User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    My own personal experiences with meditation aside, I agree it can be an illuminating experience, but it'll all depend on where you stand as you approach it. And Edahn, I read the message you sent me a week ago or so again, and this is how I see the self-reflection vs meditation thing now. Based on what we said about the Jewish hermeneutic approach, meditation is the "finding God" part and the self-reflection is the post-inspiration rational analysis. So meditation could be described as airing out your dirty laundry without washing it and waiting for all the dirty scents to come out, and then isolating each scent and analyzing it to determine the source and how to effectively clean it. It's a rough analogy, but it'll do for now until I can come up with something better. Open yourself up, wait, observe what comes out, remember what comes out, analyze, interpret, and resolve. This would be my approach.

So count me in. Just give me a time - I'm available whenever.
    I would agree, but I would add a restriction that the analysis can only be done if the mind is already quiet and still. Otherwise, if you're too busy analyzing in the early stages, you can disturb the observational stage.

For me personally, I just try to observe. The observation is healing in itself, especially when you observe the physical feelings that correspond with the moods that come and go.

Since you've meditated before, would you like to give some concise instructions? I'll post mine too and people can decide.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'll do it. 3-5 pm PST would be ideal for me. Not sure about the others.
    Sounds good. I think we'll set it up for Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    I'm interested. I think I may do something similar to meditation, but I've never had instruction or even read up on it...
    What do you do? Would you like to try something different? I'm gonna post my instructions in a minute. You can try it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    You. Actually. Want. Me. To. Sit. Still.
    YES! It's very rewarding and important. It's exercise for the mind. :workout:

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I think we should make it a rule that it's INTPs only. These extroverted sensors will interfere with the Vulcan mindmeld.
    I think we should exclude nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I could do it if I was allowed to doze, nap, snooze or slumber, otherwise I'm with the ADHD-inspired ESTP!
    I usually get sleepy at one point. It's part of the process. If you stay awake or open your eyes wide, it passes.

I think I want to try it, but wait, I'm not 100% sure I understand it. We are all meditating by ourselves, in different places, but at the same time?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Oh, oops. I meant what I said in regard to the entire meditation-self-reflection process. I wouldn't analyze at all until after the actual meditation is over. And even then maybe take at least half an hour to get your brain slowly back to normal activity mode.

Concise instructions during meditation? Well, this is my own way of doing it, but bear in mind, I've had a history of being super tense and my mind was never going anywhere other than full speed. I found a lot of meditation techniques never worked for me - and had to kind of bring together different bits and pieces to come up with one that suited me. No matter what, I could never be too relaxed. If you tend to be super tense and anxious, in meditating, I don't think you can ever be in too relaxed a position. But here's what has worked for me.

Get in a comfortable position. Lie down even - but keep your palms up. If you can manage it without any extra tension, put the soles of your feet together. Ideally you want the energy in your body to become something of a closed circuit. If you feel any tension, don't do it. The goal is to be as relaxed as possible, no matter what position you are in. Open yourself up. Wait. And like Edahn said, just observe.

Any thinking/analysis should come after the meditation is over.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I think I want to try it, but wait, I'm not 100% sure I understand it. We are all meditating by ourselves, in different places, but at the same time?
    Yeah, I think that's the idea. And it'd be cool to see if we come up with any similar visions or thoughts together.
    Last edited by SecondBest; 08-27-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added a few things

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'll give it a go. I'm not so great with meditation, i find it hard to still myself, myself.

I'm going by GMT here and not sure of time differences but if it's after 10.30pm i'll sign up.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Lightbulb Edahn's Meditation Instructions

Setting: Find a quiet place without too much going on. It doesn't have to be totally silent, just relatively quiet and still. I like places that are uncluttered without too much "information" floating around clogging up your mind.

Posture: Posture is important, as your mind will reflect your posture. Too tense, and your mind will be tense and calculating; too lazy and your mind will be unfocused and hazy. Buddha compared the mind to a lute: too tense or too lax, and it doesn't work right. It's the same with posture. You want to sit upright, with attention, back straight and comfortable, not strained, but not collapsed. Your feet should be planted on the floor in a way that makes you feel steady.

If you sit in a chair, try and sit without resting your back on the backrest.

If you sit on carpet or a blanket, use a cushion or pillow to prop your butt off the floor 5 inches, give or take. You can fold your knees into a few positions. I sit in Burmese style which kinda looks like this:

The knees touch the floor, but the legs aren't folded above each other. You can try rotating your pelvis backward so your lower back is flat and your stomach is a little pushing forward.

Another style I sometimes sit in is Japanese:

You can put a cushion under your butt and over your heels, or straddle a big cushion in between your legs, like a saddle. Both postures are pretty comfy.

Sitting: My style of sitting has been influenced by Zen and Vipassana meditation. I'm not a meditation expert, but this is what I do, and I generally get "good" results.

Meditation is not about control. Your mind wants to control everything your experience and get somewhere, i.e., make progress. When you sit down to meditate, you expect to make some kind of progress. In meditation, you do make progress, but it's not by using your mind and calculating or thinking. It's by giving up the need to make any progress at all. You're standing up to the mind's persistent, frantic concern that it needs to make progress and get somewhere.

So in meditation, you're giving up the need to get anywhere and you're just seeing where you already are. I'm breathing. I'm sitting. I'm maybe confused. Maybe a little curious. You can test it out right now. What is going on when you're not trying to get anywhere? Not trying to understand? Not trying to resolve things? Not trying to make progress? What does your experience look like? You don't have to answer with words.

So meditation is not about arriving at a destination. It's about seeing where you already are without needing to do anything to your experience. Without having to modify it, manipulate it, comprehend it, store it, or learn from it. That'll happen on its own.

When you first try it, you'll get an immediate feeling on Being without thinking. The mental narrative will likely pause and you're just listening. What often happens is your mind begins commenting and observing. Before you know it, you're back to planning and trying to "figure it out." That's okay and it's natural. But if you can, you want to come back to watching what's here, rather than analyzing what's here. A good way to do that is to watch your breath. You don't need to look for anything in particular. Just watch the sensations that are already happening when you breathe. Your body might feel like it's expanding and collapsing. Stay with it without commenting on it. If commenting starts, just realize it and come back to watching the breath without any particular agenda or need to arrive at some goal. It might seem boring or pointless, but do it.

That's it for my technique. Remember, it's not a goal. You're not getting to a special state of mind. You're just arriving and looking at where you already are. You don't have to get anywhere.

We still need a meditation smiley.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    No, we're meeting at your house next week.

Yeah, we're gonna meditate separately, but coordinate the time together so we're all sitting "together."

Anyone can do it and the more people who participate, the better.

I just posted some instructions, but I can provide some more if you'd like. There's isn't that much to "understand." So if you're a little confused, that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    No, we're meeting at your house next week.
    Ahaha... I think a part of me would secretly love that, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Yeah, we're gonna meditate separately, but coordinate the time together so we're all sitting "together."

Anyone can do it and the more people who participate, the better.

I just posted some instructions, but I can provide some more if you'd like. There's isn't that much to "understand." So if you're a little confused, that's okay.
    No it makes sense. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something. Cool this will be interesting. I hope I don't forget to do it...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ----

i would do this. i'd prefer a weekend day though as time differences mean i'll be at work during the nominated time and my boss likes me to work instead of meditate - he's a knuckle dragger like that.

i like to sit in half lotus. it's the posture that feels right for me.

all you hyped up types - learning to meditate has been a great thing for me. it gives me MORE spunky energy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What's the time differential vortex between Pacific Standard Time and Aussie Aussie Aussie Time?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

We've got some good responses! Some people have asked for weekends. Does that work better for everyone? We can do a pilot this weekend if people want on Sunday afternoon.