User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Bedbugs

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

We are dealing with them right now and it really, really, really sucks. Just had our second extermination a few days ago, we'll see if it worked when I work up the courage to sleep in my room again (I'm the only one in the house who reacts badly to the bites, I get out-of-this-world itching and nice swelling too). I'm sleeping in the basement for now which has an unrelated severe mold problem which is not the healthiest either but better than getting bitten.

My first experience with them ever and it's pretty hellish so far (the last few months). The bites are insane, they look like mosquito bites on crack for me, that pic posted looks mild to me -I get 1-1.5" very swollen red circles, that's without scratching which spreads the welts further, they itch badly for about 4 days and I can't sleep, and still itch for about 2 weeks less and less, and seems to heal very slowly (not sure yet if they'll scar). And I find it hard to sleep when my skin is crawling (psychologically). My skin crawls all day too, it's so gross to think of them lurking around waiting to bite! Most bugs don't bother me, but bedbugs and roaches give me the creeps.

My city has a bad problem with them now (for the past few years apparently, but getting worse). Apparently most of the apartment buildings in the city have had problems with them in the last few years. We're a detached home but there are 7 of us and LOTS of visitors, many sleeping over, so it's not surprising that we picked them up. We've been pretty careless with used furniture, sad to say, and we have a lot of turnover with new roommates and lots of visitors and parties. It's almost surprising we didn't get them sooner, we're like a mini-apartment.

It's very discouraging because it seems like we'll never get rid of them, and we are all students and it's very financially taxing - both the extermination which was about $1400, replacing things that had to be thrown out, and misc. preparation. Our landlord is a douche and won't pay for it.

If you never want to see how horrible the experience is, be careful with used furniture (even wood) and freeze your luggage bag for several days after travelling and wash the clothes in hot water. Apparently the #1 place to get them is hotels (several of us have been recently, including a Europe trip and Toronto which is #3 worst infested city in NA apparently) where they crawl into your luggage.
    -end of thread-

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

Do not just rely on what the exterminators do, but fight them yourself as well. To answer Mnestic's question, besides befriending them, I also bought about 5 bugsprays (specifically good for bedbugs, and sold in Canadian Tire only) and did lots of spraying myself. Why? Because we had them the year before that and the exterminator's work was obviously not good enough. XD So we sprayed everywhere especially at dusk, even weeks after the "official" extermination, and we also bought mattress covers to keep the fuckers out after spraying said mattresses were sprayed several times with days in between. If there's any bedbugs in my mattress right now, they are trapped in there forever and can never come out, lol. Also, do everything you can to keep yourself sane, because the worst thing that bedbugs can actually do is make you paranoid and jumpy when you go to sleep, so you musn't let them affect you psychologically like that. Like I said in my previous post, they got to my brother so bad that he couldn't take it anymore and moved to a new apartment in an act of desperation and such.
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    Also, do everything you can to keep yourself sane, because the worst thing that bedbugs can actually do is make you paranoid and jumpy when you go to sleep, so you musn't let them affect you psychologically like that. Like I said in my previous post, they got to my brother so bad that he couldn't take it anymore and moved to a new apartment in an act of desperation and such.
    I concur-- the wost part is the mental trauma. Not only do I feel ugly from the bites/scars, but I keep imagining things crawling on me when I'm trying to sleep. My former roommate (moved out for another reason, not bedbugs) couldn't sleep here at all because she was so anxious about being bitten, so she slept over at friends' houses instead.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    ----

sounds horrifying. all best to those fighting the ugly bastards

can we burn this thread? i feel itchy.

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    sounds horrifying. all best to those fighting the ugly bastards

can we burn this thread? i feel itchy.
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I had never heard of these before :horor:

I wish I never clicked this thread
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    and I actually like bugs so I was like "FRIENDS! I UNDERSTAND THAT MY BLOOD IS DELICIOUS, BUT I NEED TO SLEEP U GUYS!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm a bedbug.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yuck, yes, bedbugs are disgusting. I think I had them in one apartment I lived in in college, but luckily they didn't follow me when I moved!! A friend of mine who lives in NYC recently had them infest her apartment, and she literally had to spend a couple thousand dollars to get rid of them. She had to put all her stuff in plastic bags and then the exterminators came and sprayed,but she had to leave everything in bags for weeks - like she'd have to take her clothes out of a plastic bag in the morning; the book she was reading had to stay in a plastic bag when she wasn't reading it, etc. The sucky thing about apartment buildings is that even if you're clean and are careful not to bring bedbugs from hotels, etc, you can't do anything to control your neighbors, and if they get bedbugs, you'll likely get bedbugs. Ick ick ick ick!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

AAAACKK

I was listening to a report on this on NPR. OMFG. I'm paranoid to stay in hotels now.

A solution that some exterminators are using now is bringing in large heaters that heat your entire apartment or house. A temperature of 120F or so is supposed to kill them all. It's much more effective than spaying for them, but it's more expensive and not widely available.