User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Lightbulb Group Meditation & Schedule

TIME: MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, SATURDAY, 9am Pacific Standard Time.

California: 9:00 AM
    New York: 12:00 PM
    United Kingdom: 5:00 PM
    Korea: 1:00 AM
    Australia/Victoria: 2:00 AM

Duration: 20 minutes; I'll post in this thread 5-10 minutes before we start.

Meditation instructions:
    1. From SecondBest
    2. From Edahn
    3. From Vipassana
    4. From Soto Zen

Post-meditation: When you're done, please post about how it went and how you feel, good or bad or whatever. We'll do it again next week and maybe during the week for those who can't participate tomorrow morning. (For some of you, "tomorrow" is actually "today".)

We're gonna do it all at the same time. It'll be cool. You can meditate any style you want, and I, as well as some of the other know-it-alls can furnish instructions in this thread. I think we should shoot for something between 15 and 25 minutes.

We have to decide on a time. Weekdays are probably a good time. I think the window of opportunity is somewhere between 9am and 5pm Pacific Standard Time. I'll make a pole (ha) once/if we have some interest.

After we can talk about what happened. Next time we can try a little ESP experiment. That'll be neat.

Who's in? What's a good time? A good day? (There will not be any phone calling, sorry.)

Also, we should probably get a meditation smiley.
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 09-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why should you meditate?

Meditation's a way to change your relationship to your thoughts and to the world. Meditation isn't blanking your mind and doesn't require control of your thoughts. In fact, meditation might better be described as relinquishing control of your need to get somewhere and accomplish something. In that sense, meditation is unlike any other activity, save maybe art and dancing.

Who cares? You'll just have to try it for yourself, but the idea is this: when you give up control, the sense of desperation that habitually underlies your experience dissolves. You still think, you still breath, you still see exist, but your existence takes on a relaxed feeling. You naturally develop a powerful sense of peace from inside that's hard to shake.

There're other ways of explaining the goal and technique behind meditation, but that's a summary of my approach.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    You'll just have to try it for yourself, but the idea is this: when you give up control, the sense of desperation that habitually underlies your experience dissolves. You still think, you still breath, you still see exist, but your existence takes on a relaxed feeling. You naturally develop a powerful sense of peace from inside that's hard to shake.
    My own personal experiences with meditation aside, I agree it can be an illuminating experience, but it'll all depend on where you stand as you approach it. And Edahn, I read the message you sent me a week ago or so again, and this is how I see the self-reflection vs meditation thing now. Based on what we said about the Jewish hermeneutic approach, meditation is the "finding God" part and the self-reflection is the post-inspiration rational analysis. So meditation could be described as airing out your dirty laundry without washing it and waiting for all the dirty scents to come out, and then isolating each scent and analyzing it to determine the source and how to effectively clean it. It's a rough analogy, but it'll do for now until I can come up with something better. Open yourself up, wait, observe what comes out, remember what comes out, analyze, interpret, and resolve. This would be my approach.

So count me in. Just give me a time - I'm available whenever.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Let's do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'll do it. 3-5 pm PST would be ideal for me. Not sure about the others.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm interested. I think I may do something similar to meditation, but I've never had instruction or even read up on it...
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

You. Actually. Want. Me. To. Sit. Still.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I have to agree. It can be tough.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think we should make it a rule that it's INTPs only. These extroverted sensors will interfere with the Vulcan mindmeld.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I could do it if I was allowed to doze, nap, snooze or slumber, otherwise I'm with the ADHD-inspired ESTP!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I think we should make it a rule that it's INTPs only. These extroverted sensors will interfere with the Vulcan mindmeld.
    Don't leave out the INFPs. They can sit still and do nothing for just as long as INTPs can. Weirdos!