4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

:spikes the kool aid:
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Heh. Meditation isn't really religious. It's more psychology and introspection than anything else. There's no deity, no worship, and does not require that you suspend your common sense. Buddhism and other mystical traditions are actually kind of scientific, it's just a science of mind that's hard to verify without personal experience. It's scientific in the sense that it's methodical, rational, and isn't based on authority.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Meditating in 5 minutes...

EDIT:

Start Time: 6:00 AM EST
    End Time: 6:21 AM EST

Findings:
    - I woke up at 5:45 AM.

- As usual I was hungry, so I had half a cup of coffee and a small piece of chocoloate to eradicate that distraction.

- I cracked my back and stretched a minute or two to set myself up for being comfortable (I have two bulging discs in L3/L4 so I keep track of my level of "spinal comfort" constantly to avoid pain attacks).

- I went into my den, dimmed the lights, kidnapped two pillows from the sofa, sat down on the floor, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath.

- Getting comfortable was not too difficult, but I did need to switch between the "Indian" position and the "Japanese" position to spare my lower back about halfway through. I'm fairly limber though, I used to be able to do front splits. I agree with SecondBest, that it just "feels better" when your body is connected in a such a way to form a circuit. Soles of feet touching each other accomodated this, as SecondBest noted. Also, I found it better if I kept my thumbs open and did not let them drop and touch my index fingers.

Clearing My Mind:
    This was easier than I thought. I just got back from a vacation, four days at Mom and Dads. I was very busy while I was there, but it was good to be home, and it was MY time, and MY agenda, so the busy-ness was acceptable, and not stressful.

Initially my brain did try to "wander" and think about the trip, or work, or other simple thoughts, but each time I just relaxed and thought about what was stated earlier in this thread about "observing where I was at in the moment, and that's that." That worked very well, actually. If anything it was kind of a "happy state" in that I stopped my brain from thinking, and just existed. It was MY time again, just like on my vacation. By insisting that my brain cease its (endless and continual since birth) rambling, I created peace. Sometimes these moments lasted seconds, sometimes it appeared to be minutes. It was really cool!

Whenever I got back to my "happy state" I noticed something interesting and almost profound. My breathing was BETTER, it was EASIER to breathe, and I breathed MORE DEEPLY. It was almost as every breath was a FULL BREATH, and to a guy who had asthma as a kid, it was great.

So, between the occasional postural adjustment to get comfortable, and the occasional "reset" of shutting my mind down, and getting back to the observational state, my first crack at this was in fact fairly easy and most certainly enjoyable. I am going to do the M-W-F sessions during the week, and T-R-S go jogging in the morning to keep my cardiovascular health up, and drop the 1-2 pounds my Mom helped me put on over the weekend. I ate an entire cake except for two pieces (one for my brother, and one for my niece, LOL!) in one day.

I'm at a point in my life where I am trying to define a new baseline for myself. I am quite happy, but very, very busy, and any tool I can wield to manage the stress associated with being over-commited to career and school is a welcome weapon in my arsenal of personal happiness toolkit.

CONCLUSION:
    Meditation is good for me and I like it.

END of MY SESSION:
    My wife came into the den and said: "You've got yourself locked in here pretty good." I told her "I was meditating." She said "You do that?" I said "Two different ENTPs on the TypC board recommended it independently in the past 6 months, so I am giving it a try. My wife: "Oh God. You're listening to ENTPs." :horor:

Thanks for the recommendation to try this out, Edahn.

I owe you and OneMoreTime for compelling me to try this, as I just did not think that it would work for me, as being "peaceful" and "still" is unlike my default state, but I could not have been more wrong.

Have a great day everyone!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

NPcomplete

I tried meditating but not at the same time as (almost) everyone else because I couldn't remember the scheduled times and was busy at other times.

I've done it 3 times now and I'm still having trouble preventing my mind from meandering. Finally I decided to use instrumental music because I always focus better when there's music in the background. I'll try to get rid of the music gradually though.

The first thing I noticed was the fatigue. It's as if I could literally feel the weight of all my woes on my shoulders. I tried to push the weight away and felt a lot of relief after my little session.

This was a very interesting experience so thank you for introducing that.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm in. I tend to think better when I'm naked, so sometimes I meditate in the shower until the water runs cold and reminds me. But as long as the location doesn't matter I'm in.

If you got Halla to sit still, I'm convinced it's got to be good for something.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Sometimes its important to experience the opposite of your default, sorta like turning out a backpack to get all those remaining bits of dust out that you can't pick out yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Meditating in 5 minutes...

EDIT:

Start Time: 6:00 AM EST
    End Time: 6:21 AM EST

Findings:
    - I woke up at 5:45 AM.

- As usual I was hungry, so I had half a cup of coffee and a small piece of chocoloate to eradicate that distraction.

- I cracked my back and stretched a minute or two to set myself up for being comfortable (I have two bulging discs in L3/L4 so I keep track of my level of "spinal comfort" constantly to avoid pain attacks).

- I went into my den, dimmed the lights, kidnapped two pillows from the sofa, sat down on the floor, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath.

- Getting comfortable was not too difficult, but I did need to switch between the "Indian" position and the "Japanese" position to spare my lower back about halfway through. I'm fairly limber though, I used to be able to do front splits. I agree with SecondBest, that it just "feels better" when your body is connected in a such a way to form a circuit. Soles of feet touching each other accomodated this, as SecondBest noted. Also, I found it better if I kept my thumbs open and did not let them drop and touch my index fingers.

Clearing My Mind:
    This was easier than I thought. I just got back from a vacation, four days at Mom and Dads. I was very busy while I was there, but it was good to be home, and it was MY time, and MY agenda, so the busy-ness was acceptable, and not stressful.

Initially my brain did try to "wander" and think about the trip, or work, or other simple thoughts, but each time I just relaxed and thought about what was stated earlier in this thread about "observing where I was at in the moment, and that's that." That worked very well, actually. If anything it was kind of a "happy state" in that I stopped my brain from thinking, and just existed. It was MY time again, just like on my vacation. By insisting that my brain cease its (endless and continual since birth) rambling, I created peace. Sometimes these moments lasted seconds, sometimes it appeared to be minutes. It was really cool!

Whenever I got back to my "happy state" I noticed something interesting and almost profound. My breathing was BETTER, it was EASIER to breathe, and I breathed MORE DEEPLY. It was almost as every breath was a FULL BREATH, and to a guy who had asthma as a kid, it was great.

So, between the occasional postural adjustment to get comfortable, and the occasional "reset" of shutting my mind down, and getting back to the observational state, my first crack at this was in fact fairly easy and most certainly enjoyable. I am going to do the M-W-F sessions during the week, and T-R-S go jogging in the morning to keep my cardiovascular health up, and drop the 1-2 pounds my Mom helped me put on over the weekend. I ate an entire cake except for two pieces (one for my brother, and one for my niece, LOL!) in one day.

I'm at a point in my life where I am trying to define a new baseline for myself. I am quite happy, but very, very busy, and any tool I can wield to manage the stress associated with being over-commited to career and school is a welcome weapon in my arsenal of personal happiness toolkit.

CONCLUSION:
    Meditation is good for me and I like it.

END of MY SESSION:
    My wife came into the den and said: "You've got yourself locked in here pretty good." I told her "I was meditating." She said "You do that?" I said "Two different ENTPs on the TypC board recommended it independently in the past 6 months, so I am giving it a try. My wife: "Oh God. You're listening to ENTPs." :horor:

Thanks for the recommendation to try this out, Edahn.

I owe you and OneMoreTime for compelling me to try this, as I just did not think that it would work for me, as being "peaceful" and "still" is unlike my default state, but I could not have been more wrong.

Have a great day everyone!

-Halla

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

TWHS isn't going to be around this w/e but we should try to keep this going. I know I benefit from being (semi)commited to a schedule, because much as I can see that it's beneficial to do this, I just won't get around to it on my own. It would be interesting to monitor everyone else's progress and experiences too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    I tried meditating but not at the same time as (almost) everyone else because I couldn't remember the scheduled times and was busy at other times.

I've done it 3 times now and I'm still having trouble preventing my mind from meandering. Finally I decided to use instrumental music because I always focus better when there's music in the background. I'll try to get rid of the music gradually though.

The first thing I noticed was the fatigue. It's as if I could literally feel the weight of all my woes on my shoulders. I tried to push the weight away and felt a lot of relief after my little session.

This was a very interesting experience so thank you for introducing that.
    how are you sitting? hips raised/sitting on
    several cushions can alleviate the pain.

mind wandering is normal, i've been sitting
    for years and it still happens sometimes
    especially when i'm sitting in the city...
    important thing is to bring it back to your
    focus/breath... don't force your mind...

if you have a physical-emotion reaction
    (ie tears, crying) just let it pass through
    you...

awareness is the key.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'll do it, but I'm not around to report my progress either. I'll be with you all in spirit. Or something.