User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Bedbugs

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Ugh, bedbugs. My partner used to live at his fraternity house where they were always taking in new couches/furniture, and eventually they got hit. We got bit the worst, a lot of the others who lived there didn't have so much as a bite on them.

They tried all kinds of remedies, but eventually had to suck it up and call the exterminator...they all have to be dead, otherwise they'll just multiply again. and this was about 8 months ago, apparently they just had to call the exterminator again last week so gross.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

I love bedbugs!

At my old apartment we had an infestation in the couches, the bedrooms, the carpet, lolo. They prefer to come out at night, but if you sleep during the day they will come out too if hungry enough. And regardless of where you sleep they will follow you! They like your blood. Luckily they don't go after your face, but your arms and legs (they think the blood there is yummiest).

Bedbugs can go up to 3-6 months without feeding, but after that they will die. They can resist cold up to -10 degrees, but here in Canada it usually goes lower than that, so if you live somewhere cold, take the infested mattress outside and the fuckers will die. Bedbugs can also hide in walls! And they tend to live in the edges of the mattress or couch rather than in the middle.

Interestingly, they aren't very good climbers, so if you put little cups filled with water or sticky goo on your bed's legs they will climb the little cup but fall in the water/goo and not make it to your mattress. If you got an infestation you need to do your best to get some sleep on the infested bed, because they WILL follow you if you try sleeping elsewhere (unless you sleep in a wooden chair, lolo!).

Unless you're allergic, your skin won't end up like that person's in the picture; they are harmless little buggers and your bites will disappear over time without leaving marks or scars. The biggest problem is that they can psychologically fuck you up. Last year when we got them my brother went insane because of them to the point where he found a new apartment and moved because he couldn't sleep and used his student loans to pay the rent and now he's in debt. XD

I'm not as psychologically affected, because I rationalized the whole thing and slept like a baby regardless of their presence (XD I am so not a paranoid person) and I actually like bugs so I was like "FRIENDS! I UNDERSTAND THAT MY BLOOD IS DELICIOUS, BUT I NEED TO SLEEP U GUYS!"

...yeah, I'm one cheerful mofo. XD Ever since I've always wanted an army of little bedbugs to control and command at will. I also want an army of tarantula-hawk wasps, and one of Amazon giant centipedes, and Colombian red-knee tarantulas.

Freakiness aside, this page has good chunk of infos on these little fuckers. :3

I succesfully befriended bedbugs, and in due time, they left my apartment and my mattress. I now live in my brother's new apartment with my old bed (which used to be infected) and no bedbugs since! To defeat the enemy, you must first understand it, and then you go for the kill. That's how I got rid of my arachnophobia - by reading and learning about them. And now I love them!

Oh, and if you got pets, be careful, because bedbugs will go after them too. Unless it's an iguana? Bedbugs love warm blood, like those of humans and cats, but I don't think they care for the blood of reptiles and frogs...
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    ENFP

I had bedbugs once. It was soooo annoying. I'm pretty sure this girl I was friends with brought it to my house because I'd always see red marks on her and I'd ask her what they were and she said nothing.. then out of nowhere, she moved to a different house, even though she had just moved into that house two months before. When I went to her new house, there was barely any furniture from the old house, and they didn't even bring their old beds with them.

I guess she was too embarrassed to tell me...

Then the landlord for my apartment got an exterminator. It was so annoying to have to put everything in bags. And it was pretty disconcerting to sleep on a bed that was sprayed with chemicals.. x_X
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

A client once got them from the hotel I booked for her. It wasn't my fault, and it's a 4 star hotel, but it still made me look bad. I sent her flowers but I'm not sure she could appreciate them while she was busy scratching her legs off.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do places like ... Australia have this problem too?
    I'm sure we have them, Australians being the travellers we are. I've never heard anecdotal evidence of them being here though. Headlice every once in a blue moon, but not bedbugs. Maybe our native creepy-crawlies eat them?

Oberon

Australia seems to have the top 97 most venemous animals in the world... you can't swing a dead cat in that country without hitting some kind of spider or wasp or octopus or bat or something whose bite or sting or claws can kill you in under ten seconds.

Australia probably has bedscorpions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, I realized today while I was at school that I had meant DDT, not DEET! My bad. Thanks Seymour.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I had a long response to this typed out, then had to restart due to modem failure and I lost it all.

If you want to know about bedbugs, I'm your woman! My apartment has been infested since April, though hopefully it's finally cleared up now. We've been exterminated three times, and I haven't been bitten in over a week, so that's a good sign. Since I believe knowledge is power, I have read up on bedbugs and now know way more than I'd like to about the little fuckers.

Bedbugs are not like roaches, except that they're both brown and have six legs. I think I would almost rather have roaches!

My arms and legs used to look like those in the picture-- with itchy welts, now scars. I have been bitten on my face a couple of times, on my chest a couple of times, but mostly on my arms and legs. I have been all self-conscious about wearing shorts and skirts this summer, which makes me sad-- we only get so much summer up here in the north country, and I want to wear my sundresses while I can! (I've been wearing them anyway and letting people assume I've been camping or whatever. )

I could say way more, but I don't feel like typing it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    I succesfully befriended bedbugs, and in due time, they left my apartment and my mattress.
    What did you do, besides befriending them? Simply "befriending" them sounds like an invitation for them to reproduce and spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I've never heard of bedbugs living for years without feeding. The estimates I've heard for bedbugs surviving without food is up to 3 months for immature bedbugs and up to 1 year for an adult that has fed.
    I read somewhere that it's possible for them to get into some sort of hibernation mode where they go up to 18 months without a meal. That's just not natural.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do places like Europe and Australia have this problem too?
    I can't speak for Europe (though I assume they're there too) but one of the most exhaustive bedbug-eradication guides is out of Australia, so they're there as well.
    Bed Bug Code of Practice
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP

I have actually woken up with a scorpion inches away from my face, but I was in a tent at the time. It was only a little one too.

MBTI
    ----

Australia seems to have the top 97 most venemous animals in the world... you can't swing a dead cat in that country without hitting some kind of spider or wasp or octopus or bat or something whose bite or sting or claws can kill you in under ten seconds.

yeah, we got big ones. a bed bug stole my baby.

seriously though, i've never encountered them in australia or heard of people having trouble with them here.