User Tag List

View Poll Results: Plastic Surgery, Yes or No?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 44.44%
  • No

30 55.56%
123 Last

Thread: Plastic Surgery

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Plastic Surgery

If yes, where and why? If no, why not?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Not unless I needed reconstructive surgery for some reason.

Edit: Or unless I was wanted by the law or there was a contract out on me.

Edit2: That's as applies to me. I personally dislike pain and care more about my comfort than that of people that have to look at me. My appearance is adequate for my needs and though I have some trepidation about the effects of aging, I doubt I would be willing to undergo a painful procedure and spend money on something that just isn't that important to me.

As far as other people go, I think it's sad that people feel pressure to look a certain way and I often don't consider "improvements" improvements but mostly, I don't care. Except for one of my friends who wants among other things, a nose job. The other stuff I can see. Age and childbearing do stuff to you, but a nose job?? People pay good money to get noses that don't look as good as hers. She should not mess with her nose!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't care if other people get plastic surgery but I kind of like me the way that I am!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

blah! Absolutely not on me, and preferably not on others.

A:The results often look weird, in a distinctly plastic surgery sort of way.

B: It's holy-crap expensive for something essentially unimportant.

C: When it comes to being a fake, artificial person in a superficial kind of way, this is the pinnacle.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I would never get plastic surgery, and I'm a little (but not especially) ashamed to say that I think differently about people who do. I would be hesitant to enter a relationship with someone that has had plastic surgery. Most of the time I think they're trying to fix something that can't be fixed with a new face/nose/pair of breasts. It also indicates that the person places excessive importance on physical perfection.

To be clear, I'm speaking about drastic procedures that seem like self-mutilation to me...face lifts, nose jobs, breast implants, etc. They seem to me like ways to escape yourself. I'm not averse to minor things like getting a tooth fixed or a mole removed for cosmetic reasons. They don't seem as reckless and desperate to me. I realize I'm leaving myself open to a slippery slope argument, but I just feel there is a difference.

Oberon

With the caveat that I reserve the right to skin grafts and other kinds of scar-fixing should they be needed, no. There's not enough surgery out there to make me pretty anyhow.

EDIT: In light of Jennifer's question below, my answer was just for me. I have no opinion on plastic surgery for other people; I consider it a personal decision.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do you mean our opinion in general, or our decision just for ourselves?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Do you mean our opinion in general, or our decision just for ourselves?
    Anything, everything, whatever you wish.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Anything, everything, whatever you wish.
    You're such a flexijen today!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

As with everything else, balance and intent are the key for me. If someone is honestly disappointed with a part of their anatomy, and cosmetic surgery can solve that problem, then why not??

I had a friend back in Uni who got an accidental nose job. She had a deviated septum due to an old broken nose accident, and it was starting to get serious, so her doctor suggested she get it corrected. As it happened, the surgery also changed the shape of her nose from beaky to nicely upturned. She was ever so happily surprised! She would *never* have even thought of getting a cosmetic nose job, because she wasn't bothered by the shape of her nose at all, but she had to admit, as we all did too, that the new nose made her look much cuter (not that she was ugly before). So now, if another girl saw that change in her, and realised that she could get a similar result, well honestly, why should she refrain from getting her own nose job?

Of course, it's a problem when the job is done for reasons other than just to "look cuter" in one's eyes. If, for example, it is done to look cute instead of cuter (as in "I think I'm butt-ugly and cosmetic surgery can make me beautiful"), then it is used to try and heal a psychological problem, and so it's pretty much bound to fail at obtaining the desired result: the psychological problem will most likely just displace itself onto another physical detail. That's the classic case of cosmetic surgery addiction, where the more one gets surgery done, the less one is satisfied with one's appearance, because one is failing to deal with the real problem.

Another circumstance in which I am wary of cosmetic surgery is when someone wants to attain an unreasonable ideal of beauty. Wanting to look 20 when you're 60, that's unreasonable. Wanting to go from size 12 to size 4 (or whatever) solely through cosmetic surgery*, that's unreasonable. Again, such desires, IMO, express an underlying psychological condition, which cannot be correctly treated through cosmetic surgery alone.

(*: I'm talking liposuccion and stuff like that here, not gastroplasty, which can indeed accomplish such a result, but can hardly be classified as plastic surgery!)

I'm also personally against cosmetic surgery on teenagers, except if health is in jeopardy (but then it's not strictly cosmetic surgery anymore anyway). Reducing overly big breasts that unbalance the whole body is one thing. Creating big breasts at a time when a girl's self-image is constantly in flux is another. But then again, there are the cases where *psychological* health is at risk. For example, some truly flat-chested girls don't take well the years of social stigma, no matter how much psychological support they get. So why insist on maintaining them in a social nightmare, when a simple surgery could give them a reasonable chest and spare them all the hurt and humiliation? So I suppose in such cases the surgery could very well be the most reasonable option.

So really, I have no hard and fast rule when it comes to cosmetic surgery. I think it's perfectly justified and reasonable in some cases, totally unjustified and/or unreasonable in some others, and a mix of both in pretty much all other cases.

As for personally? Lasik is one type of cosmetic surgery I've thought about from time to time, but never bothered to actually get done. The only other type of cosmetic surgery I could ever imagine wanting would be skin reduction, if for some fantasmagoric reason (like, it's that or I die in the next two months :rolli I underwent some kind of gastroplasty and I lost so much weight so fast that I would have all that skin hanging all over the place :eek: Other than that, I'm pretty happy with what I've got, thankyouverymuch I won't lie and pretend that I wouldn't love it if I could have LESS of me in quite a few places, but I REALLY do NOT see cosmetic surgery as a good way to obtain that kind of result!!