User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    how are you sitting? hips raised/sitting on
    several cushions can alleviate the pain.

mind wandering is normal, i've been sitting
    for years and it still happens sometimes
    especially when i'm sitting in the city...
    important thing is to bring it back to your
    focus/breath... don't force your mind...

if you have a physical-emotion reaction
    (ie tears, crying) just let it pass through
    you...

awareness is the key.
    I should probably try sitting on several cushions. I was sitting on the wooden floor. I think part of the pain could also have been 'mental' (I can't find a more accurate and descriptive word right now) as the past few weeks have been anxiety-ridden ones.

Thanks for the advice!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Saturday, at 9am, I took off running on the trails so I would be back in time to shower by 11am, the title of the thread's specified time.

I had the water on a lukewarm setting.. borderlining slightly warm and cool, so that it would stay a consistent temperature for longer. I kept the light off, and just let the natural light from the window come in. I didn't sit, I stood. I like standing. I just stood there and let the water rain straight down on me, and I had no idea what I wanted to think about or meditate on.. so I just cleared my mind.

To clear my mind, I generally pull back to a dream I've had previously, and pay attention to the details.. In this case, I thought of the river I dream about.

I didn't have anything in mind to think about going into it.. but I certainly had questions coming out of it. The river is always a symbol of life, and where I am in it, in my dreams.. if I'm on the right track, if I'm doing what I want to be doing, etc. I've been questioning the decisions I've been making, if I'm truly doing what I want to be doing.. and I've decided I was.. but not entirely.

It's left me with a lot of room for thought. It was a really good meditation session, even if my fingers were pruny at the end of it
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Okay, so I meditated in a cozy spot outside. I still find it very difficult to calm my mind down, and just focus on breathing. Although, I did get to a point where I could sort of feel myself sway around with the wind a bit and it was pretty calming. I thought about myself, fantasized about a woman, and some thoughts I had on the mind popped up here and there. I didn't really try to direct anything, but if I found myself dwelling and starting to dissect things I would focus on the breathing again.

I still don't think I'm doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I thought about myself, fantasized about a woman, and some thoughts I had on the mind popped up here and there. I didn't really try to direct anything, but if I found myself dwelling and starting to dissect things I would focus on the breathing again.

I still don't think I'm doing it right
    there's really no right or wrong. but i have the same approach as you.
    meditation is about having awareness. thoughts will come in and out
    of your head -- that's normal -- we're not enlightened yet...

but the key bit you got it.. you don't dwell... let it pass through you,
    just be aware of it... and let it go
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Krishnamurti: So where does silence begin? Does it begin when thought ends? Have you ever tried to end thought?

Questioner: How do you do it?

Krishnamurti: I don't know, but have you ever tried it? First of all, who is the entity who is trying to stop thought?

Q: The Thinker

K: It's another thought, isn't it? Thought is trying to stop itself, so there is a battle between the thinker and the thought..... Thought says, 'I must stop thinking because then I shall experience a marvelous state.'... One thought is trying to suppress another thought, so there is conflict. When I see this as a fact, see it totally, understand it completely, ...then the mind is quiet. This comes about naturally and easily when the mind is quiet to watch, to look, to see.'

I'm rereading this book about right brain development and how meditation can help us tune into the natural conscious state of the right hemisphere which is nonverbal, nonrational, atemporal but all too often drowned out by the left - which Western education seems to cultivate and value to the exclusion of all else. It's this silencing of the constant verbal noise and analysis/criticism of the left hemisphere that results in the peaceful, present state. That's one theory anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Meditation helped me a lot through darker years. I have to say, it's sort of like praying in that I normally turn to it when I'm in need of help, but forget it when I don't even though it could be just as helpful then.

It's a cool thread Jock. :3 I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all. It's not the absense of thought.. it's the acknowledgement of thought connecting to the body and through it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Setting: Find a quiet place without too much going on...
    I think for most intents and purposes, TWHS's instructions are the best way to go. Like some of you have written already, the key is just awareness and watching your thoughts go through you. Any goals you might have in meditation would be reflected in your posture - imo. You really shouldn't have any goals or direction concerning your actual thoughts - right posture and breathing will put you in certain states. The key is to just watch and observe, like many of you have said.

Some additional notes regarding posture:

Think of your body as an energy pump that flows energy into the world. And be aware that most of your energy will flow out from your palms/fingers, the soles of your feet, and the top of your head. Being still and keeping your posture straight lines up energy sources in your body called chakra points, allowing for maximum flow of energy. I wouldn't get too worked up about the details, honestly, and just do whatever is comfortable for you. The idea is to become better aware of what swims inside your psyche.

Stillness and keeping these "exit doors" of energy open and unrestricted is what allows your body and mind to flush out the thoughts, anxieties, and stresses inside you and dissipate into the world - leaving you feeling refreshed. Many, if not all, meditation postures/techniques are developed with this objective in mind. There are a lot of details I'm less familiar with, but this is how I generally understand it.

I hope this helps and clears things up and isn't too confusing.

ADDITIONAL NOTE FOR THOSE INTERESTED:
    Personally, I've found that most times this isn't enough for me. And so for those who are looking to flush out certain negative or dark thoughts far deep inside, I recommend this approach as it has done wonders for me. I haven't been able to find an image or diagram explaining this, but here it goes:

The central idea here is to create a closed circuit of energy in your body. This way the energy will build up inside you, washing up subconscious thoughts that are resting deep, deep, DEEP inside you. It'd be like... the difference between eating spicy food to clean out your colon vs. going through a thorough colon cleansing regimen.

Posture is basically soles together, palms together - in any way you feel comfortable. As TWHS said, you don't want to be too comfortable, though personally, I've never been in a position I felt was too comfortable. You can be lying down, you can be sitting up - whatever. Just make sure your soles and palms are together and that your chakra points are free and lined up.

Of course, the longer you do it, the deeper it'll work, but ideally, this is a meditation you want to do for at least 20 minutes. If most meditation techniques are about connecting your energy with the world, this one is about closing that energy within yourself to flush yourself out deeply and thoroughly. Keeping that energy swishing inside you, and building up intensity and strength over time. For me, there have been a lot of interesting thoughts that have come out in this state that have proved to be instrumental in becoming aware of my deepest issues.

Immediately after your meditation, lie down with your palms facing up and your feet comfortably resting about shoulder width apart. This will allow that energy to leave, taking along those deep, dark thoughts with it. I'd say do this for at least 15 minutes.

Hope that helps.

**EDIT** - In order to really maximize energy flow and minimize any restrictions on chakra points, it's best to do this completely naked. Yeah, I'm not joking at all - I'm being serious.
    Last edited by SecondBest; 09-08-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: additional note

figsfiggyfigs

I'm going to start doing this soon. One of my friends has been nagging at me to do it for months now.. it's TIME!

... I must schedule it though.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    I'm going to start doing this soon. One of my friends has been nagging at me to do it for months now.. it's TIME!

... I must schedule it though.
    Do it!!! It's good stuff.

This morning I woke up and my lower back was all wonked out. (Bulging discs, L3/L4)

So, I hobbled around to the kitchen to get an Aleve, hyperextended over the kitchen counter, and cracked out my lower vertebrae.

Then I laid back down on my bed and kicked my legs over my torso to finish out cracking the thoracic vertebrae.

Once I was loose I decided to try meditating again while waiting for the Aleve to kick in. Similar results as my first attempt.

SecondBest's advice a post or two above is great. It was alot easier for me to focus on my breathing and keep my thoughts suppressed when my feet were pressed together and my hands were also situated to "complete the circuit." Thanks for keeping my strategy on track!

It's interesting to me how much "energy" can course through one's body, even when totally factored away from the thoughts it usually is coupled with. Once that stuff cycles through me for a few minutes I "go black" as in my mind is OFF and it is KICK ASS.

I maintained it for twenty minutes and then stretched out, palms up, feet apart, and exhaled - aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh..... My back was perfect, and my mind was CALM. That is extremely, extremely rare for me, especdially CALM and FUNCTIONAL at the same time.

I'm having a damn good day at this point.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Alright. When's the next group sitting?