User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Tell a forum member what you think about "Tell a forum member what you think about.."

This is a meta thread where we discuss the "Tell a forum member what you think of him/her. Sort of. And NICELY." thread.

I think this thread is fascinating and wonder how its changed the culture here and on INTPc. More paranoid? More hostile? Less hostile? More sexual? Do you think it's been a good thing or a bad thing (defined as you want)?

Personally, I think 115% of the posts are about me, and that I'm pissing half the forum off, while attracting the other half, both of which make me severely uncomfortable. I don't really know what kind of effect it's had, and it's obviously hard to measure. I think it's pumped drama into the forum (romantic, aggressive) that has ignited the forum in some ways, and distracted it in others. It's accelerated the formation and demise of social relationships.

Sometimes I like to fuck with people and post something just because I know people will wonder if it's about them or not. AND IT IS.

Phantonym

I think the thread is solely to blame for my paranoia. Yes, most definitely, without a doubt. Never even heard of paranoia before my innocent eyes first caught a glimpse of those two ominous words..."Dear Member...".

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Dear Forum Jesus(OP),

I think that thread is stupid and pointless for communication purposes, and leads to only paranoia, confusion as Sky says (even though Sky's joking, it has some truth) and possibly emotional pain to the gullible.

I mean think about it - if you really wanted the person which the message was intended for to see it, why not just write on their wall or send them a PM? Why the capacity for error? what's the purpose of making people go "OH MAW GAWD I WONDER WHO DATS FOR?! IS THAT FOR MEEEE?!". The only possible incentive one could have for that is to make others whom the message is NOT about think its about them. Extremely manipulative and hurtful to some, when you think about it.

The whole fucking thing is a popularity racket so people can go "look at how great I am to be posting my personal relationships in a public manner. Dont you wanna be my friend TOO?!".

Totally lame.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i almost never read that thread. i have only been into it a couple of times and it really annoyed me that it is anonymous. "dear member"......

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Personally, I think 115% of the posts are about me,
    haha, that is exactly what i thought when i read it! i read a ton of posts and thought, "wow how flattering! i don't even know these people!"

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Personally, I never read that thread. I've posted on it maybe twice to make a general statement to all members, but otherwise, I don't care.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I mean think about it - if you really wanted the person which the message was intended to read it, why not just write on their wall or send them a PM? what's the purpose of making people go "OH MAW GAWD I WONDER WHO DATS FOR?! IS THAT FOR MEEEE?!". The only possible incentive one could have for that is to make others whom the message is NOT about think its about them. Extremely manipulative and hurtful to some, when you think about it.
    Well, unless you were afraid of social rejection, which probably 90% of this forum is. It's a way to hint to people that you're interested. It's kind of the real-life equivalent of glancing at someone so they come talk to you.

The whole fucking thing is a popularity racket so people can go "look at how great I am to be posting my personal relationships in a public manner. Dont you wanna be my friend TOO?!".
    I agree that's a big motivator.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I think the thread is solely to blame for my paranoia.
    Certain serious medical conditions can also cause paranoia. You should check into those.

/evil

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Well, unless you were afraid of social rejection, which probably 90% of this forum is. It's a way to hint to people that you're interested. It's kind of the real-life equivalent of glancing at someone so they come talk to you.
    hrmmm, I had never considered that. I only see lack of clarity and possibility for great confusion when I look inside it, and i never really bothered to evaluate the social dynamics going on there (probably because I have difficulty seeing subtle social dynamics)

MBTI
    INFP

Dear member,

I assume none of them are about me, which makes things run smoother. Sometimes it's intentionally obvious who is talking to whom, but occasionally someone actually says something 'anonymous' which looks real, and what they say tells you a bit about who they are. So for that alone I think it's an ok thread. It's certainly never made me paranoid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I generally assume that none of it is about me. That leaves me free to speculate on the little intrigues within the forum which is kind of fun. Occasionally I leave messages which are specific enough that the members getting them know for sure they are intended for themselves. Mostly I do it because I know it feels good to get mail and even better to get public mail sometimes. Some of the time others know whom I'm referring to and sometimes they don't, although the recipient would.