was just listening to a radio show talking about the increasing rise of bedbugs all over N.America in hotels, movie theatres and taxi cabs. They are apparently extremely resilient too and hard to get rid of. It used to be at universities that on moving day everyone just put the furniture they no longer needed or wanted out on the curb and whoever needed/wanted it could take it away. Now, I don't think I would do that.

Do you have any experiences with them? What do you think about reintroducing the use of DEET? Do places like Europe and Australia have this problem too? I don't remember hearing anything about bedbugs until about 3 years ago when a Winnipeg hotel that I had stayed at was said in the newspaper to have had a big outbreak.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My friend picked them up from an apartment building she was living in. The bugs traveled to their next home in the furniture and they ended up having to get rid of most of their stuff because the the cost of the exterminator was more than they could afford. They get into the walls also, I guess.

Her whole family had bites all over them. It was horrible. I hope they find something to kill them that isn't super toxic or expensive because it's probably only going to get worse.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I was just listening to a radio show talking about the increasing rise of bedbugs all over N.America in hotels, movie theatres and taxi cabs. They are apparently extremely resilient too and hard to get rid of. It used to be at universities that on moving day everyone just put the furniture they no longer needed or wanted out on the curb and whoever needed/wanted it could take it away. Now, I don't think I would do that.

Do you have any experiences with them? What do you think about reintroducing the use of DEET? Do places like Europe and Australia have this problem too? I don't remember hearing anything about bedbugs until about 3 years ago when a Winnipeg hotel that I had stayed at was said in the newspaper to have had a big outbreak.
    Are you serious?

Are we talking about roaches, or an entirely different species of insect? :horor:
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

No, bedbugs. They are a very small bug that hides easily almost anywhere, can survive for at least three years even in sealed plastic bags and is almost impossible to eradicate. When you do attempt to eradicate them, very toxic chemicals are required to do the job and even then if two survive somewhere, you're back to square one.

They used to be kept under control with chemicals but since about the wartime, that has been outlawed. The same chemical also helped keep malaria under control. Some NYC taxi cabs have whole kits they carry with them to try to deal with them when they get onto seats, in the trunk etc.

This lady was saying that you should rethink putting your bag or coat on the empty seat next to you at the movies, and that if you have luggage, you should carefully inspect the outside before taking it into your house, and unpack out on the doorstep and put everything possible into a hot dryer to reduce the chances of getting them. One of my friends in Manitoba experienced an outbreak of them and said it was one of the most horrific experiences he's ever had to deal with. And yes, they do bite at night.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Are you serious?

Are we talking about roaches, or an entirely different species of insect? :horor:
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

yup chicago's the number 5 most infested city. I personally never dealt with bed bugs but my room mate had to in the dorm they ended up refunding her money and she got an apartment off campus. also we don't buy upholstered stuff from thrift stores we tend to buy furniture new or take it from people we know, who we know don't have bed bugs

MBTI
    ISFJ

Caffeine is the bedbug eradicator.

Phantonym

Do you have any experiences with them?
    Gah, don't remind me. I had to spend a night at a hotel in my city a few years back. The hotel looked fine, clean and everything. The truth is always revealed at night, I had nasty bites all over. I guess I have tasty blood, I always have trouble with the bloodsuckers of all kind. Fortunately they didn't travel with me. *shudders*

I've heard of them but never encountered them, certainly not in a hotel, I usually stay at a Travel Lodge or Travel Inn if there's not any hotels on a better standard at as good a rate to stay at around and they're always very clean.

These arent the same as dust mites? No I dont think so, dust mites just case hay fever they dont bite like the pic indicates.

We had large-ish spiders at work and they will bite and leave a nasty mark, bite you in bed if you're not careful too but much, much bigger than those things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I have a near pathological fear of bedbugs, I have to admit. The fact that they are so difficult to get rid of is frightening, and the thought of having to treat every nook and cranny in one's place multiple times is daunting. The good news is that they don't appear to spread disease (unlike mosquitoes, for example). So while they are disgusting they don't directly pose a health threat.

I've never heard of bedbugs living for years without feeding. The estimates I've heard for bedbugs surviving without food is up to 3 months for immature bedbugs and up to 1 year for an adult that has fed. Another relatively bright spot is that more recently collected U.S. bedbugs seem to survive a shorter period of time without food, perhaps a side-effect of being selected for pesticide resistance.

Finally, I think you meant DDT, not DEET (DEET is a mosquito repellent). I'd be fine with limited application of DDT to fight bedbugs, but modern bed bugs might already be resistant to DDT (see this article). So we might have to explore other pesticides to fight the beasties.

Looks like over the next few decades bedbugs are going to become an increasing problem in the US. I'd recommend checking under the mattress and the bottom of the headboard for signs of bedbugs when traveling.