User Tag List

First 123 Last

I know someone whose general state of emotion is happiness.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What kind of drugs are they on...and where can I get some?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    ESF?

Don't let the sadness consume you?

I mean, it is ok to be sad when the times call for it. If you don't want to be sad, train your mind to not be sad? It doesn't sound right from a psychologists perspective and people who talk about how a depressive person's chemicals aren't the same as a supposedly not as depressed person. But to me, when you think happy, you live happy. Even though this form of happy may or may not be delusional. When a sad thought starts to begin to get a hold of you, just clean up your mind and think of something else(or think of something happy/something you did well today.)

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm generally melancholic. I've pretty much always leaned that way.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    Most of the times I'm really happy and I'm rarely down. If I experience negative emtions, then it's usually anger of fear, never sadness.

Most of the time I'm horny
    Oh, its
    You

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    Don't let the sadness consume you?

I mean, it is ok to be sad when the times call for it. If you don't want to be sad, train your mind to not be sad? It doesn't sound right from a psychologists perspective and people who talk about how a depressive person's chemicals aren't the same as a supposedly not as depressed person. But to me, when you think happy, you live happy. Even though this form of happy may or may not be delusional. When a sad thought starts to begin to get a hold of you, just clean up your mind and think of something else(or think of something happy/something you did well today.)
    Oh, I wish it was that simple. So far I've only seen this kind of thinking to have a temporary effect, it can help to lift your mood for a while, but the thoughts don't go anywhere even though you might be distracting them at that moment. The pressure builds and afterwards it's many times worse than it would have been if you had just dealt with them earlier. Maybe it's just me, my depression is verging on chronic already. Letting the sadness consume you is definitely not a good thing, and trying to avoid the analysis paralysis is a good strategy, but I've found it to be more effective to dwell on it for a while, sort of being aware of the sadness and trying to be realistic about it until it passes. Finding the balance is difficult, though.

Banned

I've been chronically depressed my whole life. I wonder what it would take to make me sit around with a lobotomized dead smile on my lips all the day. Oh I know! A lobotomy.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    ESF?
    Awww .. Unfortunately even ESF's get sad from time to time .. In my case i don't show it unless i am online purging myself.

I try to smile and remain positive .. What's the alternative? Been there and done that so not an option again as it raised more issues.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The thing about the whole happiness thing is that I dont believe we are hardwired to be either happy or sad, I think we're soft wired to be something no necessarily in between but a kind of balanced equilibrium.

I also think its with good reason that a lot of the earlier religions and philosophies, before the idea of the pursuit of happiness or perfectionism really became entrenched, advocated moderation in all things and achieving a balance instead.

A lot of people who decide they are miserable and are destined to be so are not considering that perhaps what they imagine happiness to be needs some thought. Apart from anything else its not a permanent state, you shouldnt expect to be, at least I dont think so, perpetually happy, its just as bad as wanting to be or feeling perpetually miserable.