User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Hey, that's my line!
    I have a tendency to observe, assimilate and later regurgitate without any heed for intellectual property. Apologies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I have a tendency to observe, assimilate and later regurgitate without any heed for intellectual property. Apologies.
    "Intellectual property" is an oxymoron anyway.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    "Intellectual property" is an oxymoron anyway.
    Tell that to the Chinese.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Tell that to the Chinese.
    They seem already to be aware of this.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    They seem already to be aware of this.
    If it was an oxymoron, intellectual property wouldn't be valuable.

You wouldn't steal something without some sort of value.

Therefore regardless of Chinese respect for our IP laws, they fundamentally view IP as valuable confirming its status as real property.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Therefore regardless of Chinese respect for our IP laws, they fundamentally view IP as valuable confirming its status as real property.
    It's possible to recognize the value of an idea without recognize someone's "right" to the ownership of said idea. There's nothing in the history or culture of the Chinese that would make me say they were inclined to the former in any sense.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I appreciate many people on here. I could list all my friends, but that seems redundant; one could just look at someone's friend list. A few people I'm closer with than others.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Don't feel badly. This often happens with any threads showing appreciation and has nothing to do with you or the merit of the idea. I find it odd that the term "circle jerk" gets thrown at a thread like that almost immediately (I'm not referring to people in this thread - just as a general observation). As I've gotten older, I've started to notice what power there is in recognizing other people's efforts out loud and in front of others. I think back to the beginning of my time here and how much impact either a positive or negative comment had on me and on my courage to write what I thought.

The only thing that makes me feel awkward is that there are people whom I know feel left out when they aren't mentioned, but whom I don't know well enough to personalize something positive about them, especially since I've spent less time here.

Sometimes I wonder if the negative comments about threads like these stem more from a fear of not being recognized or mentioned (and therefore seeing it as some kind of popularity contest), rather than that it is really a terrible idea. I suppose there are those who feel awkward at being mentioned publicly, but my guess is that there are more people who appreciate it than not.

I've taken a break from starting threads as the last couple of times I have done so, it has blown up in my face in ways that I couldn't possibly have foreseen and certainly never intended. In retrospect, I think the issue wasn't so much that I did something terribly wrong, but that it is usual for some people to have negative comments on anything someone else does publicly, and also different people will see things differently than me and that's something that I need to deal with without feeling attacked, which I sometimes find hard to do. Therefore, I don't think the issue is whether or not you make threads like this, but how much extra emotional rope you have to deal with negativity when you do so.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

@The Ü™, I admire your wit, charm, creative genius, and underdog status, even though your racing skills on GTAO suck.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Many of us assign the greatest value to human life, but we don't buy and sell it, save for those vestiges of slavery remaining in the world. Value and exclusivity of ownership/control are hardly synonomous. Just consider the idea of land "ownership" held by many Native Americans.